What can you do with a Biology degree?

Munchkyn

I LOVE Penguins
O.G.
Oct 28, 2005
Ok, I am graduating in May with a Biology degree and I was wondering if any of you had any ideas for jobs?

I plan on applying to pharmacy school but I have not been accepted yet so I was trying to think of alternatives I could do in the mean time.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

You could get your teaching certificate and teach in high school. You could also work as a pharmacy tech. One of my friends worked his way through college and pharmacy school at Kroger.

La Vanguardia said:
You can work for a multi-national pharmaceutical company. You can also try to continue with a PhD and be an active researcher.

I would love to get into a pharmaceutical company but a lot of companies require 1+ year sales experience I don't have. I am currently a pharmacy tech, does that count?

I am not really interested in doing research though...

LOL, I have a biology and Russian degree, that qualifies me for a whole lot of nothing! If the pharmacology thing doesn't work out, Biology's a tough field for a B.S. degree and no experience, you might want to consider going for a M.S. or PhD if you love the field. Try talking to a few of your professors to see if they can steer you in the right direction. It'll be rough to find something that isn't research based considering that's basically what Biology is-lots and lots of research.

You can also try looking at the CDC (Center for Disease Control) in Atlanta. I had a friend work there right out of undergrad.

Here are a few links to help you out:
http://www.aibs.org/careers/

http://www.millikin.edu/biology/what_to_do.html

http://condor.depaul.edu/~biology/ugrad/50things.html

Good luck! Hope you get into a pharm program!

jillybean307 said:
LOL, I have a biology and Russian degree, that qualifies me for a whole lot of nothing! If the pharmacology thing doesn't work out, Biology's a tough field for a B.S. degree and no experience, you might want to consider going for a M.S. or PhD if you love the field. Try talking to a few of your professors to see if they can steer you in the right direction. It'll be rough to find something that isn't research based considering that's basically what Biology is-lots and lots of research.

You can also try looking at the CDC (Center for Disease Control) in Atlanta. I had a friend work there right out of undergrad.

Here are a few links to help you out:
http://www.aibs.org/careers/

http://www.millikin.edu/biology/what_to_do.html

http://condor.depaul.edu/~biology/ugrad/50things.html

Good luck! Hope you get into a pharm program!

Thanks for the resources, I will check them out.

you can do anything you want! i have a MPA and a BA, BS in crim and psych and I am a creative professional lol

an education is the best thing in the world to invest in, because it teaches you how to learn and adapt, so have fun, enjoy the journey and most importantly, CONGRATS on all your hard work and discipline!!!!!!

These day you can do pretty much anything with any degree so its your oyster :P. Especially since it is only for the interim until you get accepted to pharmacology school.

Munchkyn said:
Ok, I am graduating in May with a Biology degree and I was wondering if any of you had any ideas for jobs?

I plan on applying to pharmacy school but I have not been accepted yet so I was trying to think of alternatives I could do in the mean time.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Hi - I have a B.S. in Biology and work in the Pharmaceutical Sales Industry. Big Pharma usually do NOT hire people w/out sales experience, so you trying to go directly through the front door w/ one of the big or mid-range pharma co's will be difficult.

BUT, there is a way my friend!!! :amuse: There are companies that hire recent grads, people without sales experience or science backgrounds... these companies are called "Contract Sales" (CS) companies. Your paycheck will come from the CS., BUT you will be DIRECTLY working w/ a MAJOR pharma company, selling their products.

Background: When Big pharma needs to ramp up their sales force very quickly b/c of product launches, competition, whatever... the quickest, easiest and CHEAPEST way is w/ a CS company. This is also beneficial b/c when the contract ends (could be anywhere between 1-5 yrs) and when they have to lay-off 1,500 people, Big pharma stockholders and the media don't know any different! Imagine if people found out, "Oh no, Merck just let go a 1000 sales reps! What the hell is going on?" Investors get nervous, stocks go down, blah, blah, blah... Contract Sales is used by EVERY MAJOR PHARMA COMPANY!!!

Contract Sales is a great way to get your foot in the door! Once you have about 1 yr exp, you can pretty much apply anywhere. Only down fall is that you will be making less money then those working directly w/ the company... BUT you will still get the SAME intensive training (6-8 weeks! ughhh), same laptop and sales data, car and GAS card (or allowance), exp. account, and most importantly EXPERIENCE!!! Which you NEED!

I'll try to find the names CS companies for you...
PM if you have any questions. Good luck! :biggrin:

PS. for those who might also reading this...
Pharma Reps are NOT, repeat, NOT rich!!! I wish we were!!! :mad: Those days were good in the 80's, early 90's... now it is not at all lucrative b/c of all the BS. The good old days are gone.

If you are looking for the major money it is in: Biotech, Medical Device Sales, Instruments, Capital Equipment, OR and Cardio Equip, etc... but these jobs are FEW and FAR between... OUTRAGEOUSLY competitive and still pretty much an All-Boys Club. KWIM? ;)

have you thought about going to medical school/ you should have all the prereqs since you have a major in bio. best thing you can ever do for yourself. It opens an unlimited variety of lifelong opportunities, you never have to worry about finding a job and you make a great living while doing what you want to do. I love being a doctor and couldn't imagine anything else. another area you might think about if med school is not your thing, there is also a lot more interested in biological warfare and opportunities in government in that arena. good luck

Munchkyn - I guess you might need to try and send out your CV to every department and every pharma company. You'll never know. In the website of big pharma, they are job postings and that'll give you an idea of what is available and what experience is needed.

The idea of lilskydiver is also a very good option.

I don't know in the US, but here in Europe, I met many people who recently graduated or are students and they get an internship for big pharma in research for one year or so. Then, they look for opportunities to move on to Marketing if they realize research is not for them. That might also be a good step to enter big pharma.

Get involved in the international black market in donor organs and fund your handbag passion by selling bits of your victims! :biggrin:

Or, like, be a nurse...? :blink: ;)

Cx

I just wanted to add that since it's Spring & you're graduating there should be a ton of career fairs going on at your school. Type up your resume & go to them! Also, my undergrad had a career center where they could guide you in picking a career or discussing what you can do with your degree. Companies also sent in career openings, so a lot of my friends found positions that way. If your school has one, definitely check it out.

Don't forget to check all the basics too like:

www.careerbuilder.com
www.monster.com
www.hotjobs.com
www.craigslist.org
www.idealist.org (a website for nonprofit companies & charities-I've seen quite a few bio jobs on there)

When I graduated, I put my resume on Monster & Careerbuilder, and I received quite a few calls for jobs. Like someone else said, just get your resume out there. Send out ten a day, and just see what happens!

lilskydiver posted exactly what I was going to post, except in more detail. Of course, you could also work as a technician reporting to a PhD researcher in a pharmaceutical company. Of course, you'd be treated so poorly that you'd be aching to go get your own PhD asap.