What do you say when a stranger compliments your bag?

cutiepie21

O.G.
May 15, 2006
I usually smile and say thanks.

When I do this, I noticed that people look at me like they're expecting me to say more, and when I don't, they look disappointed or put-off. Would they prefer if I said thanks and broke out into song and dance? :shrugs:

It's gotten to the point where I don't want people to compliment me anymore because I feel like saying "thanks" isn't enough?

Maybe I'm just getting weirdos complimenting me?

One time when I was out shopping another shopper complimented my bag. I said "thank-you" and she kept looking at me like she was expecting me to say more so I started talking about the bag (the name, if it's LE, etc.) she responded positively to that, but I felt weird talking about my purse to a stranger.

Has anyone else experienced other people expecting more than a "Thank-you"?

I usually smile and say thanks.

When I do this, I noticed that people look at me like they're expecting me to say more, and when I don't, they look disappointed or put-off. Would they prefer if I said thanks and broke out into song and dance? :shrugs:

It's gotten to the point where I don't want people to compliment me anymore because I feel like saying "thanks" isn't enough?

- Is LV uncommon where you live? Maybe that is why they want to talk about it.

Maybe I'm just getting weirdos complimenting me?

One time when I was out shopping another shopper complimented my bag. I said "thank-you" and she kept looking at me like she was expecting me to say more so I started talking about the bag (the name, if it's LE, etc.) she responded positively to that, but I felt weird talking about my purse to a stranger.

Has anyone else experienced other people expecting more than a "Thank-you"?

I know exactly what you mean! That has happened to me while wearing Balenciaga bags. I am a little on the shy side as it is so it felt really weird and until reading your post, figured it was just me. But yes, I know that look that seems to expect more.

Not that I'm complaining about the compliments at all. :smile:

Last edited: