What exactly is a muse?

kathyrose

The Bargain Hunter
O.G.
Dec 12, 2005
I need help. I have been described by some of my SO's friends as their muse (I'm the only girl who comes along to whatever they do as me and my SO are pretty much inseperable when were together in town and I'm considered as one of the boys) and I never thought much about it. But then a close friend of mine (one of my best friends as of recently) described me as his muse as our relationship is really undefinable by either of us. It's like he's the yin and I'm his yang but we're in relationships with other people (he's married and I will eventually be in a few years). I'm a little confused as what it exactly means when he referred me as his muse (the best word he could find that defines what I am to him). I know that it's in a very different context as when my SO's friends call me their muse (as a group). I can't provide much more information but I'd really like to know if any of you guys have any idea what this means or can break it down for me. I've been through a lot of stuff that he wants to take me away from, make me forget cause they're all bad things. He wishes he could do more to erase it but he can't. Any thoughts?

A muse is an inspirational or fun object/person.
For example, sometimes a designer likes a specific model because he is inspried by her and it gets him creative again.
That's how it's commonly used when I hear it.

here's the definition though:
muse
thinsp.png
/myuz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[myooz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, mused, mus·ing.
premium.gif

–verb (used without object) 1.to think or meditate in silence, as on some subject. 2.Archaic. to gaze meditatively or wonderingly. –verb (used with object) 3.to meditate on. 4.to comment thoughtfully or ruminate upon.

A muse is an inspirational or fun object/person.
For example, sometimes a designer likes a specific model because he is inspried by her and it gets him creative again.
That's how it's commonly used when I hear it.

here's the definition though:
muse
thinsp.png
/myuz/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[myooz]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationverb, mused, mus·ing.
premium.gif

–verb (used without object) 1.to think or meditate in silence, as on some subject. 2.Archaic. to gaze meditatively or wonderingly. –verb (used with object) 3.to meditate on. 4.to comment thoughtfully or ruminate upon.
Ooooh! Thank you for breaking it down for me Swanky! I knew the dictionary definition but didn't know a more literal meaning as to how it applies to me but you explained it well. :yes: Again, much thanks!

yeah, teh dictionary sin't how people usually mean it.

Did you ever see the movie w/ Sharon Stone called "The Muse"?
She was a 'muse' for a writer w/ write's block. . . she helped get him creative again, inspired him.

In Greek Mythology, the Muses were nine daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne (a Titan whose name means Memory.)

(I got this from the Illustrated Dictionary of Mythology by Philip Wilkinson and The Encyclopedia of Mythology by Arthur Cotterell.)

They were originally deities associated with mountains and springs. Later they became goddesses of the arts and followers of Apollo, who was given the title Apollo Musagetes (Leader of the Muses).

The Muses lived on Mount Helicon in Boeotia near a spring called Hippocrene. They used to dance and sing at parties held by the god and heroes.

For the Greeks, the Muses were the inspiration of poetry, music and dance. Later, other intellectual activities were added to their care.

There was

Calliope: Muse of Epic Poetry
Clio: Muse of History
Erato: Muse of Lyric Poetry
Euterpe: Muse of Instrumental Music
Melpomene: Muse of Tragedy
Polyhymnia: Muse of Mime
Terpsichore: Muse of Dancing
Thalia: Muse of Comedy
Urania: Muse of Astronomy

caitlin1214, that was the definition I know of but I've heard the term before used on a person and I just have never thought about it much. I was thinking I'm not a goddess of anything so I was kind of confused about it. Thanks for posting that!

From your description, it seems like they are using it in a confusing way. I've always heard it used as synonymous with inspiration (but implying a greater degree). You're my muse=you inspire me. Especially in the artistic/creative context. I've never heard it used to mean one of the boys? Next time they say that, you should ask them what you inspire them to do! Of course, maybe your boyfriend won't like their answers... ;)

Thank you ladies! I know that it's confusing a bit cause my SO's friends jokingly called me their muse but I think it's more like the only female part of the group that they look up to. With my other guy friend however, he's using it in a different tone/sense than SO's friends. That's where I got confused cause I wasn't sure what I'm "inspiring" him of. Thanks again for all your help! I'm much less confused now. :yes: