What do you guys think about a C de Cartier necklace? Is it worth the money for a 0.25 carat diamond?

Sophie2021

Jun 26, 2021
Hi Guys!

I am really interested in purchasing a solitaire diamond necklace for myself from Cartier. I actually wanted to purchase it in gold/rose gold but I saw reviews saying it would make the diamond look more yellow. So i think I would buy the silver version.

Just wondering what do you guys think? In the UK, places like Goldsmiths, Ernest Jones etc you can buy a 1 carat necklace (diamond solitaire) for about £1000 but the c de cartier necklace is about £2000 for a 0.25 carat diamond. I am just wondering if it's worth the money??

And silly question, can you just leave it on? i.e. when you go to bed, shower etc or would that damage it?

I love the elegant cartier packaging it comes with and the travel pouch.

Reactions: bluerose123
Long story short, it’s not worth the money if you are concerned about diamond quality.

For those small diamonds, Cartier does not tell you the cut, clarity or color of the diamond so it’s difficult to tell how good the quality is. Though I’m sure it’s not like terrible quality lol.
If you’re looking for a simple solitaire diamond and want your money’s worth, go to a store that sells GIA certified diamonds.

For Cartier, we are paying extra for the brand. But if it’s the Cartier brand you want, then go for it.

tbh, for a simple solitaire, no one can tell what brand it is. Cus there’s no trademark design to it that ties it to a specific brand (like how recognizable a Cartier love ring or bracelet).

hope that helps!

Last edited:
I don’t think the above information is correct.

YG/RG settings actually makes the diamond appear whiter than it’s actual color grade; whereas, in a white setting such as WG/Platinum any color in the diamond will be more visible against this setting.

Also, for the C de Cartier design, I think it’s very distinct and very recognizably Cartier. Additionally, the chain has the double C in the back. This setting also makes a small diamond appear much bigger.

I don’t know if they carry it in .25 carat as I think it starts at .30 carat; however, I’ve tried on .30 carat as well as .50 carat in store, and this line provides color, clarity and cut grades for all their diamonds because I believe it falls under the section, “Set For You”.

1625278527888.png

1625278593467.png

WhiteFlash sells ACA (A Cut Above) super ideal cut diamonds for a much lower price. And you can also order WG, YG, etc, in whatever setting you want. I don't usually post specific diamonds and the corresponding ASET images, but you asked if Cartier was worth the money. That much money for a non-super ideal is egregious.

Here is a pic of my 2.47 carat super ideal ACA. (Stone in the center) E, VS1. I am sharing so you can see that you can clearly see the arrows and precise cutting of an ACA.
1625278974749.png

Attachments

• 1625278469482.png
    1625278469482.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 2
With any designer jewlery- you’re paying a big mark up for the brand. You could absolutely get a larger good quality stone for the same money. cartier holds its value better than other brands. If you like the Cartier necklace- it’s worth it. If you want the biggest diamond for the money- it’s not.

as to color- any warm metal will reflect in the diamond- but it won’t make the diamond ”look” yellow. I don’t have the C necklace - but i do have a quarter carat diamond solitaire set in yellow gold- and it looks perfect.

I don’t think the above information is correct.

YG/RG settings actually makes the diamond appear whiter than it’s actual color grade; whereas, in a white setting such as WG/Platinum any color in the diamond will be more visible against this setting.

Also, for the C de Cartier design, I think it’s very distinct and very recognizably Cartier. Additionally, the chain has the double C in the back. This setting also makes a small diamond appear much bigger.

I don’t know if they carry it in .25 carat as I think it starts at .30 carat; however, I’ve tried on .30 carat as well as .50 carat in store, and this line provides color, clarity and cut grades for all their diamonds because I believe it falls under the section, “Set For You”.
This is not true about the setting at all. It depends on the color and cut of the stone.

This is not true about the setting at all. It depends on the color and cut of the stone.

It is true. You can Google it.

Yellow gold makes slight amounts of yellow in a diamond less obvious, while white gold or platinum mountings make the color in yellow diamonds more apparent.

However,, D-F diamonds should only be set in white gold / platinum. Yellow gold reflects color, negating the diamond's colorless effect.

Long story short, it’s not worth the money if you are concerned about diamond quality.

For those small diamonds, Cartier does not tell you the cut, clarity or color of the diamond so it’s difficult to tell how good the quality is. Though I’m sure it’s not like terrible quality lol.
If you’re looking for a simple solitaire diamond and want your money’s worth, go to a store that sells GIA certified diamonds.

For Cartier, we are paying extra for the brand. But if it’s the Cartier brand you want, then go for it.

tbh, for a simple solitaire, no one can tell what brand it is. Cus there’s no trademark design to it that ties it to a specific brand (like how recognizable a Cartier love ring or bracelet).

hope that helps!

100%. This is an excellent answer. Quite frankly, if you’re going to pay a premium for brand name then it should be an iconic piece of such brand like the love bracelet or the JUC. This is just my personal opinion, unless money is truly no object for you. High jewelry is a completely different animal. It’s easy to get excited in the store or wrapped up in the moment but it’s important not to lose sight of the fact that you are paying for the brand name itself.

You can get a high quality solitaire diamond from a reputable local jeweler without the high up charge for a fraction of the price.

As a side note, I have a YG classic love bracelet. It is a classic piece although anyone can buy a solid gold 18k bracelet or bangle with the same gram weight of gold for a fraction of the price. However, I justified this purchase to myself because of cost per wear (I wear it each and every day) AND I had my daughters name and birthdate engraved inside of it. It will become a family heirloom when I pass it down to her. I knew this when I purchased it so I was willing to pay the premium for the Cartier brand and I don’t regret my purchase one bit.

Last edited:
100%. This is an excellent answer. Quite frankly, if you’re going to pay a premium for brand name then it should be an iconic piece of such brand like the love bracelet or the JUC. This is just my personal opinion, unless money is truly no object for you. High jewelry is a completely different animal.

You can get a high quality solitaire diamond from a reputable local jeweler without the high up charge for a fraction of the price.

As a side note, I have a YG classic love bracelet. I paid a premium the brand name. It is a classic piece after all. Anyone can buy a solid gold 18k bracelet or bangle with the same gram weight of gold for a fraction of the price. However, I justified this purchase to myself because of cost per wear (I wear it each and every day) AND I had my daughters name and birthdate engraved inside of it. It will become a family heirloom when I pass it down to her. I knew this when I purchased it so I was willing to pay the premium for the Cartier brand and I don’t regret my purchase one bit.

It is true. You can Google it.

Yellow gold makes slight amounts of yellow in a diamond less obvious, while white gold or platinum mountings make the color in yellow diamonds more apparent.

However,, D-F diamonds should only be set in white gold / platinum. Yellow gold reflects color, negating the diamond's colorless effect.

You’re both right. It does depend on the cut and mostly the color of the stone. If a stone has visible yellow in it (below a J) setting it in YG will help mask it somewhat. Setting it in WG/platinum can make the color more apparent.

but I suspect the stones being sold by Cartier are going to be nearly colorless, and the setting won’t have any material impact for OP’s purposes

You’re both right. It does depend on the cut and mostly the color of the stone. If a stone has visible yellow in it (below a J) setting it in YG will help mask it somewhat. Setting it in WG/platinum can make the color more apparent.

but I suspect the stones being sold by Cartier are going to be nearly colorless, and the setting won’t have any material impact for OP’s purposes
I would not argue with either point. Some people may think the contrast between metal and diamond color emphasizes the whiteness of the diamond and others may prefer the opposite. It also depends on what your eyes are accustomed to seeing and how color sensitive you are. This can vary by person. I am very color sensitive when it comes to modern round brilliants, which is what the OP is buying. But I do know people that are totally fine with I color and lower. I stick with D-F. However it should be mentioned that a super ideal cut diamond at that size would probably mask color quite well. Most people would just notice the sparkle. And one last things about Whiteflash. They have an excellent upgrade program. If you buy their in house diamonds (ACA) Just spend $1 more and you can upgrade. Note that WF uses AGS to grade their diamonds, which includes the cut analysis. Non-U.S. people are often unfamiliar so please read up and understand the pros and cons of AGS graded diamonds. I know if you try to resell internationally it may be a challenge. But to ensure you have the best cut stone, I would rely on AGS cut analysis.

To the OP, if your not in a rush, I suggest going over to the PriceScope forum and study on the diamonds before you make your decision. I also highly recommend Brian Gavin, he actually started white flash and left to create his own brand. He also has a great upgrade program and the diamonds are spectacular!! Lastly, if I were buying branded jewelry, I’d only go for pieces that are unique to the house, Cartier (love, JUC, panther etc), VCA (Alhambra, btf ring, frivole etc). In your case a solitaire is a very common design and I would not spend the premium at Cartier for it, even the C de Cartier setting is not worth the up cost.

Thank you guys for all your wonderful responses! When i reflected more on this on why I was set to buy a necklace from Cartier, I think I was attracted to the brand in a vain way like "Oh yes, my necklace is from Cartier..." and loved the elegant travel pouch and the packaging it came in. But you guys are right, when I do think about it properly, I am mostly paying for the brand name (and their packaging) and as @lill_canele said, it would be quite hard for people to notice/see that you have a cartier necklace on.

I went to Goldsmiths today and saw a sparkly quite big diamond solitaire necklace for pretty much nearly the same price as the cartier tiny one so I need to really re-think this. I do want something from Cartier in the near future...

I was looking at the other products from Cartier like the love bracelet (and I know I might get a lot of backlash for saying this but maybe you guys can change my opinion) but the only thing that would hold me back from purchasing the love bracelet would be the meaning behind it and what it symbolises i.e in the ancient times the man would have the key to open the chain around the woman's waist to prevent infidelity and how initially the Cartier love bracelet sort of symbolised that and was meant to be purchased by the man to "lock" it around the woman's wrist using the screwdriver and only he can open it. I know people are buying it for themselves and the above doesn't necessarily ring true now but IMO I just don't like the meaning/symbolism behind it. Being frank, the first thing that pops in my head is "control" from a man to a woman and I do NOT like that at all.

I choose freedom.

To the OP, if your not in a rush, I suggest going over to the PriceScope forum and study on the diamonds before you make your decision. I also highly recommend Brian Gavin, he actually started white flash and left to create his own brand. He also has a great upgrade program and the diamonds are spectacular!! Lastly, if I were buying branded jewelry, I’d only go for pieces that are unique to the house, Cartier (love, JUC, panther etc), VCA (Alhambra, btf ring, frivole etc). In your case a solitaire is a very common design and I would not spend the premium at Cartier for it, even the C de Cartier setting is not worth the up cost.

I completely agree with your comments! And I think that has helped me make a decision i.e. to not buy the solitaire necklace from Cartier and to get the value for my money elsewhere.

Thank you! I love your reasoning behind it.