What do you assume?

See, I just don't get that. Why does he not look like he owns it? What does the owner of a BMW look like? What does a thief look like? Isn't it stereotyping people to believe that people who own luxury goods look, dress, and/or act a certain way?

I was very fortunate to grow up extremely privileged, and I am also not white, so I'm very experienced with people having all sorts of assumptions about what I am supposed to "be" like. It is...strange...to see these kinds of ideas here.

Actually stereotyping exists for a reason.....statistically speaking most owners of luxury goods (BMW being considered a luxury good) will fall under certain parameters for looks, income, dress, choice of neighborhood, etc.
It's not that anyone is really looking down on the person who looks like a complete slob who happens to be driving a BMW, it's just that it's not the norm to see that.
Anyway, that's my interpretation of Baglady's comment, right or wrong it's how I read it.

If I see a LV, Chanel or Hermes I look & admire (and hubby will point out a LV if I miss it LOL). I assume real unless it is an obvious fake. Hubby always asks "is it real?" and like another poster said, I am no expert unless it is an obvious fake. Then I just roll my eyes to myself and go on. Being from the Midwest, dressing casual is the norm. People that I know that have money don't dress up every time they go shopping (yoga pants and hoodie with a LV). I am a jeans/shorts and tshirt kinda gal if I am out shopping. I am not about to wear fussy clothes to try on clothes at the department store. I wear very minimal to no make-up unless it is for a special event. People probably assume my LV is fake but I don't care, I buy for the luxury brand and its history.
Your area sounds a lot like mine! We're very casual people where in from. What state in the Midwest are you from if you don't mind my asking?

As I pointed out earlier, I am not white. Thus, I am very well aware of how stereotypes work. Why it would need to be explained to me is just...

I'm simply saying that here it's very interesting to see the ideas that people are so casual about tossing around here (and in the status thread).

Ok, got it. People ask questions and other people answer.....and there are tons of viewpoints out there in the world so yes you will see some that surprise you or that you disagree with. And that's perfectly alright.
People are complicated.....

Reactions: Born4thjuly
I commute to work daily and it became some sort of a habit of mine to check people´s LVs on the tram - whether they are fake or not. And sadly 7 out of 10 are bad or really bad fakes. I don`t judge people for carrying fakes, it´s so common in this city. But usually the really bad fakes are carried by people who also have a really bad taste in clothes. :no:

See, I just don't get that. Why does he not look like he owns it? What does the owner of a BMW look like? What does a thief look like? Isn't it stereotyping people to believe that people who own luxury goods look, dress, and/or act a certain way?

I was very fortunate to grow up extremely privileged, and I am also not white, so I'm very experienced with people having all sorts of assumptions about what I am supposed to "be" like. It is...strange...to see these kinds of ideas here.
Agreed

I am also not white and had a great upbringing but I know my color is the reason when some hug their handbag a little tighter or move it away from me while in line even though my bag cost 10×s more. Or do the speedwalk through the parking lot, jump in the car and hit the locks like 5 times like I'm a purse snatcher. This happens to my husband quite often also. This crap does happen. I don't assume some people think this way, I know some do. Not saying everyone. It's not okay but what can I do about it? My dad approaching his beautiful car to SOME does look like he's up to no good when hes dressed like that. Stereotyping has always existed. It will continue to live long after im gone. I just live in this world, I didn't create it or make people think one way or the other, some just do. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from. In my family we choose humor and laugh when we see these things happen or when it happens to one of us. We discuss, laugh and move on. It's their ignorance, not mine/ours.

Yes! I never assume anything. My dad who's now retired has a $90,000 bmw and loves working around the house and yard stuff. I've seen him hop in his Beemer in dirty overalls, torn tee and work boots heading to Home Depot simply because my mom has his F150 blocked in the driveway. He looks like he's stealing the car, not the owner. He has worked hard all his life and couldn't care less what others think. I find it hilarious. Even if you can afford an expensive bauble or two doesn't mean you don't live a real life and your wife wants the fence fixed asap LOL! Never judge a book by its cover. I'm going to tell him about being a Luxury Ninja-that's good!!!

I get what you are saying not sure why your post is being nitpicked. I drive a Mercedes and I've had people make comments to me about how they can't believe I drive one because I'm so young looking. Many people think of Mercedes drivers as being older or if you look young they think trust fund baby, I don't care what they think. Fact is stereotypes are real, they happen, end of story.

It's really not all that strange. People sterotype, people judge. It's instinct based on survival in all of us, our brains are wired to do so. Just courious, you have never been guilty of stereotyping anyone in your entire life?

Back to the topic: I only really pay attention to LV's that are more rare to see and I can pretty much tell authentic verse fake however honestly I don't give much thought to it when I'm out and about.

I see a lot of fake mono bags in my city, but then I see a lot of authentic ones too. If I'm in certain areas then I don't think twice that it could be a fake. But, there are other times where I question the bag. I always wonder if when I do buy an LV, will people wonder if my bag is fake? Usually I gravitate towards all leather bags, but lately I have really been itching to buy something in Mono canvas! Going to start with SLGs then move up to bags after I feel comfortable carrying mono.

Hahaha The title of this thread is .... "What Do You Assume?" That is like totally asking for answers that can be viewed as stereotyping... What I find //strange// is you taking the time to criticize someone on a LOUIS VUITTON PURSE FORUM THREAD about their choice in words regarding describing their father... If you don't expect to see stereotypically classist or socially, culturally, economically insensitive comments on a forum designed to discuss how much people love their expensive handbags, then you really must come from an extremely privileged background if that caused you confusion... HA... While stereotyping and classism are definitely not good things about the human race, they definitely do exist but in much worse forms then the statement you took issue with. And for you to condescendingly reply to someone's comment on their own father... which in reality was quite harmless... then that is what is truly strange. #sorrynotsorry

I work in a bar, and one of my closest friends and the girl I work with almost everyday, shares the same love of Louis Vuitton that I do. So every time someone walks into the restaurant with a bag (because most of the time they set it on the bar top for us to stare at for a bit) we chat and say, we like it, don't like it, is it real, is it not? I don't assume anything, most of the guests where I work wear real stuff, and I have had a chat with a couple of regular's that have told me and I know their bags are fake. Also where I live and work everyone around me is kind of The Who's who of the town, and loves to show off their expensive things- whether it be cars, purses, money whatever. I am pretty good at knowing previous lines and LV history, and if I don't I always try to look it up before I assume.

I don't assume anything. A bag wouldn't even catch my eye unless I was interested in it or I felt like it looks amazing with the rest of what the person was wearing and even then I wouldn't always notice. Even when I do notice the bag, I wouldn't assume it was real or not. It doesn't come to my mind at all.

Reactions: kkfiregirl
Your area sounds a lot like mine! We're very casual people where in from. What state in the Midwest are you from if you don't mind my asking?

Oklahoma. I am currently living in a different state due to my husband's job but it is still very casual here too.