What do you do with a Chanel that you don't use? Advice please!

Chanieish

May 24, 2010
Hello ladies!

What do you do with a bag you don't/hardly use? Why don't you use them? Do you store and hope for an occasion to bring it out? Or sell? How would you even begin to sell? eBay is scary and consignment stores take a huge commission.

Here's my story. My VERY FIRST Chanel, the one that started this all, was a gorgeous Beige Claire Jumbo. She is absolutely stunning. I carried her for the first time one day, and dark blue transferred from my jeans to the back of my bag. Thankfully the dye wiped off with leather conditioner.

After that I am too horrified to carry her again. That was 3 years ago. She has been sitting in my closet ever since. She is in pristine condition, there are no stains, defects to mention. Occasionally, I think of selling her, but how? eBay gives me the most bang for my buck, but there have been stories of sellers getting duped. How about consignment stores? How much do they take.

Also I have an emotional attachment with her. She was my first Chanel ever. I can't bear to part with her, even though I never see her.

If I did sell her, I would use the money to fun another bag, perhaps the Chateau boy bag. I figure I'd use that more.

Sorry for the long rambling. I'm just torn. :sad:

I think you should keep your bag.

Chanel can treat it to make it stain resistant. I don't know what the service is called but it has been mentioned on this forum before. Maybe call a boutique to ask? They should also be able to tell you how much it will cost. But I really think you should keep and use your first, gorgeous Chanel bag and don't worry about selling it. Especially since whatever else you would wind up buying nowadays will either be very different quality and/or a seasonal piece and neither is as valuable as what you already own. Even if you don't get the bag treated, you saw for yourself that the color transfer was able to wipe off with leather cleaner, so the lambskin isn't as delicate as you think. Just use it with care, put some regular maintenance into it and enjoy!

Do you still love the look of your bag? If so, keep it. If you don't think it's pretty anymore, sell it. Btw, eBay usually charges you about 200~300 fees for selling a bag at a price 2000~4000. Hope you find the bag you use often :smile:

Oh I am so sorry to hear your trauma with your beige claire... I know your bag is gorgeous... I would never sell any of my classic flaps, especially if they are from years back.... the quality they have are unrivaled with the latest editions.... I don't think you should sell her in exchange for the seasonal bags not to mention if you want another classic the prices are now far higher than what you got your beige claire for.... Before you decide further, why don't you give her a try again and carry her out about town...

Thank you for your input everyone! It's the Caviar version, so it is slightly less high delicate than the lambskin. I talked to my boyfriend as well, and he said the emotional attachment I have to that bag is priceless and I would probably feel really blue if I sold it.

You ladies are right. I think I will keep it.

I'll research the stain resistant treatment Chanel can give.

As for wearing it with lighter color clothes, I do wear jeans a lot day to day, but I guess when I am wearing white/mint/peach jeans I will try to give her a whirl again. :smile:

I think you should keep your bag. For reasons that the bag is your first ever Chanel, it is a very versatile color you can use any time, it was 3 years ago that you bought it - so its probably a better quality than those you find today, the bag is such a classic you cant go wrong keeping it. HTH

glad u decided not to sell.im also wear dark color jeans almost everyday but when i want to wear my delicate color bags,i wear it with leggings,skirt or light color clothes :smile:

I also am glad you decided to keep her. I have beige claire in lambskin and it is one of my favorite bags. I do not wear mine with dark jeans.... only light colored clothing. I save my darker bags to wear with denim. Best wishes!

I'm in a similar situation except mine's a patent taupe M/L. I bought it two years ago and didn't do the research about color transfer. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I went into the boutique with full intention of buying a black SHW M/L and fell in love (or got distracted) with the patent taupe.

I've used it less than 5 times but I still love it and want to buy a black M/L. Since its still in great condition, I think about selling it because I'll get more wear out of a black M/L.

Still confused as to what I should do with it !

I'm in a similar situation except mine's a patent taupe M/L. I bought it two years ago and didn't do the research about color transfer. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I went into the boutique with full intention of buying a black SHW M/L and fell in love (or got distracted) with the patent taupe.

I've used it less than 5 times but I still love it and want to buy a black M/L. Since its still in great condition, I think about selling it because I'll get more wear out of a black M/L.

Still confused as to what I should do with it !

I have a patent taupe maxi and I carry her the most among all my Chanels... I wear jeans constantly and constantly face downpours Kuala Lumpur is known for... I find it a durable bag and a beauty to boot.... no color transfer so far... such a pity you feel such regret for your bag....did you have color transfer on it??

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 696
I have on occassion thought of letting go of my very first Chanel, a mini black lambskin. It's been in it's box for the past couple of years, and every once in a while I wonder if I shouldn't just sell and get something I'd use more (I've had offers). But in the end, I think I'm emotionally attached as well! And the whole Ebay route scares me. I guess I'll use it one day, when my son and future baby are older.
Same goes for my 12A red Jumbo. Haven't used it since I bought it. Waiting for spring to come along and finally take it out.:heart:

Good to hear you're keeping yours - if you were so unsure, it's a sign you should hang on to it!

I've often contemplated selling my first Chanel as well, but I agree that the emotional attachment is too great. It's definitely not something to take lightly and considering the ever increasing prices lately you can never re-purchase for the price you originally paid if you change your mind. I think if you really don't end up wearing it in the next 3 years, then consider selling to a consignment store.

I think you should keep your bag since you have so much bond and memories with her. This is how i keep my clothes from color transfer, i always boil water with vinegar and salt then soak my new bought clothes in for 30. This help color to stay and prevent color transfer onto bag. I own many light color bag and none have color transfer. I hope this will be helpful for you.