What do you think I should do?

Coach Dedicated

Always another bag..
Oct 10, 2009
Hi - I sold a whiskey gigi about a month ago and I sold it for less than $100 than I was asking for. The buyer just recently contacted me (three weeks after she has purchased it) and stated to me that after a week of using it, the turnlock fell off and she had to send it off to coach to get repaired. She wanted me to reimburse her for $20 shipping + $25 for insurance.

I bought the bag new from coach (with PCE) and I have had it for two years (have even used it for weeks in a row) and have neve had a problem with it. I checked the turnlocks and zippers before I posted the bag for sale, and nothing was wrong with it. Maybe I'm just a little more gentle with my bags.

What should I do?
I don't think it's right for me to refund that considering that if you go straight into coach (a coach store) they'll ship it for you for only $20, you don't have to pay insurance. But it's something she did, not me. I even put the bag on hold for her for 2 weeks while she was coming up with the money (from selling other bags).

What do you guys think? TIA

Honestly, I think I'd tell her just what you said regarding the $45 she spent. In addition, you can't be responsible for what happens to the bag after she uses it... especially when she's had it for 3 weeks already. For all we know, the turnlock fell off because something heavy fell on it. It's also possible that she took it into the boutique and had them send it off free of charge and she's just trying to scam some money out of you b/c she is feeling some remorse about the price she paid for the bag.
I don't understand how people can buy something and expect the seller to still be responsible for the item when something goes wrong after they've used it. It's not as though you are the one that manufactured the bag.

Good Grief!! How can she expect you to pay for that?
When she received the bag from you it was in good condition--what happens a month later is not your responsibility!!

I cant believe she would have the nerve to ask you to pay the $45! There is no telling what she has done with the bag like you said some people are just rougher but its been 3 weeks and I doubt she is telling the whole truth. She got a great deal on the purse it sounds but its not your problem

Agreed. Don't reimburse her but at least give her some explanation. If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't know if it was me or if it was the seller who had caused the damage.

Honestly, I think I'd tell her just what you said regarding the $45 she spent. In addition, you can't be responsible for what happens to the bag after she uses it... especially when she's had it for 3 weeks already. For all we know, the turnlock fell off because something heavy fell on it. It's also possible that she took it into the boutique and had them send it off free of charge and she's just trying to scam some money out of you b/c she is feeling some remorse about the price she paid for the bag.
I don't understand how people can buy something and expect the seller to still be responsible for the item when something goes wrong after they've used it. It's not as though you are the one that manufactured the bag.

Not your responsibility. She used it and maybe abused it.

When I received my new bag purchased from 'bay, there was a skipped stitch near the zipper. I let the seller know this, but I just took it in to a Coach store and they shipped it off for me. Only took 4 weeks to get it back. Just tell her graciously that you thoroughly inspected the bag and it was fine. Also state that it is wonderful that Coach stands by its products even though she's had/used it for that amount of time. Don't worry, you are protected as a seller, too.

It is done, the buyer is trying to rob you... It has been a week who know what they did to have the bag fall apart... I would not pay it period...

i could not handle the stress of selling i don't think from the stories i have read.

don't give that 'ho any extra money!

i think i'm going to go to the pizza buffet place that i ate at 3 years ago and got the worst case of food poisoning ever and ask for my money back.

Last edited:
She sounds like a real piece of work. You should not send her a dime. Maybe she got into a bar fight and used it as a weapon!! :bagslap: Maybe she is lying to you and just looking to get some money back. You just don't know. Anyway, this comes under the heading of too bad, so sad.