What can you do if you don't have a stove hood?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'll have a stove hood put in when I remodel my kitchen in a few years, but for now, the smoke alarm (in the hall) goes off when I broil meat on the high setting. I don't often do that, but when I do, the dogs go nuts. The other day the bedrooms smelled a little like beef.

Is there a quick and easy fix I can implement to keep the heat or smoke away from the rest of the house? The kitchen has a window. Can I do something easy with a fan? Or maybe get one of those portable dyson fan things?

I would appreciate any ideas you chefs might have. :smile:

2. Open the window and put a fan it in (facing out) when you are cooking. It won't help like a hood will, but it will certainly be better than now. Close the doors to the bedrooms when you cook and air out the house when you are done.

I have a range but it doesn't suck toward the outside, it just kind of moves the air around. I open the window when the hood is on and it helps to pull in fresh air.

3. Thanks!

I also found that if I broil on Low instead of High, the smoke alarm doesn't go off.

4. I do have a hood, but it's a Dacor pop-up type that's too wimpy. When the weather is good, I use my portable induction burner in the sun room with all the windows open - that way, the whole house doesn't smell of curry or whatever it is I happen to be cooking.