What does it smell to you?

Alexis.G

Aug 31, 2015
So I have a rather strange question - what does a new item from Goyard smell to you?

For background, I bought something from San Francisco store not too long ago by contacting an SA, who will remain unnamed for now, but I just have this wanton suspicion that I may have fallen victim to a good-old-fashioned switcheroo and got a fake. Now it does sound like paranoia and the item does look authentic at a first glance, but something did felt strange to me.

So what tipped me off?
1) The insides smell like...fish oil/something rancid? The previous items that I have purchased in person in SF smell of the store instead, which is a strange but different smell.
2) I can smell chemicals on the coating, which is again a different smell. I know the traditional coating uses Arabic gum, but they may have changed the formula, and I do not really know what Arabic gum really smell like, now I think of it, so I really would not know.

An argument can be made here, since the item was just made months ago according to the tag and the paint might still be fresh, relatively speaking of course. Yet the trail of clues does not end here, unfortunately.

3) What really annoys/alarms me is that the stitching is not up to the usual standards when put in comparison with my other items.
a) the stitching is less dense, i.e. each segment is larger. I have checked out other people's post of the same item, and it would appear that the stitching is indeed like that for this particular item, but the pictures floating around online could be fakes for all I know.
b) there is a single segment that kind of missed, i.e. it slanted and failed to form a straight line with the others, which made me want to scream fake but I know Goyard has had its problems with quality control before, so there is a possibility that the item is "authentic". After all, I did buy the item from not a third-party but Goyard, though not in person.

Thus I am simply curious if anyone could offer some insight on the subject, and just how much would you trust an SA to mail you an item?

I have bought a few things by calling the SF store and having it shipped to me (I have worked with 2 SAs). Never had a problem. And yes, I notice that the new bags do smell like fish!! The other issues you name sound like unfortunate quality control issues, maybe you can contact the store and see if you can get a replacement?

I just picked up my bag directly from the SF store a few weeks ago, and noticed this strange smell which lingered for a day or two. It wasn't strong, and just a tad "fishy," and I'm sure that's what you're speaking of.

So at least it seems that the smell does not render the bag a fake. Mine is monogrammed, so I thought it may have been the paint, but at any rate, it's gone, and I love the bag now...!

I'm bumping this because I recently bought the St.Louis in white (super excited!) but it smelled of dead fish after using for a couple of days. I was traveling so had no time to look it up so I took it back to Goyard. It's going through their QC right now so I won't have it for at least a month.

They should have given me a new one since I literally just bought it two weeks ago. Granted I did use it, but still.

Anyone have recent problems like this?

Apparently, it's the resin.

smelling like fish? That sounds aweful!
I have a bad nose for smell so I really did not notice anything when i got my Goyard from Paris (Cousin brought it over to me)
and my artois was purchased in late May

My sister got a Goyard a couple of years ago, and it was fine.

I'm super annoyed because it's now a month since I left it in Paris but no updates so I just emailed them.

If this was purchased in the US, they would have given me a new one. Goyard has now had it longer than I had the bag in my possession which was a little over a week and a half.

Reactions: LLANeedle
I was aware of this "fish" smell issue before I bought my St Louis last month. It wasn't noticeable at the store so I thought I was lucky. But I cld smell it when I got the bag home. I've been using it every day and the smell is not going away! I don't mind it as long as the smell doesn't transfer to my SLGs. So far, so good. But this week, I had a reusable shopping bag made of a synthetic material in my tote and the fishy smell had got on it! Now I'm worried that if I put a scarf in there, that's going to be stinky too! Sigh. Just when I thought I have found the perfect tote. This stinks. I wish not so literally!

I was aware of this "fish" smell issue before I bought my St Louis last month. It wasn't noticeable at the store so I thought I was lucky. But I cld smell it when I got the bag home. I've been using it every day and the smell is not going away! I don't mind it as long as the smell doesn't transfer to my SLGs. So far, so good. But this week, I had a reusable shopping bag made of a synthetic material in my tote and the fishy smell had got on it! Now I'm worried that if I put a scarf in there, that's going to be stinky too! Sigh. Just when I thought I have found the perfect tote. This stinks. I wish not so literally!
I just got one last week and had the same smell. Stuck two dryer sheets in it overnight and all good now!

So sorry to hear this - you should go back to the store with it if it doesn't improve. If you're in the US, you might have been service than Paris though....my story in the next post.

I received by St.Louis back today - completely surprised actually because the quality rep in Paris (Angelique) did not bother to email me any status despite me emailing her asking about the status. I accidentally found an email from the shipping company they use (Exnet), in my Spam folder with an email that indicated they shipped the bag two days ago. Since there was no tracking link, I couldn't tell when exactly it was arriving.

It's back and although the exterior and the coin purse don't smell, there is still a less strong but there fish smell in the interior. I just emailed their store with a note to be forwarded to the Store Director. I am stunned that they sent me back a bag that still smells - for F'sakes, just destroy it and send me a new one.

I will never buy from Goyard again - for a luxury brand, they act like they are a nickle-and-dime store that sells cheap vinyl junk and won't even stand behind the quality of their brand. And frankly, the Paris store service has been horrible. When there are companies like Hermes, I don't need to waste my money here. I like the totes and their design but it's been incredibly disappointing in all respects.

I received by St.Louis back today - completely surprised actually because the quality rep in Paris (Angelique) did not bother to email me any status despite me emailing her asking about the status. I accidentally found an email from the shipping company they use (Exnet), in my Spam folder with an email that indicated they shipped the bag two days ago. Since there was no tracking link, I couldn't tell when exactly it was arriving.

It's back and although the exterior and the coin purse don't smell, there is still a less strong but there fish smell in the interior. I just emailed their store with a note to be forwarded to the Store Director. I am stunned that they sent me back a bag that still smells - for F'sakes, just destroy it and send me a new one.

I will never buy from Goyard again - for a luxury brand, they act like they are a nickle-and-dime store that sells cheap vinyl junk and won't even stand behind the quality of their brand. And frankly, the Paris store service has been horrible. When there are companies like Hermes, I don't need to waste my money here. I like the totes and their design but it's been incredibly disappointing in all respects.

Their customer service is horrific. They don't respond to emails or when they do they refuse to take any responsibility. At least that's been the case in my experience!

kate2828, I know what you mean. I emailed them again and copied their corporate and customer service email addresses, but not holding out any hope that they will do anything. Based on what I can tell, they will simply ignore me until I stop emailing them back.

Did you have a similar situation? We should rename this thread to Crap Quality & Service from Goyard!!!

What a s**tty company and business model.

Reactions: kate2828
kate2828, I know what you mean. I emailed them again and copied their corporate and customer service email addresses, but not holding out any hope that they will do anything. Based on what I can tell, they will simply ignore me until I stop emailing them back.

Did you have a similar situation? We should rename this thread to Crap Quality & Service from Goyard!!!

What a s**tty company and business model.

Is there a consumer group or a government authority who helps consumers that can help you? I would suggest going that route. I have heard that this will result in better responsiveness and customer service. Otherwise, they may just ignore you.