What do you use to stuff your bags for storage?

ladyash

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
I have finally found some drawstring bags to store my coach bags in for the winter! They are supposed to be travel shoe bags that my mom was hiding for ages until one day she pulled them out to put in with our collection of yard sale stuff! I snatched them up because they are the perfect size and I have one for all of my bags except one!
I have a couple of bags that I want to stuff though because they are a little misshapen already from just sitting out empty for the whole summer, and from being shipped to me without stuffing.
Is it ok to use plastic grocery bags to stuff them? I am planning on stuffing them with something, putting them in the shoe bags and then in a storage ottoman at the foot of my bed for the winter. I have zero space to keep them out of the sun otherwise and I don't want them sitting on top of the ottoman getting the afternoon sun for months. I just don't know if the bags would be harmful to the leather? I do have one bag that has the original box and tissue paper it's the bag that doesn't have a cover for it, but I figured it was stuck in someones closet like that since the 80's, I should be okay leaving it there without protection for a few months!

I use airbags in mine...but I don't have leather lined bags. I don't think I would recommend it for leather lined (older) bags. I agree with Emily, use pillowcases or old tshirts.
I see no harm in using them for the satin/sateen/whatever lined bags, however.

I would be afraid of the plastic bags from the supermarket, the ink on them seems to come off easily.

That is what I was worried about was the ink on the bags. I have used them temporary but wasn't sure about long term. Probably not the best idea. I will see what else I have around the house that I can think of!

I stuff bags with a variety of things: old towels, plastic store bags, tissue paper, the paper that (used to always) come in the bags. I've had no trouble with any of my bags, and I've had many of them for several years now. The key seems to be to keep them reasonably well stuffed for shape and out of the sun... none of my bags show any signs of losing their shape, having color-transfer issues, or fading. Just my experience! Good luck!

Is it wrong to not stuff them with anything? I currently use the dust bags, but since they're slippery, they slide all around on the closet shelf. I actually just picked up some of those boxes at the post office to use, or else they already came in those boxes. I was going to put them in their bags then inside of the boxes. I can then label with the type of purse or color on the boxes and keep them nicely stacked and organized. Most of mine are patent. I was looking them over and didn't think they seemed like they would be squished. I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have too many purses and not enough space. Am i wrong?

Is it wrong to not stuff them with anything? I currently use the dust bags, but since they're slippery, they slide all around on the closet shelf. I actually just picked up some of those boxes at the post office to use, or else they already came in those boxes. I was going to put them in their bags then inside of the boxes. I can then label with the type of purse or color on the boxes and keep them nicely stacked and organized. Most of mine are patent. I was looking them over and didn't think they seemed like they would be squished. I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have too many purses and not enough space. Am i wrong?
I don't think so. There are only some kinds that need to be stuffed. I have never stuffed any of mine. It might be different with vintage bags.
I just got my first patent recently and I have never stored it, so I don't know about it, but it seems like it would keep its shape as long as there wasn't any weight on top of it. Some of the softer leathers that get floppy when you put them down might end up with a crease in the leather if you don't stuff them.
I totally agree about the dust bags - mine are always sliding off the shelf. I think what I will do eventually is put the purses in their dust bags and then put them in large clear plastic boxes (without lids) to keep them in place.

I do have one bag that has the original box and tissue paper it's the bag that doesn't have a cover for it, but I figured it was stuck in someones closet like that since the 80's, I should be okay leaving it there without protection for a few months!

You found an 80's bag that was still in the original box?? Do tell!!