What does Hermes motivate you to do/be?

While that is true, IMO, select brands have unspoken connotations with identity. If you have a 5 million dollar yacht, your character is associated with this prized possession. It says that you may have a life of quality and quantity. Moreover, you have built what you believe to be a great life, and this is one way to show it. But don't get me wrong, material possessions can only carry you so far; the rest comes from within...:flowers:

Again, I personally, don't believe that at all. I define character by a person's integral qualities not at all by what she/he may possess. Take the members on this forum, we like/love Hermes, however, are all so varied and can never be commonly linked by a character trait, Hermes in itself does not say anything about who we are.

having started a lil' H collection of my own, i was motivated to custom build a new closet with a special section just for my H bags. it has dimensions perfect for each bag that i own (& future bags as well! hehe)

Are you sure about that? Hermes has everything to do with who you are. You would not be able to acquire this luxury line if it was not for your work ethic and personal values.
I think most people would agree. You can't buy a Bentley if you don't maintain a good job, promotions and wealth. Character is the deciding factor to life's little perks.

I respectfully beg to disagree. It may be true for you, but what if I were a spoiled little girl who's daddy could buy me anything I wanted?

(And there are some unwise people no doubt, who Hermes motivates to go into credit card debt :P)

In the end a Hermes, a Bentley, a Patek Philiipe or anything of that nature is just a brand. As Sophia Loren once said "The best jewelery that I wear around my neck is my son's arms"

Rose, so Hermes says nothing about who we are.....Are any of us homeless? Poor? Uneducated? I doubt it. I'm sure we all have differentiated lives, backgrounds, jobs, and incomes. But Hermes says, IMO, that we are lucky to be able to appreciate this brand of luxury because of our individual characteristics. Enjoy your evening.

I appreciate Hermes, I love the quality, I admire the elegance and I respect the craftmanship. But a purse (albeit a lovely one) just doesn't inspire me to be anything. (My family and my friends do that.) :smile:

While that is true, IMO, select brands have unspoken connotations with identity. If you have a 5 million dollar yacht, your character is associated with this prized possession. It says that you may have a life of quality and quantity. Moreover, you have built what you believe to be a great life, and this is one way to show it. But don't get me wrong, material possessions can only carry you so far; the rest comes from within...:flowers:

MMMMmmmm
Yes some people may see someone with Hermes or a big fat boat, or a private plan and think THEY HAVE A LIFE OF QUALITY AND QUANTITY and they have built what you believe is a great life.

Let me tell you as a person that visits the Uber rich! they are not as happy as tunnel visioned people think!

Never judge a book by its cover

I respectfully beg to disagree. It may be true for you, but what if I were a spoiled little girl who's daddy could buy me anything I wanted?

(And there are some unwise people no doubt, who Hermes motivates to go into credit card debt :P)

In the end a Hermes, a Bentley, a Patek Philiipe or anything of that nature is just a brand. As Sophia Loren once said "The best jewelery that I wear around my neck is my son's arms"
Yes, the values that my parents blessed me with have made me who I am. I'm proud to be me. If I died, I would want to come back as me. I can attribute my morals and values to them. I know that I live a life of qualityand it shows. Luxury items are perks, but not everyone can afford to have the same ones. Happiness are those things that are given to you by God like children, parents, and husbands. These are priceless, and you can not put a brand or value on them.

Rose, so Hermes says nothing about who we are.....Are any of us homeless? Poor? Uneducated? I doubt it. I'm sure we all have differentiated lives, backgrounds, jobs, and incomes. But Hermes says, IMO, that we are lucky to be able to appreciate this brand of luxury because of our individual characteristics. Enjoy your evening.

Appreciating a brand is quite different from having it motivate you to do or be something.

Motivation for me means this: Wanting to do something so that you can be the best that you can be at it, and enjoy yourself while you're doing it. As an example: I'm a physicist. Do I want to be a physicist because I'm motivated to be so in order for me to acquire Hermes? No. Jobs for people like me don't even pay that well!

I appreciate the craftsmanship of Hermes as a product, the way the bags look and the colors and leather. Therefore Hermes may be an acquisition I pick up along the way, but not a motivation.

EDIT: Sorry coleigh, you and I posted at the same time. I was just trying to clarify.

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:LOL LOL what a funny thread the OP started ...i don't need hermes or any other bag/company etc to "motivate me"...i do that all on my own i would be pretty sad if i needed that IMO

MMMMmmmm
Yes some people may see someone with Hermes or a big fat boat, or a private plan and think THEY HAVE A LIFE OF QUALITY AND QUANTITY and they have built what you believe is a great life.

Let me tell you as a person that visits the Uber rich! they are not as happy as tunnel visioned people think!

I never said that I believe they must have a great life. FYI, the only way to know the quality of life that someone has is to live with them.

We all come from such different backgrounds, our education levels vary, our economic backgrounds vary (some of us can buy a H bag a day whereas others save a life time to buy one), some of us are nice, some are not. I really do believe that the fact that we like Hermes says nothing about our character or backgrounds. However, it's just my opinion... I'll leave it at that.

I did something so out of character for me today...:nuts: still trying to come to terms with it....

but, really, who doesn't? you see a nice cover and think, 'i bet that will be a nice book' or conversely think 'that book may not be so hot' if it's cover isn't pleasant.

of course, i'm the kind of person who sees shades of gray rather than black and white -- but i see (at least) two levels of judgment: the introductory one and the informed one. and it is human nature to make introductory judgments based on the way things face up -- so i think it would be more accurate to advise not to make a final judgement based on a book cover.

and like it or not, hermes says a lot of things about those of us who carry it -- the billion-dollar advertising industry banks on that.