What do I do with a ugly, gross fake? Burn it?!

hi everyone,

i've been a lurker up until now, but from what i've read, i feel like this is a great community and i would really appreciate whatever advice you guys could give me about my situation -

i was antiquing in cape cod and i found a chanel purse - granted i'm more of a balenciaga girl, i loved the way it looked and the leather felt really soft, i figured it might be lambskin. long story short, i was rushed by my friends and flustered and ended up buying it.

i went home and read up on authenticating chanels, and actually found the same purse in a larger size on an ebay auction from a trustworthy seller - after comparing it with mine, the hardware definitely looked like it was painted gold and not brass / gold metal, and the inside lining was wrong, as was the leather tag.

i called the antique store and they told me i should have known and that they are not responsible as the person who consigned the item already got paid, and there's nothing they can do about it -

do you guys think there's any action i could take or even what to do about the faux purse? just looking at it is making me sad :sad: granted i didn't pay a huge amount for it, i am a student and it's upsetting to have lose money in this way.

thanks so much in advance. :smile:
I don't know how much you paid. Anything the consignee got is peanuts compared to what you wound up paying. I will never step foot in one of these fraudulent shops again. As a consignor, I gave them some very high quality clothing. All plus size, excellent designers, etc. They don't tell you how much they will sell for or how much they did sell for. I got a check at the end of the season for something like $70 for a whole lot of stuff. I was miffed because they reallly didn't have a good record keeping system. They essentially get free merchanidise for their shop. The don't have to authenticate anything -- just sell as is. and then, they sell for very little and everyone loses except the buyer and shop owner. The buyer only doesn't lose if the products prove to be real. I'd rather give away to suit for success than "sell" to a consignment shop.
Sorry about your experience.
Judy

My first thought is to just burn it but I did pay $800 for it, and there is no way at all to get my money back, so what do I do? I definitely don't want to be carrying around a big fake but I don't feel like throwing money down the drain. Help?

No matter what you do it is going to feel like your money is going down the drain. It did. It is sad, but you will have to accept that.
  • If you keep it and use it you'll never be happy knowing that it is couterfeit.
  • If you keep it in your closet and don't use it then it takes up space and reminds you of the money you lost
  • If you throw it or away you'll feel like you are throwing your money away
  • If you donate it,you'll still feel like you are throwing your money away, but maybe someone needy will get some use out of it.
I would go with donating it, but somewhere where it would go to someone needy. I don't like the idea that a counterfeit will still be floating around, but I don't like the idea of adding a usuable bag to the landfill.

Sorry that this happened to you!

First, I am glad that you got your money back, its so scary to be in that position, that's why I think twice before looking at anything on ebay or any second hand even though the prices can be so tempting.

I think its better to give it to someone who'll use it instead of destroying it or thrown it in the bin, after all it is still a bag and people would still use it, donate it and never look back!

Speaking of fakes. A friend of mine uses a fake flap as a therapy! If she want to stop going to brand names boutiques and spend money, she wears that fake and she feels so ashamed to go near any of these stores lol which I think is a smart idea, it did save her a lot of money this month!

I don't know how much you paid. Anything the consignee got is peanuts compared to what you wound up paying. I will never step foot in one of these fraudulent shops again. As a consignor, I gave them some very high quality clothing. All plus size, excellent designers, etc. They don't tell you how much they will sell for or how much they did sell for. I got a check at the end of the season for something like $70 for a whole lot of stuff. I was miffed because they reallly didn't have a good record keeping system. They essentially get free merchanidise for their shop. The don't have to authenticate anything -- just sell as is. and then, they sell for very little and everyone loses except the buyer and shop owner. The buyer only doesn't lose if the products prove to be real. I'd rather give away to suit for success than "sell" to a consignment shop.
Sorry about your experience.
Judy

Yup be carful - If you give a consignment/dress agency your goods to sell,

agree on a price and that you will not accept less.

Also it's worth going in occasionally to check that the figure agreed is not way less than the price ticket suggests.

BTW ALL shop selling new and/or older merchandise must not sell fakes (counterfeit) by law (at least in Europe).

Don't ask is it genuine? waving the bag in the air.

Ask if it's a genuine CHANEL (or other designer)

If you're not sure its genuine and that you will not be happy if it is not and if the shop/store can't or won't say and commit their claim to witting

DON'T BUY

because it's the only way to get a refund or make a legal claim

We all learn from experience

ahhhh I feel your pain, nothing worse than having a gross fake in the house lol

Did you contact the awful seller, and advised you have attempted to send it back twice!, (in one way its great that the return wasnt possible, as they would only have tried to sell it on to another poor unsuspecting buyer :sad:)

We could have a sunday competition and find the most bizarre way to get rid of it.

Im thinking tying it to a bunch of helium balloons and seeing where it ends up :biggrin:
That sounds a very awesome idea!

I would mark it inside somewhere, plainly but discretely, and then give it to Goodwill or a charity or a church clothes closet. I know it is bad to carry fakes, but many women in shelters or recently released from jail can not afford even a Wal Mart orTarget handbag, so a nice looking bag would be very special to them and bolster their self-confidence.
You are right. The lady who can get it will be very happy. Just make "fake" inside the bag.

How about this .. I got a fake Louis Vuitton purse a while back and was very disappointed (it was a gift from someone) but I gave it to my niece - she was 3 or 4 at the time and just liked to stuff all her girlie toys into it to lug around. :smile: She loved that purse and thought she was just the coolest thing around. :lol:
I can imagine who sweet that is!