What designer has the most overpriced handbags?

I know I'm going to get my butt kicked, but here goes: I just do not understand the intrigue of an LV. I think the brown is just hideous, I haven't liked things with their names stamped all over them since junior high, and even when they "branch out" and use different colors and cherries, etc, it always reminds me of a 4 year old's art project. That said, I also agree that Prada is ridiculous...nylon for god's sake? And Hermes...when I saw their beach bags for over $800, I nearly lost my mind. Who actually pays that for something that looks like you can get it at Target???? (A great store, by the way!)

I agree with you, I'm not a big fan of the mongram canvas either. It always reminded me a deck of cards. That being said, I do own the Trouville because I like the shape of the bag. That Trouville is still the most I have paid. This weekend, I pondered the Jimmy Choo Riki, and I just had to stop myself, $1600 for a bag??

Speaking of spendy handbags, I wonder why Hermes are so expensive? Could it be the special ordering prices, or the fact that they use exotic materials for some bags? I do find them beautiful, especially the classic Kelly, but wonder if they are truly worth the price? I doubt I'll be seeing one any time soon.

Unfortunately, prices for everything is on the rise (one look at recent gas prices is a perfect example of the sign of our times!).

Yes, but there are logical reasons for the gas/petrol price increases.

What's the designers' excuse for the prices exceeding inflation by sooooo much? :shrugs:

I hadn't heard that there was a shortage of cows!

Of course, higher fuel prices will have a knock-on effect, because most items have to be transported, but that will have a very minor impact on the cost of a $1,500 + bag.

At the end of the day, they're taking advantage, because they believe that people are willing to pay way over the odds.

If we all stopped buying (or even just cut down), they would soon get the message that they've gone too far.

I totally agree. When we start saying that for whatever price you could have had a ____ (insert high-end designer bag name here), we acknowledge that the only thing that matters is the name. I think that's pretty sad. There are a LOT of bags out there with great materials and craftsmanship and great sales that many people won't even glance at because they aren't a certain name. And that is part of what leads to ridiculously overpriced bags.

:yes:

I agree with indiaink. I just feel anything over $500 is just ridiculously overpriced for a bag. Quality is important of course, but spending that much just for a name is a bit atrocious.

For me, for a largish (18" wide), plain, unseamed front and back, high quality leather hobo, with a cotton lining, anything over £600/approx. $1,200 is overpriced.

I know, roughly, how much it costs to have a bag hand made in France or Italy and I expect to have to pay a premium for the designer's input and all the other expenses involved in running a RTW designer business - but they've just gone too far, IMO.

In the case of Chloe, a bag that cost £605/approx. $1,200, just 3 and a half years ago, would now costs at least £1,200/approx. $2,400; not that you can even find the same, high quality bag, anymore. :sad:

Example:

My Chloe Tiger Hobo retailed at £605 (approx. $1,200) in A/W '03 - '04.

This season, they have brought out an identically sized and similarly shaped hobo, which I love, except, this new one has a seam in the middle and a rope strap, instead of unseamed leather and instead of appliqué, beautifully highlighted with subtly different coloured silk thread, it just has fairly basic chain detailing around the edge.

IMO, allowing (generously) for inflation, this bag should cost about the same as my Tiger did, at the most and yet it is retailing at £1,075 (approx. $2,150); despite being inferior.

It's a shame, because I'd love to buy it, but I simply won't pay that much more for an inferior product.

You can see how much the designers are price-gouging (sp??) consumers by how much these bags CAN be marked down, still netting a hefty profit I'll bet. My son always says he's going to make a plastic purse and sell it for thousands! That said, I do think LV bags are indesctructable.

Pleather?
:sick:

Yup. SM doesn't use leather or any other products that would come from an animal, so a lot of her bags are made of a leather-like material, which some refer to as "pleather" (plastic-leather).

I agree there - forgot about SM bags. I think the general idea is a good one, but I wouldn't expect to pay as much (or more in most cases) for a bag that wasn't made from leather.

On that subject - look at those transparent bags that are currently selling for over $1K. Absolutely ridiculous! ($1500+ for the Fendi? $1200+ for Prada? $900 for Chanel?) WAAYYYYYY OVERPRICED!!!

Attachments

• clear bags.jpg
    clear bags.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 185
To be serious I would say in my opinion

Irrespective of the Designer the so called Icon or It Bag of the season
Tods -
Anya Hindmarch - Quality and Finish leaves alot to be desired.
Stella McCartney - Overpriced for non-leather bags finish is so/so
Pucci
Marc Jacobs
Mulberry - Love their bags and the leather, craftsmanship etc, but would be nice to be paying that price for a lining also.

Hermes Birkins - Sorry to the H ladies but I really cannot see the point of paying upwards of £3k for something that looks like a briefcase is so stiff, and you have to fumble and rummage to get to what you want because it "loads" from the bottom up and nothing really moves around.

I think it depends on the bag, some bags are more worth their price tag than others. One bag which definitely isn't worth its retail value is the LV patchwork one.

Mulberry - Love their bags and the leather, craftsmanship etc, but would be nice to be paying that price for a lining also.

Hermes Birkins - Sorry to the H ladies but I really cannot see the point of paying upwards of £3k for something that looks like a briefcase is so stiff, and you have to fumble and rummage to get to what you want because it "loads" from the bottom up and nothing really moves around.

My Mulberry Belgrave has a lining...but I paid a lot more for that style than some other styles.

I agree about the Hermes. Their bags look unusable and impractical for my life. I've not seen one single Hermes that I would want to carry, just because they seem like too much effort. I could have someone custom-design me a bag and hand-stitch it for less than the cost of their cheapest one...with no waiting list.

That said, I do like a better quality bag and I am willing to pay for it. I have a higher-end leather Coach that I paid $695 for, and a Gucci Guccissima Wave Boston that cost more than double that. The Coach is a better quality bag, hands down, which is a bit of a disappointment, considering the Gucci cost so much more.

As for Stella McCartney, I actually appreciate the cruelty-free concept behind her designs and just wish she would do a men's line. (DH is vegan and can't find a wallet anywhere that doesn't look like something from a hippie hemp factory.) I would be surprised, however, if SM's pleather bags were hand-stitched and made to a standard that actually deserves the price tag.

I guess a designer is only overpriced when they reach a point where they are unable to sell their stuff. So long as there is someone willing to pay it, nay, even wait for years for the privilege, then, viva capitalism!!

I have a lot of nice handbags that I've gotten in the past 6 months-but truthfully, I have not paid full price for even one of them! I wait until they go on sale or I won't buy them. If they are willing to sell a Chloe that was $1600 for $660-you know that they are WA-A-ay over priced to begin with. I could NEVER pay full price for any of these bags-you just know that they'll go on sale, or someone will offer a discount eventually...so to me it's all about timing. I don't "Have to Have" any bag immediately.:okay: