What Chanel Suprised you? You first thought "Not my Style" but now "LOVE"!

I originally wanted to say the boy bag, but then realized that it wasn't that I didn't like it but my feeling reflects what Sparkletastic described. I do like them but I like the "right"/special ones that has more of a twist to it... so, boy's not my "surprise" then.

I have to say for me, it's the "SO BLACK" series and the Coco Handle. I think I'm in the minority, but of the many "so blacks" that was released, I didn't fall in love for quite some time. I really felt that it's "blah" because there was no contrast with the hardware and while the chevron distressed calf reissue one was the closest to me liking it, I still wasn't in love - something doesn't feel right? :shrugs:

Finally, the caviar lamb so black boy comes out, and in the small size, I think the "coolness" of the boy bag style, coupled with the new caviar material, and most importantly the iridescent black hardware gave it just enough contrast that I finally felt a "YES" to the so black series. I realized that for me in the so black series, it's a matter of needing the "right" contrast between the sheen/color of the leather (yes there are many different shades of black - just ask lego batman) and the hardware. So if they ever release the classic quilted so black in the right material and hardware contrast... I wouldn't say no either!

Then the coco handle. I thought for the longest time... what is the big deal?! it looked kind of matronly, awkward and though pretty nothing exciting to me. I picked up the blue one during 17C and quite honestly when I bought it I thought it looked great on, more versatile than I though (look great casual - maybe due to color?) and thought - why not? I liked it but didn't love it. Then I finally got around to using it and realized how much more I love it then. Very much pleasantly surprised: it was lightweight, practical, versatile, sturdy enough, and really such an easy to wear and use bag. I am not sure that I am going to be collecting more in the future given how many items from Chanel screams for my attention any given season and I need self control, but if the right one shows up, i'm not sure i'm going to be able to say no to the right coco going forward :P

OH!! 1 more Chanel item that surprised me BIG TIME: Brooches!!! NEVER EVER wore nor liked brooches before, and so shocked at how easy they are to wear, how fun, and how much the right brooches can "make" an outfit.

It was actually the classic flap for me! I thought I'd never buy Chanel but then absolutely loved the Boy when it came out. And then all of a sudden, after I got a Boy, the classic flap started growing on me and now I have multiples!

Like @Passau @chicnfab @Sparkletastic @Kendie26 @starprism_7 its the BOY for me...
Love it on other people but 'meh' on me.
Bought this rainbow boy even though it didn't really sing to me but thought it's such a special piece.
I took it out finally the 5th month after buying it and was so self conscious as it attracted so much attention and thought definitely not my style.
That this boy jacket appeared and it was first love!
GIRL!!!!! HAVE MISSED YOU SO MUCH!! WELCOME BACK!!! Hope all is wonderful w/ you. :heart::heart::heart:Love your Boy tons! :hugs:

Reactions: aki_sato
The infamous espadrilles... I thought they looked ugly at first when they came out but now I've grown to like them.
Omg totally agree!! Thought espadrilles were soooo hideous. Now I love them and they're so super comfy lol.

The other would be coco handle. It just didn't appeal to me initially. Now it's on my wishlist :lol:

I thought of another Chanel item that I hated and did a reverse on - Chanel jackets. I despised them. They seemed heavy, matronly and screamed ladies who lunch. :sick:

Then I was swayed in my opinion as I saw bloggers / instgrammers style the jackets with more casual, modern, fun looks. I also think I was swayed because the jackets did update a bit more to align with an aesthetic that appeals to a broader age range.

Or...maybe I just got older and started to hit the demo. :lol: In any case I plan to buy my first jackets this year.
The infamous espadrilles... I thought they looked ugly at first when they came out but now I've grown to like them.
I originally wanted to say the boy bag, but then realized that it wasn't that I didn't like it but my feeling reflects what Sparkletastic described. I do like them but I like the "right"/special ones that has more of a twist to it... so, boy's not my "surprise" then.

I have to say for me, it's the "SO BLACK" series and the Coco Handle. I think I'm in the minority, but of the many "so blacks" that was released, I didn't fall in love for quite some time. I really felt that it's "blah" because there was no contrast with the hardware and while the chevron distressed calf reissue one was the closest to me liking it, I still wasn't in love - something doesn't feel right? :shrugs:

Finally, the caviar lamb so black boy comes out, and in the small size, I think the "coolness" of the boy bag style, coupled with the new caviar material, and most importantly the iridescent black hardware gave it just enough contrast that I finally felt a "YES" to the so black series. I realized that for me in the so black series, it's a matter of needing the "right" contrast between the sheen/color of the leather (yes there are many different shades of black - just ask lego batman) and the hardware. So if they ever release the classic quilted so black in the right material and hardware contrast... I wouldn't say no either!

Then the coco handle. I thought for the longest time... what is the big deal?! it looked kind of matronly, awkward and though pretty nothing exciting to me. I picked up the blue one during 17C and quite honestly when I bought it I thought it looked great on, more versatile than I though (look great casual - maybe due to color?) and thought - why not? I liked it but didn't love it. Then I finally got around to using it and realized how much more I love it then. Very much pleasantly surprised: it was lightweight, practical, versatile, sturdy enough, and really such an easy to wear and use bag. I am not sure that I am going to be collecting more in the future given how many items from Chanel screams for my attention any given season and I need self control, but if the right one shows up, i'm not sure i'm going to be able to say no to the right coco going forward :P

OH!! 1 more Chanel item that surprised me BIG TIME: Brooches!!! NEVER EVER wore nor liked brooches before, and so shocked at how easy they are to wear, how fun, and how much the right brooches can "make" an outfit.
You ladies have touched on 3 items about which I'm sitting on the fence and am trying my best NOT to fall into the like / love category. (I already have too many expensive obsessions! LOL!)
• Espadrilles - I don't really like flats and hated these most of all - well other than birkenstocks and uggs :sick::sick::sick: - with a fiery passion. Then recently I caught myself thinking a pair of espadrilles I saw on TPF were adorable. Even worse I've started thinking I should try some on. Help!
• So black bags - I've been mostly silent on these because I know they are much beloved and didn't have a "dog in that fight". LOL! But, I really don't "get" these for one reason you mention, @Vanana, the hardware doesn't stand out to me. So they don't pop. Maybe I need to really examine these in person (or again, maybe I don't. I need to have something I don't want, right????) I fear I could fall down the road because I love a great black bag. But not yet.
• Brooches - I think I'm holding strong on not wanting these. I don't like pins or other stuff on my blouses and sweaters. And, they remind me of my grandma. But...never say never...

I thought of another Chanel item that I hated and did a reverse on - Chanel jackets. I despised them. They seemed heavy, matronly and screamed ladies who lunch. :sick:

Then I was swayed in my opinion as I saw bloggers / instgrammers style the jackets with more casual, modern, fun looks. I also think I was swayed because the jackets did update a bit more to align with an aesthetic that appeals to a broader age range.

Or...maybe I just got older and started to hit the demo. :lol: In any case I plan to buy my first jackets this year.

You ladies have touched on 3 items about which I'm sitting on the fence and am trying my best NOT to fall into the like / love category. (I already have too many expensive obsessions! LOL!)
• Espadrilles - I don't really like flats and hated these most of all - well other than birkenstocks and uggs :sick::sick::sick: - with a fiery passion. Then recently I caught myself thinking a pair of espadrilles I saw on TPF were adorable. Even worse I've started thinking I should try some on. Help!
• So black bags - I've been mostly silent on these because I know they are much beloved and didn't have a "dog in that fight". LOL! But, I really don't "get" these for one reason you mention, @Vanana, the hardware doesn't stand out to me. So they don't pop. Maybe I need to really examine these in person (or again, maybe I don't. I need to have something I don't want, right????) I fear I could fall down the road because I love a great black bag. But not yet.
• Brooches - I think I'm holding strong on not wanting these. I don't like pins or other stuff on my blouses and sweaters. And, they remind me of my grandma. But...never say never...

Thats so true, never say never!! Lol

Let me know when you decide on the brooches one day hahah! It took me two years to decide I finally wanted some in my collection, they look especially good pinned on anything if your creative enough.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
It was actually the classic flap for me! I thought I'd never buy Chanel but then absolutely loved the Boy when it came out. And then all of a sudden, after I got a Boy, the classic flap started growing on me and now I have multiples!

Me too!! Fell in love with the Boy and that was my first Chanel (2 years ago). Never even looked at the classic flap bc i found it too "prim" for me. Then for the past few months, I had serious bag envy every time I saw anyone carrying the classic flap in pics or IRL. And now I finally have my first m/l classic flap and now I can't stop looking at the rectangular mini flaps!

Reactions: Bags_4_life