What does limited edition really mean?

Tralynn

Apr 30, 2014
Does anyone know how balenciaga defines limited edition? When you buy a limited edition bag what are you getting exactly? Are there 1,000s of bags like yours or perhaps less that 500?

Hmmmmm .. over the years, I have seen Balenciaga use this term "Special/Limited Edition" to describe the following:

• Retailer Specific: for instance, many years back, Balenciaga did "special/limited" editions for Selfridges, Barneys NY and Neiman Marcus. In this particular case, ONLY that retailer carries that bag.
  • Boutique Specific: this is when Balenciaga creates a bag that only the Balenciaga boutiques will carry (example: Dark Violet or the Stardust line)
  • Region Specific: this is when Balenciaga creates a bag that is only sold in a specific region of the World. For instance, Balenciaga created a leopard pony hair bag years ago, specific to the Hong Kong market. They have also produced bags that were only sold in Europe and/or the US.
  • Limited Edition: this is when Balenciaga creates a style, while available in both the boutiques and retail stores, has a limited quantity. Now .. as far as the actually quantity is concerned, who knows? .. Balenciaga never seems to proffer up that #!!

Hmmmmm .. over the years, I have seen Balenciaga use this term "Special/Limited Edition" to describe the following:

• Retailer Specific: for instance, many years back, Balenciaga did "special/limited" editions for Selfridges, Barneys NY and Neiman Marcus. In this particular case, ONLY that retailer carries that bag.
  • Boutique Specific: this is when Balenciaga creates a bag that only the Balenciaga boutiques will carry (example: Dark Violet or the Stardust line)
  • Region Specific: this is when Balenciaga creates a bag that is only sold in a specific region of the World. For instance, Balenciaga created a leopard pony hair bag years ago, specific to the Hong Kong market. They have also produced bags that were only sold in Europe and/or the US.
  • Limited Edition: this is when Balenciaga creates a style, while available in both the boutiques and retail stores, has a limited quantity. Now .. as far as the actually quantity is concerned, who knows? .. Balenciaga never seems to proffer up that #!!
Thanks. I had a feeling you would know from reading your posts. Your an expert!