What color should I dye my bag?

Jun 18, 2012
I have an ivory single flap jumbo that just isn’t working for me. I never reach for it because the color isn’t one I want or need to wear often. 0FCDFD02-C325-44B8-ABB8-9BBEA2E1225C.jpegI thought about selling it but I greatly prefer single flap jumbos over double flap, I adore this bijoux chain and I don’t really want the hassle of selling or to take a loss on the bag. The only issue I have with this bag is the color.

So, I’ve decided to dye it.

I was originally thinking pink. But, I have three pink bags - a hot pink Dior, salmon pink Prada and a pale pink Fendi. In a collection of 26 bags - of which 7 are black - do I need a 4th pink?:whut: Last year I wore my pink bags a total of 13 times. (I track what I wear every day) So, probably not.

The two other colors I very much want to add to my collection are bordeaux and navy. I don’t see this bag looking good in bordeaux. I think I’d like a more structured bag for that color like a smallish H Kelly. And, I have a red Chanel jumbo. So, nix the burgundy.

Where I think I’m going to land is a rich navy similar to this color. Even better if I can get a similar light metallic sheen. :woot:(Photo not mine. Sourced from google.)CED93D5B-45F2-4D87-9D77-854309B6A1E7.jpeg
The only question on navy for me is around the interior which is a light caramel color. A98D9EA7-D7FD-42EF-9548-89B2D799F5EE.jpeg It makes a nice contrast with the ivory. But, would it be too much contrast with the navy? Perhaps not since many black Chanel bags have red lining. And, my three Miss Diors have a leather lining in a beautiful color that contrasts with the exterior.

With the dying, I worry a teeny bit about someone thinking the bag is fake since it will be a model that didn’t originally come in that color. But, I can’t let that stop me from getting the right color for me.

I’m open into any and all thoughts. The only thing off the table is keeping it ivory. I know this color works for many but I’ve owned this bag for years now. The color isn’t working for me.

I have no suggestions for dye, just came here to say that your bag is GORGEOUS!

I am cringing about the idea of this gorgeous bag being dyed!!! :wtf: Whatever color you pick, I hope it turns out beautiful and that you enjoy it.
I told Mr. Sparkle that the overwhelming feedback was going to be keep the bag ivory. :lol:

But, I can’t do it. It doesn’t work for me even a little bit. So, please all...help me decide on a new color. :biggrin:

I think the navy and caramel would look good together. I don’t know anything about dying bags though - Is there a risk it would get streaky? With the dark on light?

The other color I thought would look nice is a light to mid gray. Or make the whole thing caramel.

I love the navy with the caramel. The color combo gives me yacht vibes. I hope you are taking that gorgeous bag somewhere to have it professionally dyed. It is probably the safest bet to getting an even color. I will NOT encourage you to keep it ivory bc I hate white bags (just my personal preference- no hate on others taste)!

I have an ivory single flap jumbo that just isn’t working for me. I never reach for it because the color isn’t one I want or need to wear often. View attachment 4317766I thought about selling it but I greatly prefer single flap jumbos over double flap, I adore this bijoux chain and I don’t really want the hassle of selling or to take a loss on the bag. The only issue I have with this bag is the color.

So, I’ve decided to dye it.

I was originally thinking pink. But, I have three pink bags - a hot pink Dior, salmon pink Prada and a pale pink Fendi. In a collection of 26 bags - of which 7 are black - do I need a 4th pink?:whut: Last year I wore my pink bags a total of 13 times. (I track what I wear every day) So, probably not.

The two other colors I very much want to add to my collection are bordeaux and navy. I don’t see this bag looking good in bordeaux. I think I’d like a more structured bag for that color like a smallish H Kelly. And, I have a red Chanel jumbo. So, nix the burgundy.

Where I think I’m going to land is a rich navy similar to this color. Even better if I can get a similar light metallic sheen. :woot:(Photo not mine. Sourced from google.)View attachment 4317768
The only question on navy for me is around the interior which is a light caramel color. View attachment 4317767 It makes a nice contrast with the ivory. But, would it be too much contrast with the navy? Perhaps not since many black Chanel bags have red lining. And, my three Miss Diors have a leather lining in a beautiful color that contrasts with the exterior.

With the dying, I worry a teeny bit about someone thinking the bag is fake since it will be a model that didn’t originally come in that color. But, I can’t let that stop me from getting the right color for me.

I’m open into any and all thoughts. The only thing off the table is keeping it ivory. I know this color works for many but I’ve owned this bag for years now. The color isn’t working for me.

If you decide to dye the bag, it’ll have to stay with you forever. I know you can’t take the even bigger loss that may come if you decide to sell it. And if it’ll have to stay with you forever, why care if people think it’s fake?

Be warned that the outcome may not be as you anticipate. Dying bag can be tricky. I’ve experienced first hand before so...

In my book, I’d prefer you to keep it and use it as it is. But if you can’t stand to have it as it is anymore, find a new home for it.

Hey Sparkle, how are you? I don’t advocate keeping the white flap either as it sparks no joy in this color. I’m sure Leather Surgeons will do a professional job. However, the dyed leather may be stiffer and not as soft as before. Would you be ok with that? And secondly, I think the resale value will drop a lot. For what it’s worth I think the beige interior will be gorgeous with bordeaux or navy.

Go with the navy! The navy/ caramel will be a great combo. Agree with others, who cares if others think it’s fake. You know it’s not. I have no experience dying bags and actually do like ivory or white bags. I hope this works out .

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I think the navy and caramel would look good together. I don’t know anything about dying bags though - Is there a risk it would get streaky? With the dark on light?

The other color I thought would look nice is a light to mid gray. Or make the whole thing caramel.
I’ve had four Chanels dyed to their original color (either complete dye jobs or edge touch ups) and had no problems. I’ve just never changed the color completely which freaks me out a bit. Lol!

I have 2 grey Chanels so, I can’t do grey. But, obviously I love grey bags. :biggrin:

Hmmmm..caramel. Now why didn’t I think of that. The color is gorgeous. I have to think about whether that would work better for me. :thinking: Thanks for the suggestion!
I love the navy with the caramel. The color combo gives me yacht vibes. I hope you are taking that gorgeous bag somewhere to have it professionally dyed. It is probably the safest bet to getting an even color. I will NOT encourage you to keep it ivory bc I hate white bags (just my personal preference- no hate on others taste)!
Are you doing it yourself?
OMG! I’d never try this myself. Lol!!! I have emails out to Leather Surgeons, Leather Pros and Lovemybags for quotes. I’ve used LS & LP before not LMB. I’m leaning towards LP because they really do stunning work and don’t charge as much as LS.
The only suggestion I have is a color that goes well with the color of the thread. A lot of places dye the leather but can't do anything for the stitches so if the colors don't go well together it just kind of... is stuck like that.
Oh wow! :shocked: I didn’t know this. Thanks for the caution! I’ll be sure to ask about that.
Hey Sparkle, how are you? I don’t advocate keeping the white flap either as it sparks no joy in this color. I’m sure Leather Surgeons will do a professional job. However, the dyed leather may be stiffer and not as soft as before. Would you be ok with that? And secondly, I think the resale value will drop a lot. For what it’s worth I think the beige interior will be gorgeous with bordeaux or navy.
Sora! I miss you! How is everything after the big move?
I’d actually be happier if it were stiffer. Lol! This is my only soft flap and it’s a little softer than I’d like. When I sent the emails, I asked them if there was any way to put in a bit more structure without completely killing that it was meant to be a soft flap.
Go with the navy! The navy/ caramel will be a great combo. Agree with others, who cares if others think it’s fake. You know it’s not. I have no experience dying bags and actually do like ivory or white bags. I hope this works out .
I’m seriously leaning toward the navy. I think it could be a cute neutral with jeans and also work well with grey, white and many colors.

I think would be happy with it if it were white v. ivory. I tend to wear black, white, grey and saturated colors. The ivory isn’t a great match for that palette. I think the ivory would look better if I wore more earth tones or pastels (which I very rarely do.)

Honestly, this bag photographs really well. When I look at the picture I think it looks great. In person it just looks a little tired which is bothering me too. :-s