what do u think

heavensent

Shop-a-holic
Sep 20, 2005
About a five year old with a cell phone ???

this one in particular
medium_8032_firefly.jpg

Mom and Dad dialing keys
Up to 20 programmable numbers
850/1900 MHz - Dual-band compatibility
Incoming and outgoing call restrictions
Caller ID
Personalize: Color lights, animations and ring tones
Special 911 button
Interchangeable translucent shells
12 fun ringtones
7 screen colors
5 animations
96 x 32 pixel display with 7-color backlight

I am considering getting one for my son

for when he goes out in case of emergency

what do you think

:nuts: OMG I saw these at this convention thingy, for new ideas. I was thinking to myself, Great...an 8 yr old with a phone! THeir is so many variety's, their's one company I think Tyco or semething ( I can look it up if anyone needs it) They so many variables to fit someone's needs. It's a pretty good idea, now 12 yr old's can contact mom and dad with out having full phone

i think it's a good idea because of the restrictions. you definately want your child to be able to contact you if there's an emergency, i would think, but a regular phone would give too many opportunities for disruptions at school and misuse.

I think they are all pointless. If the child is too young to be using a real phone, why are they in situations where they are their own? My son is 11, lives in NYC and does not have his own phone. Some of his friends so and it fosters a false sense of security. The parents think the kid is always in contact but its not true. They let the batteries die, they leave the phones in their lockers, their backpacks. I had a situation where a friend of my son's was here and his phone kept ringing and ringing and the boy never picked it up (he was temporarily paralyzed by the use of a PS2!). When I finally pushed the kid to call his house, his babysitter was FRANTIC. She didn't know he was at my house and she had no idea where he was. But because he had the phone, the family belief is that anyone can be reached anywhere at anytime.

Again, if they aren't mature enough to use a real phone, they don't need one of these. They need an adult with them at all times. And my 11 year old fits into that 'not yet mature enough' category!

Issmom said:
I think they are all pointless. If the child is too young to be using a real phone, why are they in situations where they are their own? My son is 11, lives in NYC and does not have his own phone. Some of his friends so and it fosters a false sense of security. The parents think the kid is always in contact but its not true. They let the batteries die, they leave the phones in their lockers, their backpacks. I had a situation where a friend of my son's was here and his phone kept ringing and ringing and the boy never picked it up (he was temporarily paralyzed by the use of a PS2!). When I finally pushed the kid to call his house, his babysitter was FRANTIC. She didn't know he was at my house and she had no idea where he was. But because he had the phone, the family belief is that anyone can be reached anywhere at anytime.

Again, if they aren't mature enough to use a real phone, they don't need one of these. They need an adult with them at all times. And my 11 year old fits into that 'not yet mature enough' category!

good point!

The question here: Why is your child in a place where you can't reach them in the first place? Seriously. If I had a child the kid would either be 1. at school 2. at family's 3. at a friends (parental supervision required)

alice said:
The question here: Why is your child in a place where you can't reach them in the first place? Seriously. If I had a child the kid would either be 1. at school 2. at family's 3. at a friends (parental supervision required)

my thought is that you don't buy it for those situations, you buy it for when they're walking home from a friend's house and sprain their ankle or get stranded at a neighborhood pool when their friend runs off or lost in a mall or something. i'm assuming the phone is pretty cheap or it probably wouldn't be cost effective, but i remember what we used to do when we were kids. our neighborhood had lots of woods and we'd wander off and do all kinds of crazy thing that may result in needing medical care, so that's what i thought of when i read that. none of us had any phones and we'd wander at least a mile back.

but then i can see where it would create a false sense of security. my mom is a worrier and when i was at home last weekend, my almost-18-year-old brother called on his cell and he didnt have good service so he got disconnected immediately and my mom FREAKED OUT for about 5 minutes until he called back because he was out alone at night. my brother is 6'4 and 250 and she still clings to that cell phone like it's what's going to protect him. he can protect himself, lol

The concept of instant access is rather damaging. I know that my son thinks I can be reached at any time. Its mostly true. But if I'm in a place where I don't get reception, he feels 'lost' -- I'm talking about when he's calling from school or from home, he's not left alone at this point. When I was little, there were plenty of times when Mommy went out and you just couldn't reach her. Basically, there were no cell phones so you just didn't reach ANYONE who was out and about running errands.

I think we believe we are always in contact but when that fails (thank you for the example, Amanda....) we really FREAK out! How would a mother of 2005 (I'm one and I can't answer this question) feel if she had the technology of 1965 when it comes to keeping track of her kids? I know the world is a different place but these technologies are not foolproof and the human need to believe that they are is a dangerous mix.

Issmom said:
The concept of instant access is rather damaging. I know that my son thinks I can be reached at any time. Its mostly true. But if I'm in a place where I don't get reception, he feels 'lost' -- I'm talking about when he's calling from school or from home, he's not left alone at this point. When I was little, there were plenty of times when Mommy went out and you just couldn't reach her. Basically, there were no cell phones so you just didn't reach ANYONE who was out and about running errands.

I think we believe we are always in contact but when that fails (thank you for the example, Amanda....) we really FREAK out! How would a mother of 2005 (I'm one and I can't answer this question) feel if she had the technology of 1965 when it comes to keeping track of her kids? I know the world is a different place but these technologies are not foolproof and the human need to believe that they are is a dangerous mix.

then she got mad at me for picking our service provider :Push:

My 15 year just got a phone and only because she walks 1 mile or more somedays from school to my office (says she needs exercise). For me it was a hard decision but its better to be safe than sorry. I agree with you Issmom, she wouldn't have had a phone unless it was a necessity and any younger than this I would have said no definately no way. I also now call the #'s they look odd to me to see who she is talking to so she still doesn't really have cell phone freedom!