What Do You Think Of LV Handle Covers or Twillys?

misspurse

O.G.
Aug 21, 2011
i saw something in one of the subforums about this, but felt a thread here might bring this concept to more people who would otherwise have missed it.

have you heard of knitted LV handle covers (to protect your vachetta), and what do you think of them?

i just found out today that there is such a thing! was looking at a video of a girl displaying the contents of her LV palermo, but i was so distracted by her knitted handles! i have been thinking about a solution to protect the handles myself. i don't mind the knitted ones, actually, but i also read that some people use "twillys"- had to google that myself, but basically they are scarves/bandanas that people wrap around the handles. i really like that idea, and might go invest in my own set of twillys. :smile:

anyway, here is the palermo video in case you are interested. i googled LV handle covers and saw tons for speedy but none for palermo. this is the first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTb6cx7cK4

I personally wouldn't put covers on the handles because I think patina is part of the bag's charm and character. I especially love the golden honey stage. I am careful with my bags(keep them in dustbags, make sure hands aren't dirty etc) but I also feel the bag should be enjoyed. Wouldn't it look funny if the handles are virgin but the rest of the bag is patinated? I didn't click on this particular video but if that's the one I've seen with the knitted wooly thingies with zippers, I don't like it! Looks tacky because they look dirty!

I think it looks extremely tacky--why put a homespun blanket on a thoroughbred horse?? It does the bag extreme injustice, in my opinion. I wish everyone could just enjoy their bags, and quit worrying about a natural process called patina. I'm sure that Louis bag is just choking and sputtering with indignation. It's not chic to worry to this length about your handbag, to the point of covering up its natural beauty which is what you paid for.

matahari said:
I think it looks extremely tacky--why put a homespun blanket on a thoroughbred horse?? It does the bag extreme injustice, in my opinion. I wish everyone could just enjoy their bags, and quit worrying about a natural process called patina. I'm sure that Louis bag is just choking and sputtering with indignation. It's not chic to worry to this length about your handbag, to the point of covering up its natural beauty which is what you paid for.

Omg your so right I had to comment! I'm sick of hearing people over react about they'er LV purse handles turning brown or honey. I personally love the honey color. Thats how you can tell the handbag is really. Also if LV really wanted the handbag to not patina they would treat the bag handles with something. I feel that people who put so much thou into this are ignorant. How much can you really protect your bag to over react lol

I have a pair of covers for the speedy handles. It does look terrible, but I always worry about getting the handles dirty, dark so I dont mind using them. It all depends on what your intentions are. I care for my bags a bit too much :sad:

I think it looks ridiculous. Use your handles and enjoy your bag. If you are so concerned with preserving your handles and are so scared of them darkening then LV is not for you because that is what the bag was built to do. If you don't like it buy a new one every few years.

Those knitted covers are tacky.

Bandeaus/twillys might look okay, but darn that's expen$ive.

If anyone is that concerned, just use Appleguard spray on them first, don't use hand lotion or alcohol based cleaners, and make sure your hands are clean. People have owned Speedys for decades and dealt with the vachetta issue.

Personally, I think these in particular ARE pretty tacky looking, however I can understand why someone would care so much about the bag that they would go to great lengths to preserve it.

I am and admirer and owner of LV's but have sacrificed my hard earned money in order to be an owner of these masterpieces, therefore I too would like to do what I can to preserve the look and feel of that "new car smell". I unfortunately am unable to buy LV's on a whim, it takes months even years before I can free up funds to buy one.

I think that with the right approach (and fabrics, LOL) these can be a fabulous accessory much like the beloved bag charm. I'm all in for the idea, but I definitely don't think that the approach and execution was carried out properly.

ok. lol. rant over. :nogood:

I like it when the bags start to get some patina on them. Even the darker patina looks good but not when just the middle part of the handles get really dark. THAT IS DIRT and looks nasty looking to me.

I don't have a Speedy but I would think that if you would just clean your handles every week or when needed they wouldn't get that real dark dirty look??

I am new to LV and I am babying my bags because I want them to last and look good a long time. I don't carry them every day and I am always careful to have clean hands when I touch them.

I may get less OCD about them after I have had them for awhile.

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to comment. While I would have agreed with the above comments in the past, I completely disagree at this point in time.

I live in Phoenix and am getting to the age where I care about wrinkles and sun damage. With that, I always wear sunscreen on my arms, chest and face - ALWAYS. I started doing this roughly a year ago, and my complexion has thanked me ever since. My problem is that my handbags have become terrible looking as a result of the sunscreen; even just two minutes with my Alma on my arm produces this chalky white coating that not only darkens the leather, but gets embedded into it and does not come out. I actually had to have my bag de-greased as a result. After de-greasing, cleansing, conditioning and supposedly "protecting" it, I still end up with the same results. That's why I have begun looking for handle covers.

To me, they are no different than keeping your Lamborghini in the garage, or covering it when it's not in use. There's nothing wrong with wanting to protect your functioning works of art. While I am very clean and careful with my bags, I still use them as they were intended; however, in my situation, I cannot give up sunscreen.

I don't care for the knitted ones AT ALL. Just personal preference. I have seen twillys or bandeaus on bags, and it can look nice. I just personally wouldn't do it. The biggest head-scratcher for me is covering the Artsy handle. That is the most gorgeous detail on that bag, in my opinion, and covering it up makes no sense! If we are so scared to touch our bags, perhaps we have made them a bit too precious? Just a thought.