What do you splurge on and what do you save on?

tinyturtle

O.G.
Dec 5, 2010
ok, so i know most of us here splurge on handbags...but i'm also curious to know what else CHANEL lovers splurge on and what you skimp on.

me:
splurge: organic food, skincare products, makeup

save: clothes (i tend to shop old navy & target), i buy generic brands of toiletries, car (i had to buy a new one last year, and my only concern was reliability and mpg), vacation (i'm a home body and don't really like to travel)

somewhere in the middle: shoes

Splurge- handbags, shoes (but on a much smaller scale) organic food, pedicures, coffees out, jeans, good make-up, holidays, private medical care and dentist.

Save- no cleaner, very little eating out (its always for a special occasions or date night.. maybe 1x every week max) no holiday this year due to DH work travels :sad:, no fancy tv sports/movie package, 90% high-street clothes, groom the dog at home, no useless beauty treatments that can be done at home like scrubs or facials, unless its a long haul flight over 6 hours no business class.
Also we rarely drink alcohol which I think saves a LOT.. we never order a bottle of wine its always a cocktail/max two if we do. DH will maybe have a few beers at home over football season. We dont 'bar' if that makes sense! With the girls we always seem to coffee out not really cocktail out!

Something like that!! Its not even about the money its about the principle of creating balance so we stay grateful!

Splurge: Hand bags (mostly pre-loved though),skin care & a couple of bottles of nice wine a week.

Save: no going to clubs, hardly go to movies, no gambling or smoking, quiet home life style, very rarely eat out of get takeaway, just living a modest lifestyle to keep my handbag habit going (hehe) as I like to see something for my $$$

Splurge - clothing, shoes, watches, dinner out 2-3x month

Save - our vacationing is often covered by hotel and airline points leaving us to spend on food and entertainment. We are staying in Naples FL this winter for a week in a bungalow costing us $0 and the air is also covered except for that little charge of $10 when we booked.

I make a lunch for my husband to take to work. It isn't really about saving money, but he won't stop to go lunch unless something is ready to grab if he's very busy.

I splurge on bags and shoes the most. I do look for deals, if there is one to be had. I love a good sale! I love clothes and try to get what I like on sale if it's a little expensive. I won't pay a lot for a plain t shirt if I can get one for $5..it's a t shirt. I get my nails done once a month, we eat out once a week (unless there is a special occasion, birthday, anniversary, mother's day). We take 2 vacations a year, an expensive one for just me and my husband and a family vacation with our son and usually some friends to myrtle or something. We didn't have any vacations for the first 9 years of our marriage.

I splurge on bags and shoes the most. I do look for deals, if there is one to be had. I love a good sale! I love clothes and try to get what I like on sale if it's a little expensive. I won't pay a lot for a plain t shirt if I can get one for $5..it's a t shirt. I get my nails done once a month, we eat out once a week (unless there is a special occasion, birthday, anniversary, mother's day). We take 2 vacations a year, an expensive one for just me and my husband and a family vacation with our son and usually some friends to myrtle or something. We didn't have any vacations for the first 9 years of our marriage.

I think we are twins!!:roflmfao:

Splurge on handbags. Save on everything else as I don't wear designer clothing or shoes (have two pairs of louboutins that I barely wear that were my shoe splurges for this lifetime). No nails or beauty treatments - get my hair cut at a nice place whenever my husband reminds me (once every 4 months maybe?). My only other vice is going out to eat - I love it, but being almost 36 weeks pregnant that's coming to an end also lol.

I splurge: handbags (It's my hobby), skincare products (It apply on my skin, so I can't get the cheap one), medical and dental care (if necessary)

save: clothes (I only buy on sale and probably shopping for cloths twice a year when they are semi-annual sales), nails ( I only done once a month or occasionally), dine out (I only eat out once a month or occasionally such as mother's/father's day, birthdays or anniversary), luxury vacations (I didn't have vacation for last 4 years, and will going to take one this coming fall), haircut (once or twice a year)

Love this thread!!

Splurge: bags bags and more bags, dermatologist (to save on skincare/makeup in long run??), hair (i go every other month to get it colored/cut), shoes (ranges from $10 flip flops --> tory shoes --> chanel shoes)

Medium: skincare/makeup, jewelry, vacations/wknd trips (not considered a splurge cuz we use a lot of points to help with costs)

Save: food (eat cheaply and hardly do any fine dining except for special occasions or out on vacation), clothes (cheap, wannabe forever 21 type stores), toiletries (drugstore/walmart), nails/facials (do my own), movies/going out for drinks (rare unless an event; rent a lot of redbox!!)

And always looking for deals and more deals!!

splurge- handbags and make up and fragrance

save- clothing, since fashion changes so often I usually dnt buy designer and shop at stores like forever 21 and h & m and donate clothing that I no longer wear the next season I have one pair of chanel heels that I bought for graduation other wise I live in toms and sneakers (student life) I eat at home either my house (live with my mom home cooking yayy) or at my boyfriends house we barely go out to clubs even though we r both in our early 20s that life isn't for us we don't drink go to the movies for our date nights unless it's birthdays or anniversaries and for birthdays our parents usually that us. we live in Flordia so we basically are on vacation the entire year lol but we got to Orlando twice a year but for hotels we use our points from credit cards and we get tickets to the parks at a discount rate since we are florida residents.

Splurge : vacations (travel the world is on top of my list), handbags, coffee, skincare products, nail paints, jewelry, good wines n food.

Save: things on my radar - buy on sale

great thread!

splurge: shoes, handbags, coats

save: no car, bring lunch to work, drink coffee at home (most of the time), try to limit eating out, shop sales at groceries stores, use oils (olive and coconut) for face cleaning, cooking, and hair; use gym in my building instead of membership; hardly ever go out to movies, clubs, etc.

Splurge: Handbags, hair products, and food (my family loves to eat out) ,shoes (not high-end designer shoes, but they have to be super comfy), and electronics! (hubby is into gadgets)

Save: Automobile (I have a 9 yr old Nissan 350z and will wait til it dies down on me before I get a new one), clothes (I'm not into designer clothes), Coffee & Teas (I own a Keurig).

Last edited: