What Color Trench - Trench, Honey, Black?

Kleio

Mar 30, 2011
I'm considering (finally!) getting a Burberry trench, as it's such a classic item. The trench I'm currently considering comes in 3 colors, trench, honey, and black. I was wondering what color you ladies think I should get?

I'm Chinese, but from the Southern China/Hong Kong end, so I'd say my coloring is light but with a hint of tan? I like to think "golden". :P

I've lately been having a reaction against the color black, as it seems my entire wardrobe veers toward the (very) dark end of the spectrum so I'm trying to inject some color back into it. Also, I'm purchasing the trench coat for rainy days, which are far from being my favorite kind of day (I'm a sun gal all the way - the brighter, the better) and I feel like black would just make me feel even more down on an already down day. However, the color trench looks like it would wash me out, and honey seems warmer, but perhaps a little too brown/dark? Should I just go with black as it goes with everything? Decisions, decisions!

That's a tough question. I have a black trench, but I think I would go for the trench color one if I could. Although black is versatile, it's always nice to have a lighter color on a rainy day. Good luck with your decision!

ACS, thanks for your opinion! I too find myself leaning towards trench, if only because I feel like it's probably the most classic color for a trench (if the color name didn't give it away ...). Like I said, I'm just afraid that the light color will wash me out, but I worry that honey is just a passing fad (for me), and I want something brighter than black on a rainy day.

Well, I"m asian and have dark skin. I got a few black trenches, but the trench color trench is just such a classic. I still vote for the trench color! :smile:

Does any tpfer's have opinions or suggestions?:idea:

I'm bumping this thread because I'm about to buy a classic Buckingham trench by Burberry and I can't decide between trench and honey. I've tried on both but can't decide. For reference I have very dark brown hair and eyes and very pale olive skin.

^^Thanks ladies. Black wasn't an option for me, but how about honey? The SA thought the trench colour washed me out and preferred the honey on me but I'm just worried I might get sick of it.

My dear, I will try to give you my feedback on your options:

First off, congrats for finally deciding on purchasing your first new Burberry Trench Coat. It will last for ages!~
- Trench: A terrible combination with your skin tone. It does and it will drain colour from your face, as I've seen happen to 80% of the asian clients that step into our store. It also creates the illusion that you've gained some weight (in the facial area as it's not providing contrast to your skin tone but rather highlighting on the certain areas of your face).
- Honey: A better option and somewhat of a better colour for you. If it's the same colour you're suggesting, it's a great colour but you somewhat need to colour coordinate everything to match with the Honey (or compliment it).
- Black: A classic colour and should be a staple item in your closet. A lot of my Asian clients choose black for Trenches because it does not drain colour from your skin tone. As with the colour choice, it's a good option because you're able to coordinate anything with this specific colour. It's very flattering on and creates the illusion that you're slimmer - the black hides everything. ;)

I'm the only person voting for the Black Trench.....

I have a trench color burberry raincoat/jacket top. The first time I wore it, a guy sitting next to me dropped his wine glass and spilled red wine on it! I had such a hard time removing the stains and it was at that moment I wished I had bought the jacket in black or navy color. So yes trench is a beautiful color but any stains or dirt will be very noticeable.

My dear, I will try to give you my feedback on your options:

First off, congrats for finally deciding on purchasing your first new Burberry Trench Coat. It will last for ages!~
- Trench: A terrible combination with your skin tone. It does and it will drain colour from your face, as I've seen happen to 80% of the asian clients that step into our store. It also creates the illusion that you've gained some weight (in the facial area as it's not providing contrast to your skin tone but rather highlighting on the certain areas of your face).
- Honey: A better option and somewhat of a better colour for you. If it's the same colour you're suggesting, it's a great colour but you somewhat need to colour coordinate everything to match with the Honey (or compliment it).
- Black: A classic colour and should be a staple item in your closet. A lot of my Asian clients choose black for Trenches because it does not drain colour from your skin tone. As with the colour choice, it's a good option because you're able to coordinate anything with this specific colour. It's very flattering on and creates the illusion that you're slimmer - the black hides everything. ;)

I'm the only person voting for the Black Trench.....
Thank you very much for this! I also have pale-ish Asian colouring and contemplating between these three colours, so this is super helpful.

One question - has anyone noticed any colour transfer from the black trenches onto light-coloured bags? I just got a gorgeous coral pink PS1, and noticed some really bad colour transfer from my current (non-designer) black jacket. Can I be certain that a Burberry trench won't do this, or will I be better off with a lighter trench colour?

I just bought mine yesterday in black. the mottram trench and I love it. I was at the boutique it was for $1095. Being very excited with my first purchase of trench Burberry I was looking on it online and found Neiman and Saks carrying the Mottram for $100 less. So I cancelled my original order and went for Neiman instead. If it doesn't turn out the same I will go back to the boutique as it will always be there because it's a classic piece. I am asian too, and tried on trench and black color, SA preferred black as I do too. BTW mottram fits my ht perfectly, not too long and not too short I'm 5'4.