What do you expect when you go to hair/nail salon?

lilazn00

Shopaholic>.<
O.G.
Apr 7, 2010
I want to know what people expect when you walk in to a hair salon or nail salon doesn't matter of the sexes. Is what is person expect walking in? the service quality? The prices? Some places can be expensive but i mean if the price is right it's all the matter. The quality has to much the amount you pay!:nuts:

the salon i go to isn't ridiculously priced (haircuts start at $45 depending who you get), but it's the most expensive, high end salon in the area. i love my hairdresser so that's why i go there, but to be honest, it takes her maybe 10 minutes to cut my hair, and timewise, i don't feel i get my money's worth even though i'm happy with the quality of her service.

so for me, i expect an "experience" that matches the price tag. i don't want to be rushed in and out.

i also expect all the workers there to be professional and respectful. one time when i was getting my haircut, 1 of the janitors started sweeping up while i was still sitting there. it wouldn't have really bothered me except that she kept hitting my feet with her broom, and i would have just preferred if she had waited until my haircut was over to clean up.

What I wish I could get when I go to the salon is someone who asks me what I'm looking for, asks for clarification if I'm not being clear, and then achieves my desired end result.

Unfortunately, after having far too many bad experiences, what I expect is for them to completely disregard my wishes and instead do whatever they want. This would be the reason I now do my own nails and cut my own hair. I'm tired of people ripping through my wet hair with fine-toothed combs, cutting my cuticles, and otherwise doing precisely what I ask them NOT to do, every time I go to a salon.

I feel like I spent several years looking for the "right" salon (for hair, I do my own nails) to meet my expectations. The high end salons in my area are INSANELY overpriced, and I come from a midwest city where the high end and most expensive salons are about 1/3 the cost of the ones in DC. So it took me awhile to get used to that. I'm lucky to have low maintenance hair so going to the salon is a real treat for me that I do not enjoy frequently--maybe 4 times a year. I was very happy that I found a salon and hair stylist a couple years ago that I really love. For the price I pay, I expect warm service, a comfortable/ relaxing and soothing environment, and most of all I expect exceptional quality hair cut and color. I also expect a stylist with tons of experience who can tell me honestly if a style or color I like will not work for me, and make recommendations based on vague descriptions that I provide. I definitely expect the salon to be clean and sanitary and use products that are right for my hair. I don't like feeling rushed either. I guess I'm pretty picky about salons! Hope this is helpful.

I expect good service and good communication, then usually the end result will be what I wanted. Prior to my retirement 5 years ago, I had worked in the industry for many, many years, so I know not only what I want, but what I should be expecting as a client. I've been to quite a few hair and beauty salons since my regular girl moved away, and it took me years to find someone just as good. I knew not long after I walked in to my current salon that I'd be happy. It was clean, I got greeted immediately and was offered a cuppa tea because I was told my hairdresser was running a few minutes late. I like to be told these sorts of things, rather than waiting around, twiddling my thumbs and wondering when I'm going to be seen to. I had barely started to drink my tea when I was shown to my chair and a discussion started about what I wanted etc. It’s nice to have a proper consultation, communication is key. A nice conversation flowed during the service and I was comfortable and pleased and have been returning for the past 18 months with no complaints. My hairdresser also now gives me a discount because I have a weekly appointment ($30 instead of $45 for a wash and blow-dry).
Prices do not reflect the service you receive. I've been to some very upmarket salons and not been happy, not because of the price, because I don't care about that, but with the service or the poor attitude of the staff. There was one upmarket salon I went to for almost 10 months, but my last visit there was appalling. Previous visits were great, but on my last visit I was ignored when I walked in and stood at the front desk for more than 5 minutes while a couple of the staff chit chatted out in the back room. I was then told my regular hairdresser, Kellie, wasn't in and someone else was doing my hair, then left me waiting another 13 minutes until I was shown to my chair. I didn't get offered a drink or a magazine or a head massage (and for $250 a pop, I want my usual head massage thankyouverymuch). While I was at the basin, I overheard the staff *****ing about a client, and that is a big no-no. To top it off, the girl was rough when she styled my hair (pulled it with the brush and burned my scalp with the dryer) and had to tell her more than once to be more careful. As I payed I told the manager I wasn't happy and why. I visited that salon every week, sometimes twice a week, and spent a lot of money there on my hair, products and getting my eyelashes and eyebrows tinted, and that salon manager never did call me and talk about why I wasn’t happy. A good owner/manager would. Where I go now is a little cheaper and I'm very happy with all aspects of the salon.
As for nail salons, I do my own nails, but I have gone in and checked some out. Most of the ones around here are nail bars and to be honest, I don't like the way they do the nails (horrid shape, too rough, too much drilling etc.). Getting your nails done shouldn't be painful or take over an hour. I also have no idea what products they use (I assume it's that horrid and cheap MMA dental product because of the cheap prices they charge and all the drilling they do). They also don't look too clean either.
I don’t think I have unreasonably high expectations, but on the other hand, maybe some people don’t have any at all and that's why some places get away with the bad service.

the salon i go to isn't ridiculously priced (haircuts start at $45 depending who you get), but it's the most expensive, high end salon in the area. i love my hairdresser so that's why i go there, but to be honest, it takes her maybe 10 minutes to cut my hair, and timewise, i don't feel i get my money's worth even though i'm happy with the quality of her service.

so for me, i expect an "experience" that matches the price tag. i don't want to be rushed in and out.

i also expect all the workers there to be professional and respectful. one time when i was getting my haircut, 1 of the janitors started sweeping up while i was still sitting there. it wouldn't have really bothered me except that she kept hitting my feet with her broom, and i would have just preferred if she had waited until my haircut was over to clean up.

yes thats very true! not having to pay $45 for a 10 mins cut thats very short i mean not enough to experiences anything

At a spa or nail salon, I like a thorough job with plenty of pampering & hate feeling rushed. I bring my own manicure/pedicure tools, top/base coat & polishes. I definitely like feeling pampered & hate it when someone does not do a good job with a hand/foot massage or does a sloppy job. The funny thing is that I've had some really bad mani/pedis at pricey spas. I will walk out initially if I don't feel a spa is clean (has only happened once), but for some reason I won't complain about a bad outcome (regardless of price). Weird.

My mom has the best nail esthetician - he gives a very serious foot/leg/hand/arm massage, takes his time pumicing away callouses/rough skin, exfoliates with a salt rub, wraps your feet in a cool mask then applies hot towels, leaves you to relax with something to drink, clips cuticles perfectly & is a perfectionist with nail shape/polish application. If he notices you've smudged a nail before leaving, he fixes the issue properly then inspects everything else carefully. That is the ideal experience for me :nuts:

At my hair salon, I'm used to being offered something to drink after I change into a robe - cucumber water, tea, cappuccino, wine or champagne. Then it's straight into a chair if I'm there for color or off to the sinks for a wash. The assistant always makes sure I'm comfortable with positioning & water temperature. My stylist always chats with me before she (color) or he (haircut) does anything. I appreciate that my colorist is very frank with me & tells me my hair is getting too light, etc. Whenever I leave, I feel great.

I've never been to a hair salon in another city or country for a cut or color - I wouldn't trust a stranger or my moodiness (I wanted to chop my hair off in Bangkok as it was so humid!). I have been to many other salons for blowouts or updos. The experience varies. The thing I value the most in a hair salon is the stylist's skills. Communication is important - I won't let someone start doing anything until I'm sure we understand each other. Ideally, I like an interesting, clean atmosphere with pleasant staff, high quality hair products & nice amenities. Great design, good music & a large selection of magazines are always a plus ;)