What designers are keeping up their quality?

ryrysmom

Feb 27, 2008
I have been reading in quite a few of the designer handbag sub-forums that people are noticing that the quality of bags are decreasing while prices are increasing. Though I can accept the increasing prices, the decrease in quality, workmanship, and cs disappoints me. Are there any premier designers that you believe have kept up their workmanship and cs? On the other hand, which are headed downhill? Please chime in. Thanks!

I'm like/buy many different designers; however, I've been disappointed with both Coach and Balenciaga in recent months. I still love Bottega Veneta. I'm new to Celine, so I can't comment re: their quality.

Great question!

In the last year I have bought/received

Gucci amazing leather/skins and impressive hardware (better than most brands' jewellery). I am very, very happy.

BV (exotic) compared to older leather (I dont have older exotic) better than ever.

Sammy (Ethiopia) I can't compare because it's a relatively new brand (I believe). Handmade, softest leather and quirky, beautifully hand-finished.

Hermes (large wallet) excellently made and designed and also practical although not really up to my vintage (1950s) Mademoiselle with fine kid-leather interior and hardware as gorgeous as jewellery.

I have checked out Paul Smith for BF - their products go up and down in quality all the time (no surprise as they change their manufacturers constantly) last year up this year back down again. Chanel I'm too used to vintage, can't pull the trigger anymore, however I haven't given up hope. Checked out Celine more impressed last year.

I think it depends on the products you buy from the brands. With coach there leather bags in my opinion are awesome. Lvs Monogram canvas definitely went down in quality they are much thinner and cracks easier.

I have been reading in quite a few of the designer handbag sub-forums that people are noticing that the quality of bags are decreasing while prices are increasing. Though I can accept the increasing prices, the decrease in quality, workmanship, and cs disappoints me. Are there any premier designers that you believe have kept up their workmanship and cs? On the other hand, which are headed downhill? Please chime in. Thanks!

What is "cs"?

As for high-end designer bags, I've never had a Vuitton bag, suitcase, or carry-on fall apart and I have bought them regularly since 1980. Also, my Chloes have held up very nicely and I love Yves St.Laurent. Chanel has held up very well, but I first bought back in the 80s and also now own vintage. I'm not keen on the new bags and the ridiculous prices.

Then there are plenty of lower-priced bags that have held up perfectly well and without the designer prices.

I am also really interested to hear what people have to say about this. The only thing I've recently purchased is a Le Pliage and so far that bag seems to maintain it's reputation for excellent quality. However, I did think it a little annoying that they made the large bag smaller, yet charged the same price as what it was when it was larger. I guess they're trying to cut back on materials, but at least they didn't cut back on quality. They do have a significant amount of their bags made in China now, when previously they were all made in France. Some say the China made bags are not as good quality, but some say they're the same.
I'm really interested to hear what Balenciaga is up to. I was seriously considering purchasing one of their bags, but I heard that the leather quality is seriously lacking in this new season's bags so I decided to wait. I don't usually spend that much money on a bag. $500 has always been the cut-off for me, so if I'm going to go beyond that, it better be freaking spectacular!
I did get a good look at some DB bags the other day and I was very impressed. They seem to have really stepped up their game.

I think in LV the canvas got thinner, but their other lines have stayed consistent, i.e. the vernis leather. my alma is very nicely made.

coach has gone down dramatically.
MJ I'm back and forth with
TB, its hard because she has such cute stuff, but there are always defects and I don't appreciate that

The word I heard from LV was that the canvas was purposely made thinner so the bags would be more pliable... I was wondering if the vachetta was getting thinner. It does seem like there is less of it on the new bags.