What does your husband/boyfriends/friends think of your MJ obsession????

dizzywizzy

BBag OCD Sufferer
O.G.
Sep 29, 2008
Ok, after being on this thread, I've tried to explain to my husband, and a few friends about what it entails and some of the threads, (reveals, freaky, etc.) and everyone looks at me like I AM CRAZY!!!

Does everyone else get this too??

I have a 3-4 purse limit (I work from home, so no need for more), but for these lucky gals who have MJ collections that look like they own a boutique...I am very curious to know how your significant others feel about it.

Do they give you grief for buying so many bags? Issues with the price? Issues about spending so much time on TPF???

I'm assuming some of the answers will be quit entertaining, so please share!! :smile:

he thinks i'm nuts, but he indulges me. i don't think he can really criticize me though since he has an obsession of his own. he has 1000+ dvds and counting... he'll occassionally help me pick out bags, and he's made an effort to learn some of the bag names. he even has a favorite one (the stones clutch). he's a sweetheart about it overall. he's bought me bags for my birthday and xmas. he even purchased a black stam for my mother! in the end, he understands that it's my money. regardless of how many bags i buy, i help him pay our mortgage, our bills, and buys the food. i chip in a fair amount for all our neccessities, so i never feel as if i have to hide my purchases from him or lie about the prices. he's the best, but that goes without saying, of course.

my friends also think i'm a bit crazy for spending that much cash on handbags, but they're really not judgmental about it and would never make me feel badly for it. it's all good.

Last edited:
he thinks i'm nuts, but he indulges me. i don't think he can really criticize me though since he has an obsession of his own. he has 1000+ dvds and counting... he'll occassionally help me pick out bags, and he's made an effort to learn some of the bag names. he even has a favorite one (the stones clutch). he's a sweetheart about it overall. he's bought me bags for my birthday and xmas. he even purchased a black stam for my mother! he's the best, but that goes without saying, of course.

my friends also think i'm a bit crazy for spending that much cash on handbags, but they're really not judgmental about it and would never make me feel badly for it. it's all good.

That's awesome! Yeah, I think my husband is good with it because every time I buy something I think is too expensive, I get a guilt trip and buy him something too.. :smile:

My husband only says something every few bags now. "Oh good, another bag. You needed one of those!" But really he doesn't harass me. My funny friend/coworker has told me she needs to figure out my husband. He must have some angle on this to accept it.

He was in a band most of his life, so he does have an absurd amount of cds and records. And we do have a basement room FULL of action figures (kiss, star wars, simpsons and such). But really he's just a big sweetheart that spoils his family rotten. He bought me a bag for Mother's Day, he's trying to buy one for my birthday next week too. Even though he sees I buy a couple every week!

Lucky girl!!!!

My husband only says something every few bags now. "Oh good, another bag. You needed one of those!" But really he doesn't harass me. My funny friend/coworker has told me she needs to figure out my husband. He must have some angle on this to accept it.

He was in a band most of his life, so he does have an absurd amount of cds and records. And we do have a basement room FULL of action figures (kiss, star wars, simpsons and such). But really he's just a big sweetheart that spoils his family rotten. He bought me a bag for Mother's Day, he's trying to buy one for my birthday next week too. Even though he sees I buy a couple every week!

my Hubs tolerates it pretty well i think. Ill ask him what he thinks of them and he'll say he likes them all ( he knows better then to pick on my MJ) if i mention to my friends TPF they roll there eyes they dont understand me being on here. I think my hubs understands its just "my thing" I love Fashion, clothes, shoes, jewelery Ect.

I dont pic on his comic collection, he doesnt pic on my MJ collection. Ahh the comprimise of marriage.

my Hubs tolerates it pretty well i think. Ill ask him what he thinks of them and he'll say he likes them all ( he knows better then to pick on my MJ) if i mention to my friends TPF they roll there eyes they dont understand me being on here. I think my hubs understands its just "my thing" I love Fashion, clothes, shoes, jewelery Ect.

I dont pic on his comic collection, he doesnt pic on my MJ collection. Ahh the comprimise of marriage.

Hmmm...seems like a continuing theme...my husband (16 yr old in a 38 yr old body) also has a huge comic book and vinyl album collection...so maybe that's the key (get them also hooked on a guilty pleasure!!!)

My boyfriend is actually sitting right next to me as I type this. He says "I think it's kind of pointless to have more than one bag, but if it's your hobby, then I guess that's okay." This is coming from the man who has spent hundreds of dollars on dirt cars and models and tee-shirts and traveling to races, so I guess he's gotta let me have my thing too.
And let's not even start talking about his Xbox game farm!

See, I need to get DH hooked on collecting something!! The only hobby he really "indulges in" is golf, and while it can be expensive, he isn't constantly buying new clubs, etc. He doesn't play video games, he doesn't collect anything... So while I don't think he really gets it, he does try to play along. He's a pretty good sport about it but at the same time I know deep down he thinks it's a total waste of money and doesn't understand why I would need more than one or two bags.

As for my friends and family, they do NOT get it. I do have a few friends who have Louis Vuitton bags, but for the most part my friends aren't really into bags, or if they are they carry Coach. My mom buys her purses at JCPenneys, my sister doesn't usually even carry one, my neighbors are all pretty basic with their wardrobes - lots of Eddie Bauer, KWIM?

All I can say is: THANK GOODNESS FOR TPF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, I need to get DH hooked on collecting something!! The only hobby he really "indulges in" is golf, and while it can be expensive, he isn't constantly buying new clubs, etc. He doesn't play video games, he doesn't collect anything... So while I don't think he really gets it, he does try to play along. He's a pretty good sport about it but at the same time I know deep down he thinks it's a total waste of money and doesn't understand why I would need more than one or two bags.

As for my friends and family, they do NOT get it. I do have a few friends who have Louis Vuitton bags, but for the most part my friends aren't really into bags, or if they are they carry Coach. My mom buys her purses at JCPenneys, my sister doesn't usually even carry one, my neighbors are all pretty basic with their wardrobes - lots of Eddie Bauer, KWIM?

All I can say is: THANK GOODNESS FOR TPF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is also one of the reasons i'm grateful that i work with a bunch of older men. i bring in a different bag everyday and they don't even notice. they really couldn't care less. in fact, they wouldn't even notice if i wore the same outfit everyday. :lol: however, i know that if i were in an office filled with women, there's bound to be that one girl who would make me feel like crap for having too many bags and/or spending xxx amount of money on them. i hate to denigrate my gender in any way, but i've read stories on here about female coworkers googling the prices of bags when a member refused to tell them how much they paid for it. out of control!

My hubby doesn't seem to mind too much...he indulges me for the most part and even gives his opinion on them!! He likes marc jacobs becuase of all of the selection...sometimes I get an eye roll or a why do you need the same bag in 3 colors (he doesn't get that part) but he actually prefers to buy at the boutique rather than me scouring ebay....(he is AWESOME RIGHT??????) He knows I put more thought into a full priced boutique bag than a bargain on the bay...so he is cool.
My sister thinks I am totally out of my mind...she buys bags at target and doesn't mind it a bit..doesn't get the whole $1500 for a bag thing. She has 3 coach bags that I gave her and likes them but that's the extent of her understanding.
My Mom loves my bags...but doesn't get why they cost so much! (she has great taste but is old school...had 5 kids..so she still htinks of others first...(sweet isn't she?)
I live in Vegas so most people have expensive bags in the area of town that I live in..so I am pretty much in the norm here...
I feel at home here...!!! MY PEEPS!!!

Oh and my hubby has 3 game systems (ps3, wii, and xbox360) along with games, controllers, etc....he has guns (i know but are stored responsibly) golf clubs, golf...motorcycle..kegerator...etc etc etc so he pretty much deals...and deals well..my only vice is bags and clothes...and clothes i do my damndest to find on sale...

Crazy, Tad!! I have the opposite - no one even notices my bags, lol! And if I talk about TPF peoples' eyes either glaze over or they start laughing hysterically. :rolleyes:

lucky you! i've been burned by the *****y treatment before over a bag, and even though you tell yourself that their opinion doesn't matter, it still makes carrying and enjoying them in the workplace that much more uncomfortable. and i'm not even talking about the flashier styles, but the more subdued ones like the scc's. overall, i think it has a lot to do with age and maturity. i can see younger women making hurtful, flippant comments more so than wiser, secure women.

What a fun topic! I just asked my boyfriend what he thinks over text messaging (he's currently 500 miles away), and he says: "I think it's a good obsession to pick out of all the things that could have been. :smile: It makes you very fashionable, and I've learned a lot of useful things because of it. [blackonmaroon notes here that other than what I've explained to him, he knows nothing about our areas of expertise besides t-shirts and jeans.] I like MJ." Hahaa isn't that sweet? :love:

None of my friends are into handbags, so whenever I'm in a quandary about whether or not I like a bag or I have to choose between two (or three, four, five, etc.) I have to ask him. It's useful because he's very honest and frank about his opinions, and it helps me think a bit more clearly when my mind's clouded by my unhealthy obsession. I pay for it all myself, of course, so fortunately that's not an issue. :yes: