What does your husband/boyfriends/friends think of your MJ obsession????

Definitely - if someone makes a negative comment like that you have to feel it stems from insecurity or jealousy. Sad but true. I've had friends say, "Ooh, love your bag! Oh, Marc Jacobs! Out of my league!" or things like that, but never in a judgmental way, more in an appreciative way. And being smack dab in the middle of the heartland, there are probably very few women who even know the difference between my MJ bags and ones you'd find at Target. To me that's part of the appeal.

Oh, and let me add that my boyfriend is obsessed with computers. He builds them, helps people with them at his job, smells them when he gets a new one like I do over the new MJ smell....he's had five brand new ones in two years! So, technically, his obsession is more expensive than mine. :P

Oh Tad - that sucks to think a girl could give you trouble. There are plenty of girls where I work. Most of them like to check out my bags and tease me for being such a weirdo. They are very good sports about it. Even my buddy the 50+ engineer man will come up and check out my bags. He'll feel them as I tell him all the qualities of them :biggrin:

I had a birthday cookout for my son and after the gals got buzzed they wanted to see "the closet" where I store them all. It was like an urban legend. Then they lined up and said they wanted their grown up party favors (an MJ each). Ha!

My husband collects antique rifles, he is restoring a vintage army jeep in my garage, he loves to hunt wild game on faraway trips......and his is a black belt in Hapkido and goes to class everyday....................he can't say A WORD about my bags, lol!!!

He thinks I am nuts, calls me out on new boxes that arrive at the door, but for the most part it's teasing and that's all. He did finally ask the other day, "So, how many MJ's do you own? Be honest" quickly I am weighing my options, do I fib or tell the truth....:angel: "Including accessories?" I ask, hahahaha......"Uh, I thought purses WERE accessories" "Well *technically* I suppose they are, but I meant accessories TO my accesory.......hahahaha........so around 20ish." He just rolled his eyes and kind of laughed, "Don't you think that is just a little obsessive compulsive?"
Hmmmmmmmmmm, :thinking:Nope!

My boyfriend is actually sitting right next to me as I type this. He says "I think it's kind of pointless to have more than one bag, but if it's your hobby, then I guess that's okay." This is coming from the man who has spent hundreds of dollars on dirt cars and models and tee-shirts and traveling to races, so I guess he's gotta let me have my thing too.
And let's not even start talking about his Xbox game farm!

OMG!! this soo much sounds like my DH! he freakin LOVES his xbox and he races gokarts...which is kinda fun but i takes sooo much of his freakin time! :rolleyes: so he can't really say to much but...i kinda keep my self in check....at un-fun and grown up as that sounds...LOL.

My hubby doesn't really understand but he doesn't say much either....he'll just as how much it cost and rolles his eyes...he knows not to say too much b/c our bills are pay and everything it taken care of and its my money i'm spending so he just asks and keeps on trucking...;)...haha took 6 years but he's trained pretty good :supacool:hahaha

Well he hates it when I spend too much time on the computer but he loves fashion and he has a great eye for bags.
Its hysterical really because he is this uber sexy big tattoo'd tough guy who can spot prada heels from a block away.
I have actually decided I dont like having soo many bags (i'm down to4)and want to sell them all, he thought that was a great idea but then he said "but not the red one or the blue one (pom and indigo stella's) because those are my favorites", :P
I totally want to sell them both but now I cant because he loves them!

Last edited:
this is also one of the reasons i'm grateful that i work with a bunch of older men. i bring in a different bag everyday and they don't even notice. they really couldn't care less. in fact, they wouldn't even notice if i wore the same outfit everyday. :lol: however, i know that if i were in an office filled with women, there's bound to be that one girl who would make me feel like crap for having too many bags and/or spending xxx amount of money on them. i hate to denigrate my gender in any way, but i've read stories on here about female coworkers googling the prices of bags when a member refused to tell them how much they paid for it. out of control!

I have had much the same experience, i work with engineers so thankfully they really don't notice or care what bag i have but a few of my friends do make some remarks that could be taken as hurtful and one girl especially goes out of her way to look up how much the bags are. But at the end of the day, all you can do is dismiss it, they are just words after all and if that makes them happy then whatever. Luckily i have one friend who totally understands, her thing is clothes and so she will spend on dresses what most people spend on bags, so she gets the whole 'obsession' thing which is nice

^^ It's interesting... sometimes my friends (one in particular who owns one MJ bag) guilt trips me sort of about my obsession with MJ. Maybe it's me just being obsessive and weird about it, but I really hate it when people point out how expensive my bag is and asks about how expensive it is.

I end up getting strangely defensive to the point where I tell them that I bought it cheaply on eBay, when ultimately I really don't think I need to guilt myself into downplaying whatever I bought.

That's why I personally love shopping by myself without judgments or any extra opinions. Just me, myself and my wallet.

dh doesn't really understand, he's rather thrifty, rarely spends money on his own, but hey I work too, so it's my money I'm spending ... ah marriage is finding compromises ;)

well, hum........ lets see..........I've been collecting handbags for the last 2 yrs.! I managed a handbag store for a few years and the designer (sharif) gave me quite a few of them that have kind of become collector items that I refuse to part with. So I had over 40 bags before I even got hooked on pf! When DH and I merged our households a few years back, the moving guys must have brought in 10 boxes that just said purses. DH was embarrassed and kept telling the guys he was sure there weren't really all purses in there! (yes there were!) He has since gotten better at it and even points out other peoples bags to me. He doesn't really know how much I actually spend on them, it would give him a heart attack. But he also buys golf clubs like it's candy. Our garage looks like a golf store, so he really can't say much. I think he's more wigged about the time I spend on this forum and he can't understand that there are people that you can come and have a conversation with at any time of the day! But he has saved money on the live cashback so he thanks all the lovely ladies here for that. All in all he is getting more accepting and he doesn't give me grief over purchases, maybe an eye roll here or there. But I never put us in debt, we don't have cc debt and I make my own pending money.

As for friends, I do have a few that love purses as well and they are people I've met through DH's work so he here's about from them too. Where I live, even though it is a semi big city, there aren't great shopping places so I don't think too many people would even know what I'm carrying, so I don't get really any looks. It's mostly coach here that everyone aspires to own.

I'm lucky. DH is a gamer, he understands what its like to have a passion about something. Thankfully, his passion is a lot cheaper than mine. ;) I tolerate the weekly gatherings of the socially inept gamers in my dining room, and he tolerates my penchant for pretty things. It works out pretty well.

Hehe, good topic! My boyf says, "Honey, don't you have enough?" I have two "addictions:" fashion and reading. So my closet is about to explode with clothes, shoes, and bags. And my bookshelves are about to keel over with books. One time we did have a discussion about it, but for the most part, he doesn't talk about it. He actually told a friend of mine that he's learned to shop because of me! So I'll take that as a compliment!

He's not one to talk though...he's a computer/gamer geek so he has an expensive hobby/job. But then again, I am a computer geek too. The only argument he's ever thrown my way about the usefulness of fashion is, "At least I use my things for work. What can you say about fashion?" And then I went into a diatribe on how having a professional and stylish image helps me garner the respect of my peers and my students. And he said that I was right. :P

Never mess with an English lit graduate! We'll find a way out of those questions!

ETA: I forgot to say that I did get into a nasty argument (!) with a friend of mine because she thought I spent too much money on fashion and not enough on necessary things. She just attacked me about the subject and, to be honest, I was very hurt. I never expected her to say such things.

Last edited:
My DH doesn't really get it but he accepts that it is something I enjoy. He is just happy for so many easy ideas for birthday/anniversary/Christmas gifts. LOL I usually send him e-mails with links to bags I like then he gets to "surprise" me with his wonderful gift choices. :P He is overall a great guy.