What cars are prestigious in the US?

I always think of prestigious cars as- Ferraris,Lamborghini,Bugatti,Rolls,Bentleys. Things that you can only afford if your rich,or a man having a mid-life crisis. Cars that make you go WOW.

But here is the problem, they seem to be so cheap! For instance, a BMW 135i which costs about $82,000AU, costs about $40,000US.

Have you considered the exchange rates? The prices don't seem that much higher to me.

82,000.00 AUD

=

68,469.28 USD

Australia Dollars United States Dollars 1 AUD = 0.834991 USD 1 USD = 1.19762 AUD

And no offense to anyone here, but a $40+k car, bought new in the US, means you are doing pretty well to 95% of the population. I'm guessing the average income on the Purse Forum is a bit higher than the median $50k for the entire US, so I think you may get a skewed viewpoint on here. . In general, if a normal person sees a new BMW, the first thing that goes through their head is "that person must make more money than the average person."

ITA! :tup:

i guess it also depends on what part of the country or the kind of city you live in. where i'm from a bmw 7 would be considered rare. even the car i drive (lexus IS) got a surprising (like an "oooh" response) reaction from people i know. whereas an entry level luxury car like that is very commonplace in bigger or more affluent cities.

In my mind, the presitgious cars are: Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Mercedes SLR

I'm also a car girl and it's gotta be a really different and interesting car to turn my head and make me think it's prestigious.

<---Future Aston Martin DBS owner. :graucho:

Last edited:
We get hit HARD with Customs tax/duty.

Its completly different in other parts of the world.

Its like in Germany, most of the taxis are Mercedes!!
Thats where they are made, so its cheap to buy them there. Mercedes for them was like Holden to us! (Not all the models obviously)

I think cars in general are cheaper in the usa, because of the exchange and taxes and importation fees. etc.

I think it's a matter of perspective.. in countries like the US where the standard of living is definitely high compared to other countries, BMWs, MBs, Range Rovers, Porsches are everywhere! Many regular people can afford to have them as a daily driver. (And even if they can't really afford it, dealers have very enticing offers and payment schemes!)

In other parts of the world (like in some countries in Asia), there is the matter of the exchange rate. The value of the dollar and euro makes even a brand new Honda not easily attainable even if you earn a decent salary! Also, import and luxury taxes double the prices of regular luxury cars (BMW MB etc) and exotics (Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley) that the only people who can afford them are the really rich people, like politicians and business tycoons.

Sooo I would say in the US the ultimate luxury cars are the exotic cars.. the Ferraris, Bentleys and Rolls Royces that I can only dream of owning! :upsidedown:

top o' the line? rolls. aston martin. lamborgini.
the rest? bmws and mercedes? they use those for taxis in europe but in the US people think they are the shizzle. personally, they are cute but if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I'd want something more unique. KWIM?

I stand corrected on the Lotus. That doesn't belong on the list. For some reason I always thought they were pricier...goes to show you what I know! ;)

But I still stand by the Mercedes SLR as being prestigious. At 400k+, they're hardly common place.

I think you're right in including Lotus- until the Elise, which is bare-bones sports car with little frills came along, most Lotuses started around $60k- and that was in the 80s/90s. Even now, anything other than a very basic Elise, which starts in the high $40s, is going to run you $60k+ :smile:.