What clothes steamer do you recommend?

I thought I'd post a review of my new steamer here. I have used it one day for several different pieces of clothing.

Here is the model I got from Home Depot:

SteamFast Deluxe Garment Steamer
Model # SF-540

Note that other models of steamers of this brand have had negative reviews. I had a hard time finding a steamer that didn't have some negative reviews.

I was pleased with my purchase. :biggrin:

I don't particularly care for steaming. It takes skills. I will get there eventually. It is just "OK", on par with ironing for me, with lots more stooping and exercise. My back hurts a little. I'll have to watch my posture and stretch every so often.

You need to be really organized. Have plastic hangers handy, a place to hang the garments so they can dry after steaming (I used the shower door top rod), an oven mitt (I burned my thumb frequently without it), the attachments and press pad, and a bath matt or towel underneath just to be safe. My steamer didn't leak today. It has a drain plug.

There are lots of plastic parts. They are not fragile, but not particularly heavy duty. The steamer and its parts should be respected. It was easy to assemble and the instructions were good. This model had just about every tool I could want.

I used distilled water as recommended. It used a LOT of water. I'll have to keep an extra gallon in the house. It heated up fast. It gurgled and some water spots came out occasionally, but no harm done. The instructions told me it would do this and explained how to handle it.

Results were good. The user has to do the work - the steamer is not a magician. You have to run the wand over the garment in a way that does not create new creases. I was especially impressed with the fabric brush. It removed MOST of the dog hair on my black cotton trousers. Those pants are a magnet for dog hair, and I have lots of dog hair in my house. That fabric brush will save me rolls and rolls of lint tape. I had to remove the remaining dog hair with tape, but that took very little time.

The instructions warn against using the steamer on 100% synthetic fabrics because they could melt. Natural/synthetic blends may be OK, they said. I tried it anyway on a 100% poly scarf that I was not afraid to ruin. I moved the wand fast and it was OK. I also tried a couple of synthetic knits and didn't have a problem. I'm NOT recommending that you use steamers on 100% synthetic fabrics. I am resolving to avoid buying synthetic clothing in the future - this is a good reason to buy natural fabrics.

As far as "freshening up" worn garments is concerned, I'm not sure I noticed much difference. It did not get rid of deodorant smell. That probably needs to be spot cleaned or washed. I haven't tested a musty piece of clothing yet. The instructions say to sanitize, hold the wand near fabric for 5 seconds if the fabric can handle it, and watch the fabric closely. I think I will continue to lightly steam gently worn garments before storage just as an added precaution.

Steaming will be a once a week ritual for me, as I plan my outfits for the week. It is not good for makeup or my hair (it will frizz), but hopefully it is good for my skin. :tup: I would not do it while I was getting ready to go out.

Feel free to post any other reviews or comments about steamers in this thread.
Thanks for this review, very helpful info! Sounds like a great steamer.

I still use the professional steamer my mom got me almost 20 years ago but I got a Joy one for travel and it's pretty good :smile: And yes I use it on my designer clothing.

I don't own any designer clothing, but I own a Joy Mangano My Little Steamer and have had good results with it, especially for the price.

I agree with Jiffy! I do have 2 things I don't like about it: it takes 10-15 minutes to warm up and ready to steam, and the part you hold in your hand is quite heavy (the wooden part, but not all of them have that). Apart from that, the results are the best, better than other brands (have to day I didn't use Rowenta) and I would definetely go for Jiffy.

I agree with Jiffy! I do have 2 things I don't like about it: it takes 10-15 minutes to warm up and ready to steam, and the part you hold in your hand is quite heavy (the wooden part, but not all of them have that). Apart from that, the results are the best, better than other brands (have to day I didn't use Rowenta) and I would definetely go for Jiffy.

That's so strange - my Jiffy is usually ready in 1-2 minutes. My handle is plastic but I was looking into getting the wooden one.

My steamer has worked beautifully on my silks (which is one of the main reasons I bought a steamer) but I have noticed that steaming does bring out more of a texture/crumple is certain types of fabrics.

That's so strange - my Jiffy is usually ready in 1-2 minutes. My handle is plastic but I was looking into getting the wooden one.

My steamer has worked beautifully on my silks (which is one of the main reasons I bought a steamer) but I have noticed that steaming does bring out more of a texture/crumple is certain types of fabrics.

Hmm, that's weird! I think it depends on the specific type we're using? What type do you use? (I'm thinking to get one at home) Anyway... still the best steamer haha!

Yeah mine literally takes a minute to heat. I'm assuming me have newer models.

I just buy a Jiffy Steamer 2200M and like it. It is simple to use and makes ironing clothes much faster. I've also used it on several sweaters that I would normally either Handwash and dry smooth or dry clean, and it did a great job.