What causes an addiction to handbags?

violeturq

Jul 4, 2015
I cannot stop myself from buying handbags, to the point where I've even started buying a few 'preloved' (expensive) ones. I've realized it's a real addiction I have, but for the life of me, I cannot work out what's behind it. I now have so many bags that I'm starting to fill up yet another wardrobe in yet another bedroom.

Although I do
have a few low end names such as Fossil and Radley, I also have a very good supply of premium bag names (Gucci, Mulberry, Marc Jacobs etc.) but I still just cannot find the perfect bag. I would love to have just a few for everyday use and a few for going out... (few enough that they would only fill ONE wardrobe instead of several!), but every bag leaves me wanting more. If the design is perfect, then I can't get the colour I want, if the colour and design are right, then the type of leather is not what I want. If all those are right, then the finish isn't my idea of perfection... there's always SOMETHING that means I never find my perfect bag.

I sometimes like bags enough to use them for a week or two, then the 'imperfections' really annoy me and it gets stored away. But I rarely sell any, as I still like the bag to look at... just not to use!
Anyone else relate to this?

It's got to the point where I really envy my friends who seem to be happy carrying around a single favourite bag until it either goes out of fashion or falls apart, lol!

From a psychological point of view, handbag addiction must be fulfilling some need we addicts have... there must be a reason for it.
Anyone out there a psych with any ideas as to what causes some of us to be genuine 'addicts' of handbags? :biggrin:

Reactions: chi_mommy9
When you find out let me know! I am the same. I look at them all and I really don't need as many as I have. I probably use around 3 regularly. Yet I have many many bags and keep collecting more.
I have collected more again recently but then did manage to sell a few. I intend to really get stuck in and sell some more this year. I really have some lovely bags that have been unused for years.

For me, I can't speak for anyone else, I believe it to be hereditary or nature. When I was as young as 4 I carried a little handbag everywhere I went and was very particular about packing it. One of my earliest memories is being at Disney and I took my fav handbag with my very favorite little dolls in it ("little kiddles", for anyone that remembers them, aging myself) and I left it somewhere. I was inconsolable, it ruined my trip. One of grandmothers had the same "condition". My husband was informed of this condition before we married.

When you find out let me know! I am the same. I look at them all and I really don't need as many as I have. I probably use around 3 regularly. Yet I have many many bags and keep collecting more.
I have collected more again recently but then did manage to sell a few. I intend to really get stuck in and sell some more this year. I really have some lovely bags that have been unused for years.

Yep... you've definitely got whatever I have, lol! ;)

For me, I can't speak for anyone else, I believe it to be hereditary or nature. When I was as young as 4 I carried a little handbag everywhere I went and was very particular about packing it. One of my earliest memories is being at Disney and I took my fav handbag with my very favorite little dolls in it ("little kiddles", for anyone that remembers them, aging myself) and I left it somewhere. I was inconsolable, it ruined my trip. One of grandmothers had the same "condition". My husband was informed of this condition before we married.

You may have something there, lol! I don't remember having a handbag as such, when I was small, but I was the same with school satchels. I used to drive my Mum nuts by completely emptying my satchel on the sofa every single evening to rearrange the things in it, or to pack a different bag to use the next day.

I cannot stop myself from buying handbags, to the point where I've even started buying a few 'preloved' (expensive) ones. I've realized it's a real addiction I have, but for the life of me, I cannot work out what's behind it. I now have so many bags that I'm starting to fill up yet another wardrobe in yet another bedroom.

Although I do
have a few low end names such as Fossil and Radley, I also have a very good supply of premium bag names (Gucci, Mulberry, Marc Jacobs etc.) but I still just cannot find the perfect bag. I would love to have just a few for everyday use and a few for going out... (few enough that they would only fill ONE wardrobe instead of several!), but every bag leaves me wanting more. If the design is perfect, then I can't get the colour I want, if the colour and design are right, then the type of leather is not what I want. If all those are right, then the finish isn't my idea of perfection... there's always SOMETHING that means I never find my perfect bag.

I sometimes like bags enough to use them for a week or two, then the 'imperfections' really annoy me and it gets stored away. But I rarely sell any, as I still like the bag to look at... just not to use!
Anyone else relate to this?

It's got to the point where I really envy my friends who seem to be happy carrying around a single favourite bag until it either goes out of fashion or falls apart, lol!

From a psychological point of view, handbag addiction must be fulfilling some need we addicts have... there must be a reason for it.
Anyone out there a psych with any ideas as to what causes some of us to be genuine 'addicts' of handbags? :biggrin:

I believe that like everything else, we are always searching for "perfection" but it doesn't exist. Many times they have made to order bags, that can help with the issue of not having perfect color/hardware/material etc....but still, that bag will not suit all of your needs.

The reality is, there are so many beautiful bags, for different needs, in different colors, with different materials etc. Everyone has susceptibility to addictions, some ppl drugs, some shoes, some clothes, alcohol, cigarettes, and for us....BAGS! [or maybe more than one of these, hopefully not though]. I know I love beautiful things, so I am addicted to bags, home decor, etc., but spend more money on bags than anything else.

So...if you ever happen up on a cure, please be sure to let the rest of us in on it! I refuse to even count my bags anymore, I know I have more than 100...and that'll always be my number if asked...100'ish. lol that's my story I'm sticking to it.

I believe that like everything else, we are always searching for "perfection" but it doesn't exist. Many times they have made to order bags, that can help with the issue of not having perfect color/hardware/material etc....but still, that bag will not suit all of your needs... .

Ah perfectionism... you might have a point there! I've been described as a perfectionist errrm... once or twice... lol... in my life. Just need to find the cure for perfectionism now then! :graucho:

Do u have a HG bag that you have wanted for years?? I had one bought it last year twice, and now I don't really want anything else. Nothing even tempts me like they used to before. Still love handbags. Still admire them on other people. Still read tPF. This is just me though. Others have HG bags that have disappointed. But for now one year on, I am happy!!:smile:

I think it's more or less human nature to get a little bit OCD about hobbies/interests/something. It could be a lot worse like drugs, alcohol or sex. At least the handbag addiction isn't too harmful (other than the economic drain). Some folks are compulsive about exercise, others about collecting figurines. Men get crazy about their motorcycles, cars, boats, golfing.

IDK about the hereditary piece although jujuma's comments made me laugh (in a good way!) about the "condition". I never liked purses as a child or even as a young adult. If anything, I felt embarrassed about hauling one around. OTOH, my mother is FULL ON addicted to buying purses. She's a shut in who never uses them at all. She buys them on QVC and then just stares at them. I don't know if I should be happy for her that she has a thing that makes her happy, or sad about how her life has turned out (not about the purses, but about her string of bad choices that have left her a shut in and all alone).

I've lately been embracing my femininity more and becoming more comfortable with who and what I am so I've started getting into hand bags and especially leather. I LOVE LEATHER as it turns out! So I have my beautiful leather moto jacket, 4 pairs of high end leather boots and now I have 4 leather handbags. Then I bought my husband some beautiful caiman/leather boots, a couple leather jackets and a leather briefcase. I love maintaining our leather, cleaning our items, conditioning them, making them beautiful and admiring them. Lately I want to change out my nylon/leather trimmed Tumi work bag for a full on leather brief. The leather makes me feel like I'm sitting in the lap of luxury and that is such a beautiful feeling... like I've "arrived".

Weird? Maybe. But I also have a girlfriend/acquaintance who bakes cakes obsessively. So, there's that. We all have a "thing".

Reactions: chi_mommy9
http://cliparts.co/cliparts/6ip/o4z/6ipo4zopT.jpg
This causes handbag addiction^
His name is Gus.
He's very sorry & will stop infecting tpf members with his madness.
Until Thursday.
Then all bets are off.
And he'll be body-slamming rational thought to the ground again.
Before eating its vital organs.

Some say root of all addiction is fear.
But Gus is much more fun to look at & has cute purple ears. ;)

Everyone is addicted to something....and this isn't bad addiction to have....expensive yes but all addictions are. I embrace it. t least I have something to show for my money

I also suffer from this. Haha. I do not have any high end ones yet though. But lots of Coach, Michael Kors, Fossil, Aldo, and now my new love Kate Spade. I really want a LV, but I just don't know if I can spend the $1300 on one! That is my HG bag right now though. I'm just afraid after I get it, I will still want more.

I am obsessed. The purse section in any store is my favorite. I walk around and around staring. I have 4 brand new bags in my closet right now just waiting to be used.

I also, like Jujuma, had them has a child. I've loved purses since I was little and can't stop. Ha. I think they just make me feel good. They don't hurt my fret like shoes, or shrink in my closet like clothes [emoji6]. I keep saying I'm going to stop, but I can't. Lucky for me, my husband encourages my addiction. Sometimes paying for some, but mostly it's me. I keep saying I want to sell or give a few away to family members, but he likes me to keep them all as a "collection" which is great, but I'm starting to run out of room! Ha.

When you find the reason, let me know too!!