What do i wear to a blacktie wedding?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have a black tie wedding next month and am thinking i should wear a full length dress, do most women wear these? im not a very dressy girl (love my jeans) so im not really sure what to wear, if i do wear a long dress it has to be pretty simple!

Any advice?

ps its in Ireland.

2. I can't speak for most people, but "black tie" means floor-length evening gown. And yes, that's what I wear.

3. anytime I am invited to a black tie event, I always wear a full length dress..and most do.. at least in my circle... but some women don't

Is there someone from the wedding party you can ask to be sure..like the bride's mother?

4. Thanks for the quick response girls, yes i could ask the brides mother, its my cousins wedding. now, where to find a full length. im clueless, i know nordstrom ship international, so i'll try there.

5. This is just my opinion but to me black tie means formal evening gown. But remember, don't over do it too much - you don't want to take away from the bride ;)

6. ^ Very pretty - I think it's dressy but elegant with a little flash - good choice.

7. great, its only 53eur too!

8. I agree with the other posters a full length evening gown. The dress in the link you posted looks appropriate imo. If in doubt ask the mother of the bride for more info on the dress code.

9. I like that dress a lot

10. That dress is pretty. If it is a church wedding I would bring a shawl or jacket to wear during the ceremony to cover the shoulders and cleavage.

11. #12 Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    I disagree. Black-tie no longer means floor length unless the event is ultra-conservative. I suppose it depends on age too an/or where you live. I go to several Country Club Black Tie events each year and I don't see too many floor-length gowns anymore except for on the older ladies. For me, floor-length gowns remind me of prom...

12. True, but I personally would err on the side of caution for a country wedding. Full length is still absolutely suitable for black tie, it may not be 'on-trend' but that's not actually important or relevant to quite a lot of people. Suitability however should be on the top of the list for every guest invited to a wedding.

13. I totally agree. Where I live, wearing a floor length dress to a black tie wedding is considered a bit over the top unless one is the MOB or in the wedding party. I would ask family members to see what they say.

14. OP, I like the dress from Nordstrom's! It's reminiscent of a Marchesa gown that is absolutely gorgeous.

And I don't think black tie necessitates a floor length gown...I do think it depends on your age and the particular wedding that you will be attending. :smile: Good luck deciding.