What do you guys think? Do you feel it is happening around you too?

In Paris its obvious you can see Birkins, mostly on mature woman, arabian and noveau riche... Ive seen some alligators, ostriches, himalayan one, tans, blues, black, white... I don't see much of bright colors or contrast interiors... Once I saw a teenagers arabian and one of them had birkin, didn't seem fake.

Of course its not like this in the whole Paris but still, I had a feeling that a lot of people carry it to my BFs surprise who told me that well, a lot of them are good fakes. And then I started looking closely at their bags and he had right. I don't know whats worse...

Leah said:
A friend sent me this article the other day, so I thought I would pipe in.
I agree 100% with the premise of the article, because my friends and I have experienced this birkin overdose for ourselves. This isn’t even the first article that’s tackled the birkin overload subject, there have been several articles in the press that have come out since last year tackling the very same topic. I just read one the other month entitled The Birkin Backlash, with pretty much the same message.

I started to feel less thrilled about using my birkins perhaps mid last year. In the cities I live in, and travel to for work, birkins have become very common sightings. Last summer, I met up with a friend in NY and every other woman was toting a birkin at the Sak’s café such that when my friend’s husband walked in, he said “what is this, a birkin convention?” Right after NY, I had to fly to Bangkok for a quick business trip and went on a biz lunch. It was the same experience, so many ladies carrying birkins, almost 1 out of every 3. Perhaps not all the birkins being carried were genuine but for me that’s not even relevant. In bigger cities, birkins have become the new LV Speedys (in terms of estimated number of users.)

I have nothing against birkins being made more accessible to more customers, but have to be honest – carrying a bag that so many others around me are carrying has made me less inclined to use my birkins (my birkins are my LEAST used H bags now) Yes I’ve heard the logic – you should dress primarily for yourself and you shouldn’t care what others are wearing or carrying etc etc but fashion/style for me has always been about personal expression. It takes the joy out of wearing and carrying something when everyone around you has the same, starts to feel like a uniform.

And let’s be honest – a big part of the attraction of Hermes bags for many of us in the past was its understated elegance, its anti-seasonal bag, under-the-radar image. These days you can’t pick up a celebrity magazine w/out seeing someone toting a birkin (and sadly these “celebrities” are not the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow anymore.)

Another incident in relation to the Huffington piece. Earlier this year, I walked into FSH. My regular SA greeted me and asked “Is there anything in particular you’re looking for today?” And I said “I’m open to anything EXCEPT another birkin.” I followed that up with “I bet you don’t get THAT a lot!” And he said “Au contraire Madame, my regular customers are all telling me the same thing!” I was actually not THAT surprised to hear that, it validated a lot of what my friends and I had been observing since last year.

One last story and again back at FSH on a different day. I could overhear a tall lady in front of me speaking to her SA (interestingly, the tall lady was talking as she was transferring the contents of her own kelly into what appeared to be a newly purchased kelly) and I heard her say (paraphrased) “oh yes Anna Winner and I were saying nobody we know in New York is using her birkin anymore!” I realized she meant Anna Wintour and as she turned, I recognized the lady speaking as Wendi Murdoch, wife of Rupert. Granted, Wendi Murdoch and Anna Wintour move in more rarefied social and fashion circles but that was still interesting to hear.

Yes I continue to love Hermes and what I personally believe it STILL represents: beautiful craftsmanship, quality, understated elegance. But these days my OTHER non-birkin H bags are meeting those needs, not my birkins, so time to give my birkins a rest (for now.)

Here’s another article from Vanityfair.com that sadly reinforces this notion that the ones that parade the birkins these days are a “certain type of woman” (notably the Kardashians, the reality TV starlets, etc)
Coincidentally it mentions Wendi Murdoch too lol

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/07/wendi-murdoch-tiger-wife-201107

Just to add: I do live in a big city and have to travel for my biz to other big cities hence my somewhat jaded perspective.

Hilarious link, Leah!

A friend sent me this article the other day, so I thought I would pipe in.
I agree 100% with the premise of the article, because my friends and I have experienced this birkin overdose for ourselves. This isn’t even the first article that’s tackled the birkin overload subject, there have been several articles in the press that have come out since last year tackling the very same topic. I just read one the other month entitled The Birkin Backlash, with pretty much the same message.

I started to feel less thrilled about using my birkins perhaps mid last year. In the cities I live in, and travel to for work, birkins have become very common sightings. Last summer, I met up with a friend in NY and every other woman was toting a birkin at the Sak’s café such that when my friend’s husband walked in, he said “what is this, a birkin convention?” Right after NY, I had to fly to Bangkok for a quick business trip and went on a biz lunch. It was the same experience, so many ladies carrying birkins, almost 1 out of every 3. Perhaps not all the birkins being carried were genuine but for me that’s not even relevant. In bigger cities, birkins have become the new LV Speedys (in terms of estimated number of users.)

I have nothing against birkins being made more accessible to more customers, but have to be honest – carrying a bag that so many others around me are carrying has made me less inclined to use my birkins (my birkins are my LEAST used H bags now) Yes I’ve heard the logic – you should dress primarily for yourself and you shouldn’t care what others are wearing or carrying etc etc but fashion/style for me has always been about personal expression. It takes the joy out of wearing and carrying something when everyone around you has the same, starts to feel like a uniform.

And let’s be honest – a big part of the attraction of Hermes bags for many of us in the past was its understated elegance, its anti-seasonal bag, under-the-radar image. These days you can’t pick up a celebrity magazine w/out seeing someone toting a birkin (and sadly these “celebrities” are not the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow anymore.)

Another incident in relation to the Huffington piece. Earlier this year, I walked into FSH. My regular SA greeted me and asked “Is there anything in particular you’re looking for today?” And I said “I’m open to anything EXCEPT another birkin.” I followed that up with “I bet you don’t get THAT a lot!” And he said “Au contraire Madame, my regular customers are all telling me the same thing!” I was actually not THAT surprised to hear that, it validated a lot of what my friends and I had been observing since last year.

One last story and again back at FSH on a different day. I could overhear a tall lady in front of me speaking to her SA (interestingly, the tall lady was talking as she was transferring the contents of her own kelly into what appeared to be a newly purchased kelly) and I heard her say (paraphrased) “oh yes Anna Winner and I were saying nobody we know in New York is using her birkin anymore!” I realized she meant Anna Wintour and as she turned, I recognized the lady speaking as Wendi Murdoch, wife of Rupert. Granted, Wendi Murdoch and Anna Wintour move in more rarefied social and fashion circles but that was still interesting to hear.

Yes I continue to love Hermes and what I personally believe it STILL represents: beautiful craftsmanship, quality, understated elegance. But these days my OTHER non-birkin H bags are meeting those needs, not my birkins, so time to give my birkins a rest (for now.)

Here’s another article from Vanityfair.com that sadly reinforces this notion that the ones that parade the birkins these days are a “certain type of woman” (notably the Kardashians, the reality TV starlets, etc)
Coincidentally it mentions Wendi Murdoch too lol

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/07/wendi-murdoch-tiger-wife-201107

Just to add: I do live in a big city and have to travel for my biz to other big cities hence my somewhat jaded perspective.

Fascinating stories, Leah -- thanks for sharing!

Hi, as a side note I just wanted to say that I'm continually very disappointed by negative comments made here lately regarding the Birkin becoming "commonplace" and some TPFers even saying that they are embarrassed now to carry one.

....saying negative things about the "newly wealthy" carrying them, the unstylish, the people lacking class??? Who are you to judge anyone??? sheesh

I for one didn't grow up wealthy and that was not my fault. We didn't have a summer home in Cannes. My mother didn't provide me a couture fantasy closet to play dress up in.

But if I can't come to TFP so show my Birkins without feeling somewhat slighted, then something is definitely wrong with the temperature in here.

In my area we have not reached the over saturation point and I doubt we ever will, I don't see Birkins at the grocery store. Fakes are not readily available. But you can bet I will be carrying mine everywhere. I still think regular leather 35s are the ultimate casual tote. :graucho::graucho::graucho:

I'm actually supposed to pick up a new B this afternoon... the thought of posting a reveal to some TPFer's eye rolls is bumming me out...

Last edited:
Reactions: lulilu
H isn't only about the Bs/Ks. Many a days, I prefer other under the radar styles from H.

Although, in their endeavor to appeal to the masses, I think H has lost some of it fundamental vision.
This is inevitable sidetracking when second tier companies are racing to dethrone them!
Expansion isn't always the best laid plans, could be a trap, hence this article.
History can attest to over expansion, comes down-sizing, just pick any sector. Food for thought^

To me, it's distasteful to just buy something just cos it can elevate one's status, telltale signs...[/QUOTE]

perfect post doll its exactly what can and in many ways has happened

What Wendi Murdoch said is a funny one, considering herself is a repeat husband stealer, life time gold digger, married to someone who's twice her age for what? Good looks? She was not born into money. Who is she kidding! To me, she doesn't represent class at all! The article from Vanityfair.com is quite right to include her!

The whole thing is like trying to get on a packed train. Everybody wants to get on the train. But once they are on, they don't want anybody else to get on. They complain the train will be even more crowded if others get on too. Very funny mentality.

There's bound to be a backlash whenever anything becomes popular enough... As far as I'm concerned, the Birkin is an amazing bag. It doesn't really matter if it's common or not, because it's one of the perfect utilitarian bags which transcends trends. It's such an icon that it manages to rise above fakes and reality TV.

If anxious fashionistas are abandoning the Birkin, it just means there will be more of them to go around.

What Wendi Murdoch said is a funny one, considering herself is a repeat husband stealer, life time gold digger, married to someone who's twice her age for what? Good looks? She was not born into money. Who is she kidding! To me, she doesn't represent class at all! The article from Vanityfair.com is quite right to include her!

The whole thing is like trying to get on a packed train. Everybody wants to get on the train. But once they are on, they don't want anybody else to get on. They complain the train will be even more crowded if others get on too. Very funny mentality.

I think a lot of people agree with you, Xiangxiang..However, don't you think that she married well? She's used her head, not her heart and moral ground for that matter..

Oh, btw, she was carrying H Constance while slapping that mud-pie guy who was attacking her hubby..Looks really funny..She's epitome of Chinese women. I don't mean just Chinese women after Mao Zhe Tung but I mean Chinese women since Tang dynasty..Chinese women always fight for their families..:graucho: Yes, fight like tigers..or tigresses?

Hi, as a side note I just wanted to say that I'm continually very disappointed by negative comments made here lately regarding the Birkin becoming "commonplace" and some TPFers even saying that they are embarrassed now to carry one.

....saying negative things about the "newly wealthy" carrying them, the unstylish, the people lacking class??? Who are you to judge anyone??? sheesh

I for one didn't grow up wealthy and that was not my fault. We didn't have a summer home in Cannes. My mother didn't provide me a couture fantasy closet to play dress up in.

But if I can't come to TFP so show my Birkins without feeling somewhat slighted, then something is definitely wrong with the temperature in here.

In my area we have not reached the over saturation point and I doubt we ever will, I don't see Birkins at the grocery store. Fakes are not readily available. But you can bet I will be carrying mine everywhere. I still think regular leather 35s are the ultimate casual tote. :graucho::graucho::graucho:

I'm actually supposed to pick up a new B this afternoon... the thought of posting a reveal to some TPFer's eye rolls is bumming me out...

I'm pretty sure no one here is saying there's anything wrong with carrying a Birkin. In my personal opinion - and this is only mine - when I see too much of anything, I become somewhat desensitized.

If you want to do a reveal of what I'm SURE is a totally gorgeous new Birkin you've just purchased, trust me - the tPFers will come in droves to get some eye candy!!

I hope you will do a reveal!! I can't wait to see what you got!! :woohoo:

Last edited:
I think a lot of people agree with you, Xiangxiang..However, don't you think that she married well? She's used her head, not her heart and moral ground for that matter..

Oh, btw, she was carrying H Constance while slapping that mud-pie guy who was attacking her hubby..Looks really funny..She's epitome of Chinese women. I don't mean just Chinese women after Mao Zhe Tung but I mean Chinese women since Tang dynasty..Chinese women always fight for their families..:graucho: Yes, fight like tigers..or tigresses?

I actually don't think she married all that well. People want different things in life. Life is not all about marrying a rich guy. Granted money can buy you a lot of things, but not everything. I personal don't want to wake up in the morning and see Murdoch's wrinkly face! His whole empire now stinks in my country. It's a disgrace!

I also don't think she had a easy life either. Sure material wise she's got nothing to worry about. But I'm sure there are enough publicity/company/family politics to be scheming about.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure no one here is saying there's anything wrong with carrying a Birkin. In my personal opinion - and this is only mine - when I see too much of anything, I become somewhat desensitized.

If you want to do a reveal of what I'm SURE is a totally gorgeous new Birkin you've just purchased, trust me - the tPFers will come in droves to get some eye candy!!

I hope you will do a reveal!! I can't wait to see what you got!! :woohoo:

TIA. Please remember that the rest of the world is not carrying the bag, it just seems that way.

I actually don't think she married well. People want different things in life. Life is not all about marrying a rich guy. Granted money can buy you a lot of things, but not everything. I personal don't want to wake up in the morning and see Murdoch's wrinkly face! His whole empire now stinks in my country. It's a disgrace!
Maybe she just has a secret preferences for wrinkly man!!!!! :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

But honestly there are still people would marry someone a lot older because of True Love! Not sure about her case tho!

She did marry well. If I am in her shoes hard to say what I would do. But this does not justify her action. She married well and got what she wanted. She defends what she got. I do not see her as epitome of Chinese women. I think she is just a woman who got what she wants. Nothing to do with china.

Stealing a man when he is married to another cannot be justified just because she defended him when he is married to her. Two separate issues really.

It's nothing about the sex too. If she were a man I would feel the same way.

Pias said: