What does new with tags mean to you?

Sep 11, 2008
I won a purse described as new with tags on eBay. I paid and the bag was shipped to me. The seller packaged it very nicely and communicated with me through the process.

I received the bag and after looking at it, I noticed that there are some threads loose on the bag. These are decorative so the bag probably won't fall apart as a result but it's just not pretty.

What would you do? I already contacted the seller who says that she didn't notice it. That may be and the bag appears to be unused. There was not a picture of that area posted in the listing.

This is one of the most common complaints heard on this forum. Buyers receive an item and it is just not quite what they are expecting. If a bag is described as new, mint, pristine etc, all aspects of the bag that are not, e.g. marks, stains, loose threads etc should be disclosed. Whether or not the seller intentionally avoided this area of the bag or really didn't notice it is open for debate. If it bothers you enough, you could ask for a return/refund.

To answer the question, NWT to me means that the item is brand new, unused and includes tags, which may or may not be attached, depending on the brand.

Based on your description of the item you received, it sounds as though the item is new, unused and includes the tags, therefore it's possible that the seller didn't notice (when she purchased or listed the bag) the loose threads you refer to. Unless the bag is a very high-end brand, perfection is fleeting and it's possible that minor imperfections can and do exist.

Depending on how unhappy you are with the bag, you need to decide whether you want to keep it or request a return. However, since the item seems to have been accurately described, you would probably be on the hook for shipping in both directions. (I don't think a partial refund would be approved or should be expected.)

I know that when I buy an item from a store, I'm less apt to scrutinize it because I know it's new. So it's possible that your seller just didn't notice the loose threads and not that she was trying to not disclose them.

I agree with the posters here: it's very possible the seller didn't notice the loose threads because the item is new and it didn't occur to her to look for them. If you're unhappy, I'd ask if she'd take a return- if I was the seller, I definitely would. A new item should be unused and ideally be thoroughly inspected for any damage or wear incurred during the trying-on process or storage. I'm not super particular, so I don't know that it would bother me much unless the bag was extremely expensive, but I would definitely say if it bothers you, you have no reason not to ask the seller if she'll take a return and no reason to feel bad about doing so :smile:.

Dont forget sometimes items are nwt but they are samples, displays or have been tried on in stores multiple times so although there nwt they could have some imperfections that the seller over looked

I agree. The seller probably didn't think she should look because the bag is new with tags. It could possibly be that other customers probably handled the bag or whatnot that could cause this. If it bothers you a lot, I would ask for a refund if possible. I purchased a bag listed as new with tags from a very legit seller and was recommended by the people here on PF. The bag was new with tags but with one loose thread that she didn't state it in the listing, but nonetheless it was authentic and new with tags. So it could very well be that your seller made an honest mistake.

If the bag was in fact purchased as new by the seller in that condition (assuming it wasn't a return from a customer who 'rented' it--- carried it a few times, replaced the tags and returned it as new, all unbeknownst to the next buyer) perhaps it was the best of the lot, or all the bags were like that. Or as already stated, the seller just didn't notice.
There have been a few times that I didn't notice things until I was photographing the item or until I was packing it for shipping. It most assuredly wasn't that I was intentionally trying to deceive----- I honestly never noticed.
To me NWT just means that it was purchased as an uncarried/unused bag and it still has the tags attached (if that is how the manufacturer does it) or included.
It doesn't mean that it is 100% perfect or flaw free. So many companies quality control have taken a dive recently. I see many threads in Prada complaining about stitching on the new bags and such. The bags may be new, but they aren't perfect.
The only way you can guarantee that is to shop for them in person and cherry pick the one you want.

This is from the ebay website:

What "new" means
An item is considered "New" when it meets the following guidelines:

It's in the original condition from the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer.

It has not been refurbished or used for any purpose.

It has no known defects or damages.

Handmade or custom-made items that have never been used for any purpose can also be considered "new."

Note: Item condition is not an indication of the item's age. If you know the age of the item, specify the creation and/or release date of the item (for example, Fall 2008) in the listing description.

Loose threads could be considered a defect. Again, it is something that may have been inadvertently overlooked....or not. Only the seller knows for sure.

You can ask if the seller would take the bag back.

I will say that a lot of sellers on ebay are playing fast and loose with the term "new with/out tags".

Thanks everyone for your Input. I just wanted to know if it's unreasonable to ask to return the item and it seems like it won't hurt to ask.

I think it was something overlooked by the seller. I guess the lesson learned here is to request lots and lots of pictures in the future.

New with tags= new, unused, tags attached (if they come attached to begin with.) Defects should be disclosed.

However, like several others have mentioned, few items truly are flawless and if you look over something with a fine-enough-toothed-comb, you're sure to find something wrong with just about anything. I just bought a brand new beautiful Coach purse yesterday and noticed a couple of variations in the leather. Since it came directly from the store, I'm confident in the purchase. Had I purchased it on ebay, I might've questioned. Maybe not fair of me, when I think about it that way.

Loose threads can mean a lot of things. I love Vera Bradley stuff. I have many bags and accessories and every one of them has come with loose threads here and there. Sometimes I bother to cut them off, sometimes I don't. However, if I resell, I ALWAYS cut them off just so someone else doesn't worry. :smile:

I just wanted to clarify that the loose threads that I am referring to are not just threads that are too long and sticking out. I think that is an easy fix and I actually have a small pair of scissors for that purpose. :smile:

There is decorative stitching on this bag and some of the stitches are broken, with threads hanging. These are the loose threads I am referring to.

When you say the threads are just decorative could it be that they are meant to be that way? Without knowing the particulars of the bag, I am just guessing. If they are not holding anything vital together couldn't they just be snipped? :shrugs:
I bought a bag several years ago and I didn't know that the leather was supposed to look distressed. LOL--- I thought it was damaged, but that was just the way it was.

nm

my gawd I type slow:roflmfao:

poopsie2 said:
When you say the threads are just decorative could it be that they are meant to be that way? Without knowing the particulars of the bag, I am just guessing. If they are not holding anything vital together couldn't they just be snipped? :shrugs:
I bought a bag several years ago and I didn't know that the leather was supposed to look distressed. LOL--- I thought it was damaged, but that was just the way it was.

nm

my gawd I type slow:roflmfao:

On this bag, I don't think it's supposed to be loose because most of the other stitches are intact. (I guess probably 90% fine vs 10% frayed and loose).

This is probably not worth losing a lot of sleep over. I will message the seller and see what she says and go from there.

I definitely can relate to what you thought about distressed leather. Several years ago, I got a bag and was like, why is it all scratched?

I simply define NWT as new, unworn/used, with the tags still attached. That can include "defects" like jeans that have been sent to the in-store tailor, hemmed, and never picked up by the purchaser (I've ended up with a few pairs like this, since they show up at TJs every so often)...but in those cases I'll always mention the hemming. If an item is actually marked IRR/damaged and there really is a defect, I'll note it as New With Defects (but probably still NWT in the title).