What do you love/hate about the Matinee?

In an old TPF thread, someone mentioned that the Mattie reminded them of Michael Jackson's jacket in Thriller, and ever since reading that, I can't get the comparison out of my head. I had a violet/lavender Mattie that really was beautiful. But...every time I used it, I felt like Michael. Ridiculous...I know. But sadly, I had to sell it...

attachment.php
OMG, you're right! How will I ever use mine again w/out this picture in my head!!????!!! :nuts: :P

I am just beginning to really appreciate and love my wine mattie. I recently got it back out and have been carrying her for 4 days straight. I'm a east-west bag gal and love my MAB. I like the mattie being shorter height wise and the length is fine for me (initially I thought the mattie was quite big and too duffle-bag like). My main gripe about the mattie is that I wish the opening of the main compartment is as generous as the MAs. One other minor con is that you do have to completely fold back the flaps to get to the end compartments. I feel that when I load my mattie with the same exact stuff, the mattie is a bit heavier than the MAB. Overall, the shape of the mattie is so unique. On a side note, I don't feel that my wine scratches easily at all. The leather, I feel, is quite durable.

In an old TPF thread, someone mentioned that the Mattie reminded them of Michael Jackson's jacket in Thriller, and ever since reading that, I can't get the comparison out of my head. I had a violet/lavender Mattie that really was beautiful. But...every time I used it, I felt like Michael. Ridiculous...I know. But sadly, I had to sell it...

attachment.php

When I first got into RM my friend told me some people called it the thriller bag and I always think about it too. :Push:

Being an owner of 2 Matinees, here is my opinion:

I love the Matinee, OVERALL, the numerous pockets, the reversible flaps that can be played with differently, but my only concern would be the top zip being a bit hard to access... that's about it.

I :heart: the Matinee!

I was obsessed with getting a Mattie. It was the first RM bag that really interested me. I am the type of person who really needs to see something IRL to be able to make a decision. I can't base things on what other people say. (ie: I am 5'4" and everyone said the Nikki would do well for me, but after trying it, the Mini Nikki works much better as I found the Nikki to be a huge black hole of a bag that I could not find anything in and sooo heavy on the shoulder!).
So, I bought a Night Mattie on ebay and I sold it the very next day. Although the leather was TDF, the bag was so long east/west and short top to bottom and I didn't know what to do with those darn flaps! I liked the way they looked peeled up, but then the main zipper compartment opening seemed kindof "off", but when the flaps were down, my husband told me it looks like "Michael Jackson's Thriller leather jacket" with those "wings" (soooo funny that someone else mentioned that here! LOL!). Well, that was it for me. How do I get past that description! LOL!
If the bag didn't have the wings and it was a little shorter from side to side, I would love it.
PROS: The shoulder strap drop is fantastic! I love my MAM's, but putting that Mattie on, even for only a few minutes, it was so comfortable on the shoulder and fit like a dream!

^ This is totally true. I first bought one in Glazed Espresso and it was a little overwhelming but then I got one in Night and it was super soft & smooshy from day one. It looks perfect on and is significantly different from teh first one I had!

Hmmmm, maybe I need a smooshy one then?

attachment.php

Check out this thread by Megs :graucho:
http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...nee-270133.html?highlight=matinee+inspiration

Desi owned the thriller bag!

i absolutely :heart: my mattie! it was the mattie that first got me into RM in the first place. i have it in wine & light grey (still on its way to me)... here's what i think...

What I Love:
* the flaps - adds character to the bag IMO, especially if it comes in a contrasting colour
* the suede - 6 of the 8 exterior pockets are lined with suede (my heart screamed with joy when i realised this), but i guess this only applies to those leather/suede matties??
* the overall shape & design - it just looks unique to me and i can't think of another bag that looks like it

some of us brought up some cons to the bag which i agree with but they really don't bother me at all:
* i guess i just manage with the smaller opening
* yes, the pull backs do kinda block the opening... bu bu but i :heart: the flaps!, and i keep most of my stuff like phone & keys in the exterior pockets so i mostly don't need to access the main compartment anyway

i was a bit worried about the size as i'm just 5' nothing (hahaha that's how i always say it.. although i think i have like another 0.5" on me...i wished!) but i decided to take a chance after referencing this forum and saw girls like vanessa hudgens carrying it (i googled and found out that she's about 5' 1.5")..... one friend said it looked big on me but that doesn't count (what do boys know about bags anyway?!) since my BFF & i think it's the perfect size!

I've been debating all of these things myself! I love the handle drop, I love and use most of the pockets, I like the unique shape and the flaps. But I have the violet / lilac leather bag, and I think the leather lining (instead of the suede) makes the bag much heavier. Also, the violet leather is thick and chewy and structured so it makes the bag look a lot bigger on me. And it's a bit too spacious.

I think if I could change it, I'd shrink the main compartment by 20%, and take off the zippered compartments on the side (not the hidden ones).

I hardly ever use the outside pockets. I also don't pull back the flaps because I think that will make it look more like a sausage. the only thing that consistently bugged me was the small opening for the bag...but I loooove the mattie! and it's comfy on the shoulder!

I didn't expect such a passionate array of replies. Now I MUST get a Mattie just to see what it's all about.

I'd also like to know like ChaCha, does the internal sizing hold as much as a MAM or more like a MAB?

And Thriller was Michael Jackson's shining moment. I bet he wished he was remembered for that rather than what he left the country with.

So was The Dream bag a Dud? Kinda like the Plan B? I should have gotten the Matinee rather than That Dream Bag. Are the sizes about the same though?

Sounds like most people love their Matties even though it has it's flaws. Thanks for all the posts and also for helping me spend more money.

^ daaaaaang really? I thought the MAM would hold more, that's something to think about. I'm a pack rat, but I also always wanted it to be slouchy. Be able to carry my wallet, phone, makeup, a bottle of water, sunnies, pills, and have room for anything situational ..like a book, or, or ...a sammich!