What do you do when the bag you want isnt practical?

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I doubt I am the only one that creates a list if features you want/need in your next bag but all of the bags that fit that category don't make you fall in love and the bags you fall in love with, don't meet any of your criteria . In those cases, do you settle for what is useful, buy what you love and risk it not fitting your lifestyle or hold off potentially forever, looking for the "perfect one"?

I generally will go ahead and get it because I will always find some use for it but if it's just not at all practical I'll pass. Sometimes though I make a mistake and think I'll find a use for it and when I try I fail, those I'll generally just sell off.

I'd just buy it and see what happens. If it really doesn't fit into my lifestyle I'd sell it. No point in keeping something you won't use. It's a purse, not a piece of art.

I also struggle with this same issue. I love hand held bags, like the Celine luggage, but it's just not practical for my lifestyle, living in NYC and running around on the subway. I just need a shoulder strap.

Depends on how long I've been eyeing the bag. If I really want it, I will buy it and try to work it into my lifestyle. It will probably not be my "go-to" bag, but I'll keep it as a reminder of why I shouldn't go after another version of the same bag.

Basically, I'll use the bag but probably not to its full potential.

Traclyn said:
I also struggle with this same issue. I love hand held bags, like the Celine luggage, but it's just not practical for my lifestyle, living in NYC and running around on the subway. I just need a shoulder strap.

This is one of my problems. I love hand held bags but with two kids, I need a shoulder strap. I also love rich leather bags but I need something durable like lv canvas...but those aren't the bags I fall in love with! Ugh

I generally go for practical. I've wasted so much money in the past buying (then selling) bags that don't work for my lifestyle. I fell in love with the Givenchy Antigona, but bought the Pandora as that suits me better. Most of my collection fit around my lifestyle, except my Prada Saffiano lux tote, but she's such a beauty!

I am very careful when buying a bag....I look at everything....Will the handles be long enough to carry the bag on the shoulder when I have a coat?
Is the bag easy to open and close?
Is the zipper long enough?
Is the bag heavy?
Isn'it it too trendy?
Is it worth the price I am going to pay?
And I have noticed that if one of those points was not taken into account while I still bought the bag, I just don"t carry it....

If the bag I want isn't practical, I size up my current bag inventory and see if there are others that fall into that category. If there is, I'll pass. If there isn't, I might consider it a splurge purchase and use the bag as an accessory to my wardrobe.

The only criteria I have is that the bag needs to be at least 15" wide.

Currently I don't have a huge yearning to "have" so I would probably pass it up easily.

Went on a bag buying binge last year and didn't really think about function (these bags are just sitting in my closet). Now I'm regretting it and will be much more methodical for my next purchase.

If it doesn't fit my lifestyle then I don't buy it. In the early stages of my 'collecting' I would purchase bags because I liked the way they looked or the price was right. I have a lot of bags sitting in my closet - untouched. I need something that will work for my life and if it doesn't, then it is a waste of money.

i'll say "buy it"

most impractical bags tend to be a structured bag which looks like a piece of art.of course i won't use it everyday, but i'll still bring them out during weekends.

after busying for days, why don't give yourself a break, dress nicely,take a nice bag and go out for a walk?