What do you recommend?!

Hey there!

1st- What type of housing is the best for college students?
On Campus housing or my own apartment?

I would stay on campus for at least one semester, so you can meet more people.

2nd- Should I get roomates?

Sometimes it's nice to have a roommate and sometimes it's not. I know people that had to share rooms with people that peed all over the floor at night (sleep walkers) or haven't taken showers in weeks. But you never know who you are going to get as a roommate!

3rd- Should I get a job?
I had three part time jobs when I was in college and I was doing well in classes. However, I did not party AT ALL! If you think you'd want to experience the REAL college life and your parents don't mind supporting you financially, then concentrate on your studies and just have fun. If you know you'll need the money, get a part time job for a few days a week.

Good luck!

If you're going to law school, here's my 2 cents from a former law student, now attorney:

1) Skip the on-campus housing unless its graduate housing and you don't have a roommate. You don't need additional drama/stress while you're in law school.

2) This is grad school, not college. You can't really skate by with cramming before exams. You're going to get "picked" on in class too by the professor since law school is about the Socratic method. Being prepared helps a little. But if you say something dumb--don't stress--everyone else will sound dumb too.

3) Personally, I'd pass on roomies unless you're living with one other person and he/she is a law student too. It sorta helps to be in the same pool--check out your school's dean of students, I'm sure they have some sort of roommate match program.

4) I wouldn't recommend working your first year unless you're going part-time. Law school can be time consuming. Don't stress if you don't have a job for the summer between your first and second year. Go take advantage of the summer abroad programs or go do what you've always wanted with time off. Once you start working, you don't get three months off normally...

5) When you do get a job, try to stick with the ABA requirement that you can only work 20 hours/week. I know there are lots of people who don't follow the guideline, but they seemed to stretch themselves thin.

6) Law school, in some ways, is more about learning how to think, using critical and analytical skills more than anything else. Try not to get too caught up in the drama of your classmates, roommates, etc. Law school at times can be like HS. But make some good friends, just don't become the "talk" of the section. No one wants to be 40-something, a partner at a firm BUT all everyone remembers about you more than 15 years after law school is how you were the girl that got caught giving a bj at a bar... :biggrin:

Quick question.. are you going to college or law school? I'm confused... you asked about the best living for a college student, but that is VERY different than being a law school student. Just wondering...

If you are going into college, I say that every college student should be in the dorms at least a year. It is the best experience. But if you are going into law school, I don't even think there are dorms for law students. Actually the only housing for that would be grad student housing if it were on campus... someone correct me if I'm wrong k?

And about the job... I am not in law school but I don't think there is any time at all... Law school is very very demanding with long hours and a huge work load.

wickedassin said:
If you're going to law school, here's my 2 cents from a former law student, now attorney:

1) Skip the on-campus housing unless its graduate housing and you don't have a roommate. You don't need additional drama/stress while you're in law school.

2) This is grad school, not college. You can't really skate by with cramming before exams. You're going to get "picked" on in class too by the professor since law school is about the Socratic method. Being prepared helps a little. But if you say something dumb--don't stress--everyone else will sound dumb too.

3) Personally, I'd pass on roomies unless you're living with one other person and he/she is a law student too. It sorta helps to be in the same pool--check out your school's dean of students, I'm sure they have some sort of roommate match program.

4) I wouldn't recommend working your first year unless you're going part-time. Law school can be time consuming. Don't stress if you don't have a job for the summer between your first and second year. Go take advantage of the summer abroad programs or go do what you've always wanted with time off. Once you start working, you don't get three months off normally...

5) When you do get a job, try to stick with the ABA requirement that you can only work 20 hours/week. I know there are lots of people who don't follow the guideline, but they seemed to stretch themselves thin.

6) Law school, in some ways, is more about learning how to think, using critical and analytical skills more than anything else. Try not to get too caught up in the drama of your classmates, roommates, etc. Law school at times can be like HS. But make some good friends, just don't become the "talk" of the section. No one wants to be 40-something, a partner at a firm BUT all everyone remembers about you more than 15 years after law school is how you were the girl that got caught giving a bj at a bar... :biggrin:

Very sound advice! on all counts! I couldn't have said it better, so I just quoted instead:lol:

one of my few girlfriends just got accepted into a law school here in FL...I think she said they weren't allowed to have jobs their first year.

didn't someone else on this forum get accepted to law school a couple of months ago? ayla or somebody?

that's exciting. you guys must have worked really hard to make it this far, I know my friend Ashley did. She studied like CRAZY for her LSAT. makes me feel kinda bad that my GRE is in three weeks and I haven't studied at all. I'll start hardcore tommorow.

bethany said:
one of my few girlfriends just got accepted into a law school here in FL...I think she said they weren't allowed to have jobs their first year.

didn't someone else on this forum get accepted to law school a couple of months ago? ayla or somebody?

that's exciting. you guys must have worked really hard to make it this far, I know my friend Ashley did. She studied like CRAZY for her LSAT. makes me feel kinda bad that my GRE is in three weeks and I haven't studied at all. I'll start hardcore tommorow.

Yes, I believe it was Ayla i think also L- Lila. :yes:

livinluxuriously_Lila said:
Hey ladies and gents, well I need your opinion on some questions I have.
1st- What type of housing is the best for college students?
On Campus housing or my own apartment?
2nd- Should I get roomates?
3rd- Should I get a job?
All the stress about leaving home and being on my own is catching up.
Anyways I knew I could count on my trusty PF ladies and Gents to help me out. :biggrin::huh:

Did you make a decision yet ?? :blink: