What do y'all think about the Balenciaga SS23 & Adidas collab "teddy" controversy?

What's your take in the Balenciaga teddy bear controversay?

• It's harmless

Votes: 23 3.2%
  • It's disgusting

Votes: 553 76.7%
  • It's just to garner attention - Balenciaga being Balenciaga

Votes: 94 13.0%
  • I don't know what to think

Votes: 46 6.4%
  • What controversay? (links in post)

Votes: 5 0.7%

• Total voters
Bears repeating!
We'd like to leave this thread open, but political conspiracy theories, among other comments need to stop. Discuss the topic only please, let's keep the discussion open and all responses to others need to remain respectful.

Also, let’s stick closely to topic, it really helps preventing tangents and drama.

Last edited:
I personally don't feel attacked but many of your posts seemed accusatory toward members here or people in general.
I responded to the other brands being brought into the convo..

I think they should all be fired. PERIOD
I believe Bal should be boycotted until all involved are fired.
But in the end; I haven't liked anything for the last 8 yrs or so and I don't believe anyone should feel guilty for enjoying what they already own.
That’s your opinion on the part of ‘accusatory remarks’ and I disagree with your opinion since it went off south in the opposite direction of my intentions.

Yes. Those involved should be fired from balenciaga - so that you and I can agree.

That’s your opinion on the part of ‘accusatory remarks’ and I disagree with your opinion since it went off south in the opposite direction of my intentions.

Yes. Those involved should be fired from balenciaga - so that you and I can agree.

Well all of this is just our opinions and you are entitled to yours as I am mine.
I believe the other brands being brought up helped with confusion.

I do NOT support Bal or Demon errrr Demna. I believe a boycott is justified, I just do not agree with retroactive boycotting of individuals that loved & purchased the brand LONG before the current monsters were relevant.
So we can end on an agreement and that's a good thing.
CHEERS and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I have not seen any ads with children holding Barbie Dolls dressed in bondage gear?
From what I understand, Barbie dolls provide unrealistic portrayals of women, even in India they are white, blue eyed and blond. I see how this is a problem and how it could affect a child's confidence perhaps?
I'm not the person to ask, I hated them and put some in a toaster oven and started a fire.
Off topic, fun fact, but the original Barbie doll was modeled after Bild Lilli, a German doll marketed to adults that was based off an explicit cartoon series.

Have fun unpacking that!

Kim Kardashian during the Angie Martinez IRL podcast 12/26/22:

On the Balenciaga controversy and being called out for not speaking out fast enough…

“The Balenciaga thing. It was like ‘why aren’t you speaking out?’ And I’m like wait, I’m not in this campaign. I don’t know what’s happening, let me take a minute…as soon as I saw what everyone was seeing on the Internet and the reality of the situation, I completely spoke out and gave my thoughts on child p–n and completely denounced it,” she said.

“But because I didn’t say, ‘f–k you, Balenciaga, that’s it,’ people got mad at that. So it’s like, they’re mad if I don’t speak out. They’re mad if I do speak out, and if I don’t cancel. They’re just mad that if you don’t cancel someone in today’s society, then…I know people talk about cancel culture, but it’s still happening. It’s never been my place. The point of life is to make mistakes and to grow and to involve and be better people. Obviously there is absolutely no place for an ounce to even play with anything with children. Any sexualization of children, there’s not an ounce of that should be in our brains, in our society. I get that. I couldn’t have been more clear, this is horrifying, this is disturbing.”

Kim Kardashian during the Angie Martinez IRL podcast 12/26/22:

On the Balenciaga controversy and being called out for not speaking out fast enough…

“The Balenciaga thing. It was like ‘why aren’t you speaking out?’ And I’m like wait, I’m not in this campaign. I don’t know what’s happening, let me take a minute…as soon as I saw what everyone was seeing on the Internet and the reality of the situation, I completely spoke out and gave my thoughts on child p–n and completely denounced it,” she said.

“But because I didn’t say, ‘f–k you, Balenciaga, that’s it,’ people got mad at that. So it’s like, they’re mad if I don’t speak out. They’re mad if I do speak out, and if I don’t cancel. They’re just mad that if you don’t cancel someone in today’s society, then…I know people talk about cancel culture, but it’s still happening. It’s never been my place. The point of life is to make mistakes and to grow and to involve and be better people. Obviously there is absolutely no place for an ounce to even play with anything with children. Any sexualization of children, there’s not an ounce of that should be in our brains, in our society. I get that. I couldn’t have been more clear, this is horrifying, this is disturbing.”

Girl just say you are contractually obligated to promote them and go. I am starting to believe Fantasia when she says these celebrities are all smoke and mirrors and not as rich as they claim to be. Their overhead expenses are massive and they can't afford to lose a deal.

How are your Balenciaga stores looking traffic-wise? I pop in a couple of times a week to Tysons Galleria and its been completely bare whenever I walk by. Most recently the day before Christmas Eve the luxury stores were PACKED except Balenciaga without one customer. I was shocked at how the outrage is transitioning into less floor traffic (idk how many order online). The Neiman's at Tysons took down all the Marc Jacobs, Coach, TB, Furla, bags etc and replaced them with a huge Balenciaga floorset. My SA said the Bal bags weren't selling so they are displaying them more prominently.

Does anyone know if this has affected overall sales and profits at bal ? The best way a consumers voice can be heard is to stop giving them your money and allowing them to profit off of you when they do things you disagree with. I don’t own any bal but was considering some bags. Glad I didn’t pull the trigger but I don’t think I ever will now. Also planning on not buying from any kering brands in the near future.

I'm still seeing customers in the stores in my regular centre I go to in Australia. I haven't seen lines but I wouldn't say they are empty. I wouldn't be flaming or judging anyone for shopping there.

Reactions: PRinLA
Interesting. Balenciaga at Tysons is the only one in the Washington DC area. There is A LOT of wealth up here so I was quite taken aback to see the store empty multiple times during the holiday shopping season.

I am not sure what normal sales cycles Bal has, but a lot of clothing items at Saks are marked down 50-70% off.

I personally don't feel attacked but many of your posts seemed accusatory toward members here or people in general.
I responded to the other brands being brought into the convo..

I think they should all be fired. PERIOD
I believe Bal should be boycotted until all involved are fired.
But in the end; I haven't liked anything for the last 8 yrs or so and I don't believe anyone should feel guilty for enjoying what they already own.
I agree the ones in charge should be fired. If they didn’t know what was going on, surely they should have known and were not doing their jobs, so fire them. However, I believe they knew and thought they could get away with it. There is no defending what they did and the many pictures with the same hidden clues that were posted. And no amount of pointing out the sins of others will erase theirs. Use your Balenciaga or not, it’s up to each person. As for me, until they show some corrective action, back of the closet.

How are your Balenciaga stores looking traffic-wise? I pop in a couple of times a week to Tysons Galleria and its been completely bare whenever I walk by. Most recently the day before Christmas Eve the luxury stores were PACKED except Balenciaga without one customer. I was shocked at how the outrage is transitioning into less floor traffic (idk how many order online). The Neiman's at Tysons took down all the Marc Jacobs, Coach, TB, Furla, bags etc and replaced them with a huge Balenciaga floorset. My SA said the Bal bags weren't selling so they are displaying them more prominently.
I was there on the 23rd and I was shocked to see a few people shopping in there. I figured that not everyone is keeping up with the news.

Reactions: PurseUOut
An ad doesn’t bother me. I don’t really care for ads. I would argue that Barbies are worse but millions of Barbies are circulating the world.

What bothers me is the outrage over the ads when there are children out there abused in secret or in certain societies. Child marriages still takes place in certain parts of our world and no one really blows that up, compared to one miserable ad in the first world which garners outrage.

With or without the ad, child abuse has and had been present since humans came to existence. Let’s do our part instead of focusing on social media, focus on the real cases of neglected children and abuse.

I myself volunteer to tutor or sponsor children from underprivileged or abusive backgrounds to give them a fighting chance to break away from the cycle of poverty. On our own, one can’t save everyone but at least if one kid becomes a law abiding tax paying citizen, determined to overcome their circumstance, that’s good enough for me.

So if you really want to do something, don’t make noise over some stupid ad campaign. Do something real about it - contribute. Small drops of water can turn into oceans. If social media is your thing, highlight the real problems going on out there. Just don’t buy the merchandise that offends.

(edit: some one thinks I am putting down others. Not my intention but I won’t apologise for it when someone over analysed or misinterpreted my opinion and takes offence at an assumed intention which I never had).
The ad bothers me because I think it helps normalize terrible things, but I very much appreciate your message.

Reactions: Jktgal and janetaz