What does "Conservative Business Attire" mean?

If the dress code at a workplace is "conservative business attire" what does this exactly mean? What would be the Do's & Don'ts? And how would this dress code be different from "business casual"? I'm just curious & thanks to everyone who posts a response!

I think generally it means (for women) pant suits, skirt suits, closed toe shoes, or skirt and blouse combo. Biz casual generally means casual pants such as khakis are OK, but never jeans. When you think of biz conservative think Wall Street, when you think biz casual think Starbucks corporate. If that makes any sense.....

^^ ITA

In my head the biggest and most obvious difference is just the shapes of clothes.. Business casual you could wear a more flowy and billowy blouse for example under a jacket of sorts with a skirt and playful heels when Conservative Business Attire i believe that would be inappropriate. Classic and standby shapes, colors, and materials.

I think generally it means (for women) pant suits, skirt suits, closed toe shoes, or skirt and blouse combo. Biz casual generally means casual pants such as khakis are OK, but never jeans. When you think of biz conservative think Wall Street, when you think biz casual think Starbucks corporate. If that makes any sense.....

ITA as well. In the circles I've worked in, business casual means "no jeans, no ties," at least for men.

For conservative, I would add to what Irishgal posted with: hosiery always, no dangly/jangly jewelry, nothing sleeveless or too low cut and no mini skirts.

That'd probably be stuff like skirt or pants suits, blouses, blazers, dress pants, sheath dresses, but in neutral colours [grey, brown, black, off-white], not provocative [no skirts above the knee, midriff covered, dresses can't be backless, nothing low-cut], and not overly embellished [no sparkles, spangles, loud prints, bright colours, huge jewelry]

Minimal or neutral makeup is good, hair is best in chignon, low ponytail, clip, or down and neat.

Jewelry should be minimal; one or two rings, small hoop earrings or posts, one necklace.

I think it depends in large part on where in the country you are. I have worked in DC, NYC, LA, and Boston/Providence. I have also seen attire from several other cities. In each place, the terms have a slightly different meaning which can also vary from profession to profession and even company to company. Don't be afraid to ask someone there - I would recommend asking someone in HR, preferably a woman, since they seem to have contact with a lot of people and generally have a good read on these things. Err on the overly conservative side if you are not sure. For example, wear a skirt suit with a blouse that can function by itself if you get there and decide the suit jacket is not necessary.

my attitude is it's better to be overdressed and professional until you get the feel of the office, rahter than looking under dressed and like a kid.

I know in the law office my husband is in. The sentiment is that he doesn't have to dress up on days he doesn't have to appear in court. However just wearing dress slacks, dress shoes, a button down and a tie, is apparently considered dressy.

I think a man should wear a suit every day. But that's jsut what I grew uyp with my dad wearing every day.

I agree with Jillian, it really depends. I have seen people come in on trips from other areas and what they consider "conservative" is totally opposite from what you would see in a larger city.

Start with: blouse (with sleeves) - nothing sleeveless, close toe shoes, hoisery. I like the skirt suit idea and you can bring a cardigan in case the jacket is too much and the blouse alone is not enough. Stay away from bright colors -- leave those for kids and strippers (joking).

If I were going into an environment like that I'd probably stock up on pants suits. (I hate nylons, so tend to wear dressy pants if the situation calls for them). Maybe I'd get one or two skirt suits.