What do you love/hate about the Matinee?

Lexie2000

O.G.
Jan 6, 2006
Out of the numerous RM bags I have gone through I never ever got a Matinee. I have seen the pics and thought and thought and just never comitted. After seeing the Teal, I am getting one this time around for sure. Am I going to love it? What are the cons? Do the flaps interfere? Is the top zip opening allowing the inside to be accessible enough? Is it too long and loaf shaped?

I did get a Wine Dream bag but sold it shortly after. Those puffy Suede sides bugged me big time. And the flap under that short handle was annoying. Is the Matinee superior to the Dream?

I saw that Teal color and had to have it. I don't care for Nikki's and I don't need a MAC but that Matinee was calling me. I don't think I would want the teal in any other style anyway.

Advice?

For me...

Pros: Longer handle length, comfortable carrying. Organization with the multitude of pockets.

Cons: Too many pockets - I just didn't need so many and didn't use them.

I have only seen and tried on two RM styles. The MAM and the Mattie. I instantly fell in love with my first MAM and ordered a second one. I thought I wouldn't like the Mattie because I am petite and thought it would look too big/long on me. However, I ordered one for my daughter and ended up liking how it looks on me even MORE than the MAM. I kept it for myself! Ha ha! I really can't think of ANYTHING that I dislike about this bag. It is my HG bag. I am definitely going to purchase a Teal mattie (if I can get my hands on one, and if they are not made in China).

I love the mattie! It's just different.. I have to admit though that I only like the matties with matching leather flaps.. Call me boring but the two tones matties are just a bit much for me.

Where are all the pockets? Two side slip ones? Zippered too, right and a front Zippered and slip? I NEED those pockets. Keys in one, Phone in the other, Mints and gum in another, lipgloss, chapstick in another.

Front and back slit pockets
Front and back zipped pockets
Side slit pockets
Side zipped pockets

That's 8 outside pockets! It's great if you like and utilize all those pockets. There's also the issue of remembering where you'd stashed your things, and remembering which side.

I am carrying my dark gray mattie right now and I SO love this style of bag.

Pros: Easy to get things in and out of top zipper. Tons of pockets. Drop length. I also love the "hidden" zipper pockets under the flaps. Fun place to stash items you might not use as much but still need to carry. I have snacks for my kids and protein bars for me on one side and toys for them in the other side for those times when you need a distraction for them at the restaurant.

Cons: None yet. :P

Mattie is my favorite style. I especially like when they have contrasting flaps, so you can change the look of the bag depending on your mood. I wish RM would bring back the contrasting flaps.

Pros: tons of pockets, generous strap-drop, sporty look, it's the same front or back so it doesn't matter which way the bag "faces", the main compartment isn't cavernous like the MAs

Cons: like C4H, too many pockets...I can't remember which pocket holds what and it's a bit of a hassle if you switch bags often to empty them all out.

I'm trying to figure out if I love or hate my Mattie. I got it for christmas and used it for a few weeks and away she went.
I didn't use either end pocket, I used the front outside pocket for my phone and the rest of my stuff fit inside nicely. IMO it doesn't open as much as I would like it to. The handle drop is awesome!
It is a large bag and i think it's just too long for me. It might look a little ridiculous on me!
I know Rebecca said it couldn't be made smaller but I beg to differ. :P If she eliminated the end pockets and cut half of them off, you might be able to get a bigger opening on the main part of the bag. And you could even do double top zippers w/ 2 different/separate sides to the bag.

i love my mattie. i have to say though, i've seen some matties that were more rectangular and the lines on those are gorgeous...but i've also seen some that look more...stocky and too tall. don't know if that makes sense, but i've seen it vary depending on the color/leather.

the other thing i dislike about it is that even though i like the handle drop, it doesn't fit over my winter coat over my shoulder, so i'm not exactly hands free with it during fall/winter. and when i wear it over the shoulder without a coat, i don't like the way it looks smooshed against me....it loses the shape, which is why i like most about it.

one last thing is that the leather seems very scratchable. i have the wine and even though it's glazed, i can tell if i was rushing past people in a crowded subway, i may get some light scratches.

if this was any other bag, i'd probably ditch it considering all these mini issues, but seriously the mattie is just so frickin adorable that i can't stop carrying it and i can't keep my eyes off it that i don't even care about any of those things.

I love the mattie but it has ALOT of pockets as you know and I too did not utilize them all since I have a purse to go organizer and now kerry pouch, but I just love the look of it. I do find if I am wearing my winter coat it does not fit on my shoulder.