What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

I have a Southport Avenue Small Jenny (outlet) and the leather handles have flaked off in spots. I know I really can't fix this, but if I were to get another bag with handles like the ones on this particular bag, how could I prevent this? Or could I at all?
IMG_6803.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, now that I'm home and had time to think about what I wanted to say..

Jellyv, are you always that rude to people? If you weren't trying to be.. you certainly sound it.

Kate Spade is what I can afford. I'd LOVE to buy a better quality bag. LOVE. But, I can't. I do what I can afford.

SO, until then, I'm going to ask (nicely) again if anyone could possibly help? Anything I could do to prevent this from happening?

Please don't misunderstand: I wasn't at all slamming your taste or budget. Quality isn't always about the price paid. But I know that KS quality can be poor, and outlet stuff sometimes is worse than the store product, and for the same $$ you might have better durability in other brands. You may want to browse the Contemporary Designers forums to see what else is out there that would give you better quality.

I've been on this forum for 10 plus years and do not have a reputation for rudeness, so the answer is, no.

I apologize for misinterpreting your reply. I hope you will forgive me.

Thank you for explaining. I do agree, I'm semi-new to bags.. Kate Spade in particular. My price point is probably lower than most, but I am willing to save if I have to. I will do that.

Thanks.

Reactions: anitalilac
Have you tried showing it to the outlet store? I do not know about their customer service on outlet bags, but my cousin brought her full price KS bag to the outlet for repair a few years ago, and they offered her credit towards a new bag instead.

Have you tried showing it to the outlet store? I do not know about their customer service on outlet bags, but my cousin brought her full price KS bag to the outlet for repair a few years ago, and they offered her credit towards a new bag instead.
I haven't! I didn't think it was worth taking it in. I honestly just figured it was because of something I did wrong.

Many of us use Apple Garde Rain & Stain Repellent to treat the leather before use. It might help.

But jelllyv is right, my experience is that kate spade may not made the best quality handbags. Some lines are worse than others. For the outlet, Wellesley (stiff leather) and Newbury Park (saffiano leather) lines are ok. I like the Cedar Street (saffiano leather) and Cobble Hill (pebble leather) from the full price store. You can find full price items on sale quite often on katespade.com or in department stores (Macys or Lord & Taylor).

Good luck.

Reactions: areyoulistening
Hi! Hope all is well. Have you had it less than a year? I purchased a key holder from the KS outlet the glazing around the perimeter was starting to peel away and took it in 2 days ago and they allowed me to exchange it. They were able to verify proof of purchase by credit card look up. Good luck!

that's happened to a couple of my kate spade purses and wallet. my purses were not made for outlet items, so it's a problem with the paint/process that's used on the leather. t's a big turn off for me and I don't buy her regular leather purses or wallets anymore unless they are saffiano leather or maybe some other new material like the patent and coated canvas. sorry that happened to you, but hopefully you did not pay full price.

Last edited:
that's happened to a couple of my kate spade purses and wallet. my purses were not made for outlet items, so it's a problem with the paint/process that's used on the leather. t's a big turn off for me and I don't buy her regular leather purses or wallets anymore unless they are saffiano leather or maybe some other new material like the patent and coated canvas. sorry that happened to you, but hopefully you did not pay full price.

I didn't, thankfully. And my newest is saffiano, so I'm crossing my fingers it holds up well. I think I'll stick to saffiano from now on. Something that's basically a workhorse. I've had others that weren't made for outlet but never kept them long enough to actually put any wear on them. We shall see! Haha.

Thank you all!

I have a Southport Avenue Small Jenny (outlet) and the leather handles have flaked off in spots. I know I really can't fix this, but if I were to get another bag with handles like the ones on this particular bag, how could I prevent this? Or could I at all?
IMG_6803.jpg
Oh no! You could try touching the handles up with a leather dye (I like Kiwi brand) and a polish. I've had really hit-or-miss experiences with the outlet purses too. I've had better luck getting secondhand pebble leather pieces on ebay; those have held up nicely after a lot of abuse! Good luck.