What do you think: MbMJ Frame Rabbit Pochette

I remember I saw this on the Fall 07 runway.

I think it looks something like this:

00480m.jpg
00320m.jpg
00410m.jpg

The first photo may not be the bag since it looks a little bigger than the last 2 photos

^ If you end up getting it, remember to post photos! It seems like a cute little bag, but I'm not a big fan of fur

I'll probably get reamed for this, and I'm a hypocrite because I wear leather, but I'd NEVER buy or wear anything with fur on it. JMHO.

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything but just curious. Do you not purchase fur because of the ethics? If so, what is the distinction between leather and fur.

I ask because I wear leather as well as fur. It seems like more people are uncomfortable with fur but okay w/ leather.

smooches - The issue with fur is that the animals are bred and killed solely for the purpose of obtaining their fur. They are also raised and kept and killed in extremely inhumane ways. I won't get into specifics, but the way they kill some of these animals for fur is especially heinous.

With leather, some leather is a byproduct of the meat industry. I think about 15-20%? Anyway, I don't support the meat industry, either, but some will say leather is more "humane" in that every part of the animal is being used, whether for food or for leather. I think this is up for debate as well.

Also, most people have a huge disconnect when it comes to what they're eating. Like when someone sits down to enjoy a steak, they're not necessarily thinking about the cow that it came from. They bought it packaged in plastic in their grocery store. There's a huge disconnect there. With animals that are bred for fur, they're cute. They resemble our pets. So people automatically have a reaction to that.

I don't eat meat, but I carry a leather bag. I'm actually trying to transition to leather free consumerism, but we'll see how that goes. :shame: For me it's mostly a political thing. It's a slow transition for me. I love beautiful things, but there's a part of me that feels guilty for it, and that sucks. :shame:

I'm sorry to get into specifics! But I figured since you asked, I would give you my side. I'm not going to go throwing red paint on anyone, and I don't condemn others for their choices, but since she asked for opinions on the purse, I chimed in. I was looking for a little emoticon of someone holding out flowers or something, and couldn't find one, so imagine me handing you some flowers in a gesture of friendship. LOL

thank you very much for those pics!!!

i eat meat, make and buy leather handbags and fur IMO is another end product of man killing things. A lot of leather is from cows that are not from the meat industry. I did some desing work for D&B and went to the tanneries in Italy. we were told that none of the meat from the cows they skinned were used at food for meat consumers. it was used in byproduct material, for animal feed, etc.

i disagree with folks who are anti leather. Faux leather/ pleather/etc is actually more harmful to the environment because petroleum is used in the manufacturing process, and it takes hundreds of years to biodegrade, if it will at all, and leaches harmful chemicals into the earth and can contaminate our drinking water.

i've concluded that many people have issues with fur, because it makes them think more closely to the animal in question. It does not bother me, and i have various fur items in my wardrobe.

fur is leather after all, it's just the hair hasn't been removed yet.

but of course, to each their own, as everyone has different views and levels of what they feel comfortable with and incorporating it into their warrdobe.

i wasn't sure if i should dig up the old thread, but i did anyways cause it already had pics and whatnot...i was just questioning the size, and thanks to telicious for helping me out!

^ No problem!

This post was in no means to bring up fur vs. anti-fur debates, it was simply a post to discuss this new (well new, back then) MbMJ bag that I thought was cute in shape, but it's something I would never buy.

Just my opinion:
I think I feel the same way as MPJ in the sense that I feel that the fur used in these products come from animals that were strictly killed for their fur, whereas leather comes from cows that most of the world consumes anyway. I think it makes it a little easier on my conscience that we are being resourceful and utilizing all parts of the animal that are killed for meat. Not that I don't think it's a problem, but it's just that most of the world eats meat and there no way anyone can change that. I think of myself as a hypocrite sometimes because I don't like fur, but I do wear leather bags, leather shoes and do eat meat. But everytime I go into a supermarket and look at the meat section, I always take a minute to think about where all these T-bone steaks and pork chops come from and it makes me want to stop eating meat. But being surrounded by a family who's obsessed with it, I find myself hard to stop and kind of put that thought aside while I eat it.

Thanks to jun for making a point that some of the leather is made from cows that aren't killed for meat and for the point that was made that fake leather can be more harmful to the environment. Really makes you think!

(Sorry for my long blurb!!)