What color of trench jacket should I get?

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Hi everyone!

A cropped trench coat/jacket has been on my wish list for a long time. I wanted to get khaki, then I tried on a red one, and.... Well, now I'm confused.

My hair color is blonde and skin tone is light warm. So I'm wondering if a golden khaki or paper-bag brown is really a bad color for me (as is gray, and black near my face).

Here is the one I tried on. I think the color is good, but definitely not neutral. Not sure how much I would wear it, though it goes with most of my pants:

image.jpg

My leather jackets (in rotation) are black, milk chocolate, maroon, light blue and navy. I also have a casual gap jacket in military green, and a longer trench in light gray (from college).

Should I go for a brighter color, like this coral-y red, or should I wait for some other options? Mahogany (espresso) might work. Navy might be too parochial-school for me, and I already have 2 blue leather jackets + denim jackets. Olive - I don't know. I want something versatile and flattering. Would be nice if the color could be interpreted as a neutral but not necessary, I guess.

I'm willing to wait for the perfect trench.

Here are some Burberry colors:

http://us.burberry.com/store/trench.../brit/prod-38612541-short-cotton-trench-coat/

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

BarbAga

O.G.
Aug 15, 2009
Not sure without pic. I do really like this color though. Sounds like if you would wear it, you could use some color. Jmo

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Thanks everyone. I went to the store and tried on the red coat again, along with all the other colors they had. This one was the cutest, but I'm not getting it:

image.jpg

Too hard to match, too hard to clean, and I'm not really a plaid person.

The SAs said the red one brought out the red in my skin. Don't want THAT. They voted for navy - I already have 4 blue jackets, need to stay away from blue. Third choice was "juniper" - kind of a military green but more saturated. I have a casual jacket in close to that color, so I am not sold.

Ugh. The bright yellow is a bad choice for me too. (A butter color might be nice.)

The stone and khaki colors were just "OK". (Looking back at the pics, I like the stone but already have a casual jacket and coat in that color. Not exciting enough to make the purchase.)

Loved the Coach Trench though. So cute!

I'll head over to Burberry in a week or two to see what they have. Maybe there is a certain shade of gold or green that would work. Or maybe Coach will come out with some exciting colors for Fall since they are growing their lifestyle product line.

Found 2 purses that I LOVED there. They were both brown and one of my purse resolutions was to stop buying brown purses. :shrugs:

Shopping was much easier when I didn't have anything! :P

Jujuma

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
I have a black Burberry knee length trench. I love it. I also love how this jacket looks in black. I may be boring but if I'm getting a coat I know I'll be wearing a lot I go for a neutral. I have some colored coats too, but always seem to reach for the black one's the most. I like the vibe of that one especially in the black. Good luck, get the one you feel good in. Oh, and taupey beighy ones wash me out too, but I'm always wanting one.

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
I've been thinking more about this stone trench:

image.jpg

I have a casual jacket and a longer coat (which I don't wear often) in similar colors. This one would be more business casual.

What I love most about this style and color is the contrasting buttons. The buttons blend in on the darker colors. I would have to make extra effort to keep it clean. :-s

I think I could introduce assorted colors with scarves. I have one in shades of blue which could be nice with this.

I'll upload a mod pic in the next post.

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Here is a mod pic:

image.jpg

What do you think of the color with my skin and hair? The SAs thought it was "just OK" and preferred the darker colors. I'm just not getting excited about the darker colors.

What do you think about maintaining a light coat? I could apple garde it, but I don't know if that would help especially if it needs to be cleaned every so often. At least it's short enough that I wouldn't be sitting on it.

BarbAga

O.G.
Aug 15, 2009
Looks cute. I would say it depends on your style. I rarely get anything onmy clothes, however my grown daughter can not avoid it. Been a running joke with us forever. Good luck with choice

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
^^^ Thanks for the quick response. I had another idea! I could replace the buttons on my long stone trench coat. They blend in with the coat now. I could replace them with dark gray buttons for contrast, and maybe get a buckle too. The coat is in good shape - I'm going to clean it first and see how it comes out. Then I can test the scarf idea and wait for more coat colors for the short trench.

Burberry had some pretty colors on their site. Not necessarily in the short trenches, but I can wait. I saw a marine blue (I know I said no more blue :P), berry, a honey mustard color, some khaki colors that might work. The Burberry black coats looked good too.

Hopefully Coach will make more colors in the trench I liked next season.

Next stops: The fabric store for buttons, and then Burberry!

Princess Pink

Oct 3, 2007
Personally I think the best colors for a trench is beige (camel-ish/fawn) or khaki. It would be more versatile for spring/autumn and compliments other outfits more than say black or red. I have one each and wear them equally. I also have a black coat (not trench) and save that only for the coldest days as the black is too heavy in color outside winter imo; I have a red jacket too which I adored in the store but have only worn a handful of times because the color just isn't as versatile.

Good luck with your decision!