What Do You Guys Think? J12 Watch

kcarmona

Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys! So I am not very educated in Chanel. I have a few pairs of shoes, one pre-loved bag, and a couple vintage pieces of RTW. Anyways, I found this watch listed locally and I'm unsure about it. The person says that they are 100% sure it is authentic and would even be willing to meet somewhere to have it authenticated. They are selling it cheap - $1400. I know that the lovely authenticators do not do watches because it is too hard to tell simply with pictures. Basically I just wanted to ask if it does turn out to be authentic, do you guys think it is a good price? It's a men's watch, and I was also wondering if it would fit a ladies wrist? Also if it IS a really bad fake and someone can tell right away feel free to let me know lol! Thanks in advance guys! :smile:

Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 12.29.15 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 12.29.23 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 12.28.52 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 12.29.30 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 12.29.05 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-06-20 at 12.29.36 PM.png

Last edited:
I must say I'm no expert on Chanel watches, but I do own a J12 Black and a J12 White, both in 38mm.

Based on my knowledge I doubt if that's an authentic item:
1. I never saw a J12 in matte-like chain. As far as I know most J12 models have chains which are made of ceramic. If you take a closer look at the side of the chains (your first photo), you can see there's a thin line on each chain - that's sth I've never seen on any J12. The chains look as if they're produced by moulding, and they look a bit plastic-ish to me.

2. If you take a look at the bezel (the circle with markings of "0, 15, 30, 45"), it has been turned clockwise for 90 degrees (the "0" ought to be on top but now it's at 3 o'clock). The bezels of my J12s can't be turned?!

HTH and afterall it's just my opinion - I might be wrong. Hopefully other experts could chime in and share their opinions!

I immediately thought the bracelet band looked totally fake. I own a 33mm black with diamond markers. My bracelet has a shimmer and no matte finish. My white 38mm J12 is a plain one but in safe at bank so I cannot compare my face to your photos. But I highly doubt the one photographed is authentic. Is it possible for you to go to saks or neimans and view in person? Please dont buy the one for $1400!

The seller describes it as "high gloss black ceramic" but I'm not sure if that's even a real style. I'm gonna text him today and ask if he'd be willing to meet at Chanel. If he's willing, I'm crossing my fingers it's real.

Okay, so it looks like he's willing to meet at a Chanel in Saks that's close to both of us. I'm going to call first and make sure they will take a look at it. I'll keep you guys updated!

I agree that it seems too good to be true, but he did offer to meet me at Chanel tomorrow to authenticate it. I don't know what to do because now I'm worried that if they say it's fake he's going to flip out or something. You never know, some people are crazy lol

I agree that it seems too good to be true, but he did offer to meet me at Chanel tomorrow to authenticate it. I don't know what to do because now I'm worried that if they say it's fake he's going to flip out or something. You never know, some people are crazy lol

Chanel as a rule will not authenticate anything. It's protection for them and you. The SA's don't know all styles of things, and they are in business to sell you stuff, not validate stuff you find at a discount. The only way they'd do anything is accept it for service, but you'd not find out it's fake until their watchmaker took a look at it. I think it's not a good thing to do. If it's too good of a deal, something is wrong. Usually that means it's fake.

I see nothing but a headache here. The only way for you to know for sure, is for him to provide a cert of authenticity. The great price means nothing if you are unsure as to the quality. I would not want to meet someone alone and wonder what's going to happen if you don't want the watch? Maybe offer to reimburse him for the cert if it's proven real?

I must say I'm no expert on Chanel watches, but I do own a J12 Black and a J12 White, both in 38mm.

Based on my knowledge I doubt if that's an authentic item:
1. I never saw a J12 in matte-like chain. As far as I know most J12 models have chains which are made of ceramic. If you take a closer look at the side of the chains (your first photo), you can see there's a thin line on each chain - that's sth I've never seen on any J12. The chains look as if they're produced by moulding, and they look a bit plastic-ish to me.

2. If you take a look at the bezel (the circle with markings of "0, 15, 30, 45"), it has been turned clockwise for 90 degrees (the "0" ought to be on top but now it's at 3 o'clock). The bezels of my J12s can't be turned?!

HTH and afterall it's just my opinion - I might be wrong. Hopefully other experts could chime in and share their opinions!

+1 the band gives it away! It's not real I have the black j12 and can post pics if you would like to see the difference in what we are taking about.

I agree with you guys! I guess I was just blinded by the price lol. I'm a teeny tiny 4'11 girl so I was unsure in the first place about meeting this guy - even in a crowded department store! And like you guys said, if I don't want it or if they tell him it's fake who knows what he'll do. Thank guys, you might have saved me from a serious problem! :smile: