What designer has the most overpriced handbags?

I'll start: While I love some of their bags, I think Hayden Harnett and Be&D bags are way overpriced for what you get. I will purchase on sale, but not at full price. For what they are charging for some of their bags, you can go to Balenciaga or YSL and get a high end bag.
I also think Coach has lost their mind on their pricing strategy...if you're going to pay $700+ for Coach, you are in a whole different realm of bags.
Who do YOU think is overpriced?

Honestly, I think LV is way overpriced. I know they're classic & it's a statement, but the bags aren't even made of leather (sure they have leather trim), but it's basically coated fabric (I know I'm gonna get yelled at here!). And yes, some of the bags are Ltd Ed (Cherry Blossom comes to mind), but I still can't see paying over $1200 for something that's not all leather.

I think when it comes to some designers, you're paying more for the name and the privilege of carrying it than the make of the bag.

Even Chanel - I think some of their bags are way overpriced.

Can I add another question into the mix - what constitutes a high-end bag? Maybe I should start another thread, let me know. Really curious, though. I'll provide the first answer: High-end = quality, all the way around, in materials, manufacture, and style. I have to have those three things to pay any amount of money for a handbag. Granted, style is individually defined, very personal, but you get what I mean.

Anything over $600 is overpriced. I could buy a cow and have its hide tanned for that, and probably find the artisan to make exactly what I want out of that tanned hide with the money leftover.

I don't need the 'name'. Ever. When I've purchased a name bag, it's been because that name got it right and I was pleased. The name just happened to have created it.

I supposed I'll be kicked out of tPF now.:nuts:

I think that it depends on the exact bag. I can name a number of bags from different designers that I may like, but I think are overpriced. Others, not as much.

Just in general, Prada comes to mind. The nylon bags in particular. $500 for a nylon messanger bag is rather absurd.

I agree with indiaink. I just feel anything over $500 is just ridiculously overpriced for a bag. Quality is important of course, but spending that much just for a name is a bit atrocious.

Coach. I've gotten to the point where pretty much the only Coach I'll buy is Scribble. I really don't care, because the only lines I like are Scribble and Watercolor.

It's like, it's too expensive and too disappointing. Better stick to the tried and true Scribble. :biggrin:

Prices are determined in the long run by what people are willing to pay. If no one would be willing to pay more than $500 for a hangbag, all of the designers that charge more for their handbags (Hermes, Balenciaga, Chloe etc...) would be broke by now.

I think everyone should be abe to decide for themselves what they are willing to spend on a handbag.

I mean we are not taking apart a BMW and a Toyota and are comparing the parts to establish if BMW is overpriced :yes:

I think a lot of bags are over priced and some may be worth it. I own Coach, LV, Kate Spade, Cole Haan, Marc Jacobs and MbyMJ. I consider style and whether I will be able to carry it for a long time. I spend less on trendy bags. I too sometimes feel like we pay for who's name is on the label. Coach see's others and says oh I too can get that much money. I don't think the quality has got any better but the price has gone up. I think I could find a flaw on any purse if I really tried. I think I have a few that have none. (My LV and MJ) I buy a purse because I like it not what name is on it....with that said I haven't bought a no name bag in years.

Can I add another question into the mix - what constitutes a high-end bag? Maybe I should start another thread, let me know. Really curious, though. I'll provide the first answer: High-end = quality, all the way around, in materials, manufacture, and style. I have to have those three things to pay any amount of money for a handbag. Granted, style is individually defined, very personal, but you get what I mean.

Anything over $600 is overpriced. I could buy a cow and have its hide tanned for that, and probably find the artisan to make exactly what I want out of that tanned hide with the money leftover.

I don't need the 'name'. Ever. When I've purchased a name bag, it's been because that name got it right and I was pleased. The name just happened to have created it.

I supposed I'll be kicked out of tPF now.:nuts:

Great post!

I don't know - if a bag is hand-stitched (versus a machine), the leather is of a good quality (i.e., Balenciaga, Gryson leathers), and great attention is paid to the details (i.e., hardware, lining, etc) then I don't think >$600 is overpriced.

Gryson makes gorgeous bags that retail for $500-900, and I think they're way better than most Coach bags in that price range. The designs are unique, leather exterior and linings are exquisite. The stitching & hardware are well made and functionable. I think the asking price for these bags are well within reason.

Here's a perfect example - do you think one, both or neither of these bags is overpriced?

Attachments

• value.jpg
    value.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 520
I think both are overpriced and I prefer the Gryson. I even love the Coach bag but I prefer the small one.

I don't know - if a bag is hand-stitched (versus a machine), the leather is of a good quality (i.e., Balenciaga, Gryson leathers), and great attention is paid to the details (i.e., hardware, lining, etc) then I don't think >$600 is overpriced.

Gryson makes gorgeous bags that retail for $500-900, and I think they're way better than most Coach bags in that price range. The designs are unique, leather exterior and linings are exquisite. The stitching & hardware are well made and functionable. I think the asking price for these bags are well within reason.

Here's a perfect example - do you think one, both or neither of these bags is overpriced?