Books & Music What Classics/books did you blow off in school?

I never read:
- The Grapes of Wrath
- To Kill a Mockingbird (watched the movie)
- Sula
- Joy Luck Club

...omg, now that I see this I hardly read any of the books in my AP English class, LOL!!! :nuts: How I passed with a B I hvae no clue?

The Rider on the White Horse by Theodor Storm
Intrigue and Love by Friedrich Schiller
Woyzeck by Georg Büchner

I'm from Germany so obviously I had to read many German classics. Surprisingly, I really liked Faust by Goethe.

When I was in High School, I really struggled with Faulkner's "Sound and the Fury." I couldn't get through that book - I forced myself to read it, but I just got words in a string.

When I was in college, I tried it again. It was much better when I was drunk.

I had a teacher who said, "I have three types of students - ones who love Hemingway and Melville and loathe Fitzgerald and Hawthorne. The ones who love Fitzgerald and Hawthorne and detest Hemingway and Melville. And the Philistines."

Last edited:
I have never read A Tale of Two Cities
or Pride and Prejudice
or Shakespeare or
Gone With The Wind

Dude, Gone with the Wind (and Austin for that matter) was an assigned book in your high school?! I wish it was in mine! Awesome book.

The ones I remember are The Scarlet Letter, Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men.

The Shakespeare thing too, but really I don;t get why those are assigned reading anyway. Shakespeare only resonates when it's performed, not read.

none of the books you mentioned were assigned reading for me
we did Shakespeare in junior high but I never enjoyed reading it
I read a lot on my own
I never read gone with the wind
my mother said the movie was so close to the book I didn't have to read it
my mother read her way through the local library
I read the grapes of wrath I am named after one of the characters rose of sharon I did read of mice and men
I have read so much that many things I have read I have forgotten
I am old
don't call me dude please

Dude, Gone with the Wind (and Austin for that matter) was an assigned book in your high school?! I wish it was in mine! Awesome book.

The ones I remember are The Scarlet Letter, Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men.

The Shakespeare thing too, but really I don;t get why those are assigned reading anyway. Shakespeare only resonates when it's performed, not read.

I could not get through anything by Charles Dickens. I remember being assigned "Bleak House" by one of my professors in college and couldn't make it past 300 pages or so. Boy, how I tried.

Another professor assigned "The Crying of Lot 49" by Thomas Pynchon. None of the characters was remotely likeable to me and I just gave up less than halfway through.