What designer handbag do you carry to a sporting event?

devoted7

O.G.
Jan 6, 2006
I’m a huge sports fan, so when it comes to professional baseball, football, hockey, etc...I usually end up buying season tickets. My question is...what handbag do you carry to a sporting event? Or do you take/bring/wear your designer handbag to a sporting event at all? Do you think it is appropriate to wear your designer? Is it too much depending on the handbag? I never thought about it, but I have notice that at hockey games, many women are dressed up and have their nice handbags at a hockey game. And as for football and baseball, its very rare to see someone dressed up and I don’t think I have ever seen a high end designer handbag wore to any of these games before. I mean I probably have, but its not as popular as hockey games. I mean I will see people in sports attire wearing their Coach or LV’s (majority are sadly fake), but never seen anyone with a Chanel, Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, etc...

Now it is baseball season...and I’m going to the Cardinals vs Cubs game this Saturday. I am thinking about wearing my jersey and perhaps wearing my Balenciaga City! (Sounds like a funky combination, but I tried on the outfit and it looks sooo stylish) LOL. I’m kind of afraid my city will get dirty, but I highly doubt it. I’m a huge freak when it comes to my handbags. LOL. I know I will keep her on me at all times and I don’t usually eat at the ballpark, but will once in a while have a drink. I have never carried a handbag to any professional sporting events before, execpt when I owned Coach purses once upon a time ago. I always carried some kind of wristlet/clutch.

Soooo would you wear your designer handbag to a professional sporting event? If you ever have or would...please share your thoughts and experiences! Also, if you ever wore any of your handbags to a sports event, please indicate what handbag. Thank you! ;)

I actually bought an Ignes cross-body bag for sporting events. I do not baby my bags, but I think it is too much to ask of a piece of leather to be exposed to sun, then rain, then oily popcorn fingers, then spilled beer. I would not use any of my high-end designer items at a game, no matter what others are doing - I want to relax and have fun, not worry about the drunk guy near my BV. Also, given the amount of getting up at games to cheer or boo, anything that is not attached to me makes me uncomfortable (it only takes a second for someone to grab your bag, with your credit cards and money and run away). With a cross-body, my bag is always on my person and it does not interfere with me being a loyal fan.

devoted7, I certainly wouldn't carry a bag that I would freak out over getting dirty, scuffed or whatever to a sporting event. When my Phils are playing, I want to concentrate on the action on the field, not on my bag! Further, I think that function is most important in this case. I need my hand free to throw my hands in the air when one the boys makes a great play. So, no matter how cool the outfit looks, you will come off as extremely uncool if you can't participate in the joy or sorrow because you are looking after your bag, or worse, if you freak out because something happens to your bag. If you could just blow it off if something happened, then go for it!

Usually a much less expensive bag than most of my others. Other times I carry my very first Kooba ever purchased - a Chestnut Carla - She's my workhorse. I stuff her full and bang her around and she still looks and smells great. She's been to more concerts than I can count.

oh wow, good point on all! now i'm having second thoughts! it is true that when you get up and cheer or shout for your team, you don't want to worry about anything. thanks to you PFers...I think I am now on a hunt for a cross body handbag! LOL.

I actually bought an Ignes cross-body bag for sporting events. I do not baby my bags, but I think it is too much to ask of a piece of leather to be exposed to sun, then rain, then oily popcorn fingers, then spilled beer. I would not use any of my high-end designer items at a game, no matter what others are doing - I want to relax and have fun, not worry about the drunk guy near my BV. Also, given the amount of getting up at games to cheer or boo, anything that is not attached to me makes me uncomfortable (it only takes a second for someone to grab your bag, with your credit cards and money and run away). With a cross-body, my bag is always on my person and it does not interfere with me being a loyal fan.

I agree completely! These are the events that Longchamp and messenger bags were made for, IMO. I couldn't enjoy the event if I was :sweatdrop: about my bag the whole time. And I'd hate to have to :bagslap: someone who was just "enjoying the game" :nuts: and spilled popcorn or bear on one of my lovelies. :faint:

I mean just imagine what's on the sticky, :sick:filthy floor in the average arena. :throwup: Would you want to set a bag down ontop of it? :shocked:

OK, I think that's quite enough icons for one post. :smile:

I'm a baseball fan so I totally get this concern. I usually bring my designated 'spill all the beer you want on it' bag. But most of the time I try not to carry a bag at all and just shove my essentials in the bf's pockets. You don't need much at a game anyways.

I'm a baseball fan so I totally get this concern. I usually bring my designated 'spill all the beer you want on it' bag. But most of the time I try not to carry a bag at all and just shove my essentials in the bf's pockets. You don't need much at a game anyways.

LOL! Yes I totally agree! I don't carry a handbag just a wallet shoved in my pocket.

I hate bringing a bag when I go to basketball games. There's just way too much of me standing and shouting and getting all revved up. I usually try to bring a minimal bag or coin purse if I bring one at all. Before the season ended, I was mostly just stuffing stuff into my LV cles and stuffing that in my pocket. :biggrin:

I definitely agree with the suggestions for a crossbody bag that you don't have to worry about! I personally can't go bag-free even to a sporting event, but a smaller crossbody bag is definitely doable. You won't have to worry as much about losing track of it or having it stolen, nor about having to put it on the floor either. And if you anticipate frequently standing up to cheer or otherwise getting revved up, a crossbody definitely seems ideal!

Now, for sporting events where standing up isn't as common, e.g. tennis matches, or even just an event where you're not a madly passionate fan ;), it may be possible to break out a smaller shoulder bag for a bit more style. I'd definitely still go with one that I don't need to worry about as much, though, but if I'm primarily a spectator sitting down, I wouldn't mind continuously holding on to a shoulder bag or having it in my lap.

The last sporting event I attended was the Italian Open tennis tournament in Italy last year. I forget which bag I carried but definitely wished I had brought my Prada cross-body Messenger. I particularly missed it when I went to buy hot dogs!

i have several dooney and bourke letter carriers - the ones with the pocket on the front - that i use for times like that.

4d61_1.JPG

I agree about a crossbody. You can be up and down and don't ever have to set it somewhere. I have a black Fendi zucca bag the I use for sports and amusement park trips, and it usually looks better at the end of the day than I do.

I have a small Burberry suede with a single handle from 2005 that I can put on my shoulder and tuck under my arm really easily. Plus, it's so small, when I sit in a seat, I can simply put it behind my back almost like I'm sitting on it. That way, it doesn't hit the ground and someone would almost have to move my body to get to it.