Chanel 22 bag Club!

I purchase the metallic navy in Small, now tempted to purchase a medium in Grey so I can use it as an actual work bag to lug around my laptop. Haha this can be a dangerous addiction…
Agree medium is better size for work bag.

While I was able to fit my 14” laptop in small, there was no more allowance. Buttons a bit difficult to close so I just let it be. It still worked out nicely but medium would be better.

I just got the small metallic pink with bronzed hardware as it was such a show stopper when I saw it at the boutique. I initially thought this bag was terrible but it totally grew on me, and these bags are so lovely in person. I think it was someone’s return as it was missing all the hardware protection and the original tag, but there was no damage on it that I could see. I got it home and started looking for reviews on it and of course stumbled on all the YouTube videos about peeling/cracking issues with the bag…I am nervous to keep it now, and have not worn it yet as I am still thinking about it…and while I am so sorry that some people are having issues, I imagine A LOT of these 22 bags have been sold, and they can’t all be having issues!

And as the issues are related to the leather and not the functional components of the bag I am not sure how Chanel will deal with bags that show these wear issues after a few months of light to normal wear…it does not really fall into their 5 year warranty as written unless it becomes a known issue and accepted defect by them.

Anyway, I know it is up to me to make my own mind up about keeping or returning - I am just sharing my stream of consciousness on the bag! My thought is that if I gentle scruntch the leather in gently while the bag is still on the counter so the angle of pull on the leather tube is bending the leather tube inwards less and is more straight up and down when it hangs that maybe I can reduce the chances of the leather wear where the chain exits the tube….I should probably just decide to keep and enjoy the bag though rather than worrying about how I will pick it up!

So, I am in the middle of watching this video reviewing the quality of different Chanel leathers. All of you who are interested in the 22 should watch this. She starts talking about the 22 around 13:20. You won't believe this.
Spoiler: 22 leather is not fully leather. It's pretty ridiculous to pay so much for low quality "leather" IMO.

ETA: She suspects the 22 is made of Bonded leather. What is bonded leather exactly? Watch from the 26min mark. In short, think of a hot dog claiming it's a "beef" hot dog, which we all know contains parts of beef as well as a mixture of other things.

Last edited:
Agree medium is better size for work bag.

While I was able to fit my 14” laptop in small, there was no more allowance. Buttons a bit difficult to close so I just let it be. It still worked out nicely but medium would be better.
My 22 is a medium and it is perfect. The difference between small and medium in the 22 bag design isnt that different i think it is only a cm or two?

Also visually I think the medium is a better size, since it is meant to be a hobo and "oversized" :smile:

Small: 34.5x37x8cm. / 13.6x14.6x3.1in
Medium: 38x42x8cm. / 15x16.5x3.1in

They are the same in depth, the medium is taller/wider by 1.5-2 inches.
I prefer the small for my purpose and how it hangs on me. It’s not really all that big. I have folded mine in half one time and had worn it as a clutch over the weekend at a cocktail event. I find it quite versatile as I was only planning on using it for work stuff, initially.
Agree that if you plan to stuff it, then choose the bigger size so it still drapes.
I have the metallic navy and have been using it for 3 weeks now and it’s holding up well.
So I don’t really understand some generalising the issue to metallics. It must be certain leathers or coating or something. I also have no doubts that mine feels and smells like any leather, very same texture/feel as my reissues probably because both are calfskin. I think I lucked out with mine. I ordered it unseen so I’m really pleased with the one I got.

I actually really like the bag. Have liked it since they introduced it on the runway but can’t pinpoint why and was surprised that they branded it as a new ‚classic‘

I have it as a backback and love that you can wear it in three ways: top handle, on one shoulder and as a backpack. It’s easy to use.

I also have the rubbing issue in one of the four holes but cannot see it without the flashlight of my phone. It happened immediately on the first day and hasn‘t gotten worse since. If it does I’ll rely on the warranty and hope for the best. Something about the bag just spoke to me.

I treat it as a fashion piece though and didn’t come for the quality as sad as it sounds.

View attachment 5572680
Such a cool look. I would go for a backpack in a few seasons after they work out the rubbing issue.

you can see that only in direct sunlight or strong light.

I inspected my other bags.

chanel classic flap - outside caviar is pristine, inner flap ( the one with maroon leather lining) is however cracking.

chanel patent bag with fabric lining - nothing as far as I can see.

other brands -eg Lady Dior and Celine- some peeling towards the edges / bottom

hermes, balenciaga, givenchy, saint laurent, LV etc seem to be ok but it may vary depending on model.

you can see that only in direct sunlight or strong light.

I inspected my other bags.

chanel classic flap - outside caviar is pristine, inner flap ( the one with maroon leather lining) is however cracking.

chanel patent bag with fabric lining - nothing as far as I can see.

other brands -eg Lady Dior and Celine- some peeling towards the edges / bottom

hermes, balenciaga, givenchy, saint laurent, LV etc seem to be ok but it may vary depending on model.
Good to hear that it’s not that obvious