Food What did you cook on Xmas Day?

Sep 7, 2008
What food did you personally prepare/cook for Xmas?
I prepared quite a bit of seafood. I shelled 3 kg of locally caught king prawns, 16 Balmain bugs and 3 Western Australian lobsters. It was a beautiful sunny 26°C day here, so the seafood was a perfect starter. I made a lime, chili and basil mayo to go with it (there were also store bought sauces).
For meat, I cooked a free range organic pork roast which had a lovely crunchy crackling, and a free range chicken with macadamia and cranberry stuffing. I also made a seperate vegetarian herb stuffing using some dark rye bread. I roasted some carrots and royal blue spuds, steamed some home grown green beans, and it was served with a home-made vegetarian gravy.
That was my contribution to food for Xmas Day. What was yours?

The prep I did consisted of hitting the liquor store armed with several hundred dollars. For the first time in ages, I did not one stitch of cooking the whole holiday this year.

Your meal sounds awesome... we've had many like that. Nothing like a southern hemisphere Crimbo. lol

I roasted a ham from a local butcher shop, made scalloped potatoes, jello salad, homemade dinner rolls, slow-cooked baked beans and about 1200 different kinds of homemade cookies and candy! It was a very earthy, casual sort of meal with DH's family (as they will not touch seafood or anything unusual). For Christmas with my family, we grilled tenderloin steaks, boiled lobster, had boiled and herb-buttered potatoes and steamed cauliflower and carrots and 5 different kinds of olives on a relish tray.

I guess that was two different days, so that's kind of cheating, but one cannot necessarily celebrate and see everyone on one day! I love to hear about the many different and wonderful foods that different families have!

We started off Christmas day with brunch consisting of a Trinidadian delicacy called souse. We usually have Caribbean bread as well as slices of ham. Since my DH detests souse (he doesn't like the consistency of pig's feet), I also made some waffles, sausage, and bacon.

For Christmas dinner, I had an array of different dishes that I always wanted our families to try...curry chicken with basmati rice, beef short ribs, creamy mashed potatoes, lamb chops, sautéed kale, lobster stuffed chicken, and a side salad.

We had lamb chops & my uncle handled the turkey. My mother made a nice heirloom tomatoe salad with boccocini, garlic pesto alioli & balsamic vinegar. Rest was just the usual - cooked carrots, mashed potatoes.

All homemade from scratch:

Breakfast:
-Omelets
-Sausages
-Choice of carbs
-Sticky buns

Dinner:
-Crab salad
-Spinach dip with French bread
-Lumpia with sweet and spicy dipping sauce
-Cheese and herb biscuits
-BBQ chicken
-Lemongrass pork ribs
-Roasted potatoes
-Green beans
-Brussle sprouts
-Chocolate chip cookies
-Peanut brittle
-Fruit display
-Pumpkin pie
-Margaritas
-Spiked eggnog

I think some may have misread the topic, which is what food you personally prepared/cooked for Xmas.

We started off Christmas day with brunch consisting of a Trinidadian delicacy called souse. We usually have Caribbean bread as well as slices of ham. Since my DH detests souse (he doesn't like the consistency of pig's feet), I also made some waffles, sausage, and bacon.

For Christmas dinner, I had an array of different dishes that I always wanted our families to try...curry chicken with basmati rice, beef short ribs, creamy mashed potatoes, lamb chops, sautéed kale, lobster stuffed chicken, and a side salad.

Some yummy things you cooked there. It sounds like you were kept busy.

we had our big family meal on christmas eve this year. for that I made sweet potato casserole & brownie trifle with peppermint bark. I also brought the cocktails (egg nog, chocolate/peppermint martinis, amarula). my SIL bought a honeybaked ham & rolls & made scalloped potatoes, caesar salad, candied carrots, & cookies. my mom made a broccoli casserole.

for christmas breakfast I made cheese grits & brought mimosas. my SIL made a sausage egg bake & blueberry muffins. my mom brought fresh fruit.

for christmas dinner I made marinated green beans & recycled the leftover brownie trifle.:P my mom made beef tenderloin, roasted potatoes, a salad, & bought potato rolls.

My family (parents and brother) didn't have a sit down meal this year. I made pulled pork and crostini- tomato/basil/onion and w/ fresh mozzarella, along w/ ricotta, pear, honey, and walnuts for the other option.

My mom made meatballs and spinach dip, along w/ potato skins. We just ate whenever we were hungry.

It's interesting for me to see what others have for Christmas meals. In Canada, generally, the traditional Xmas meal is the same as the traditional Thanksgiving meal (turkey, cranberries, stuffing, pumpkin pie, etc.). Of course in places such as the far north and the Maritimes I suspect the traditional meals are quite different.

We usually do prime rib and lobster...but 2 years in a row now we went with something else. Last year we did big Italian feast (at the request of my FIL): spaghetti, Lasagna, sausage, meatballs, salad and garlic bread...this year...

AM:
homemade chocolate croissants
homemade donut muffins
fresh fruit

Nibbles:
brie en croute (homemade)
shrimp dip
crudities

Dinner:
Ham
Lamb
Lamb gravy