What can I do if I bid on something that I now think is fake?

Apr 1, 2009
I bid on a bag before authenticating it (i know, dumb move). now i'm seriously questioning it's authenticity even though the seller guarantees it. they said 100% or your money back. the seller has low feedback and there's something that looks off about the bag and dust bag that i didnt notice before. the auction has not ended and is active for a couple more days. can i ask the seller to retract my bid and will they be able to give me negative feedback due to this? my feedback score is perfect so i dont want that to be ruined. what can i do in this situtaion? i don't want to buy a bag, have it be fake and go through the hassle of returning it if i can avoid the whole situation now. i also dont want to pay for return shipping and have the chance of the seller denying receipt of the item.

Retract your bid now if you think it's fake. The seller can't neg you unless you win. Ebay will have a record of it but as long as you don't do it again, you should be okay.

i tried to retract my bid but ebay says there's only 3 valid reasons for retracting a bid. i can only retract it if i cant reach the seller, the seller changes the item description significantly, or if i made a mistake in entering the bid. when i try to fill out the form, i have to choose one of those options. i dont think my situation falls under any of those so which one should i choose? also does retracting my bid hurt me in anyway? thanks.

Last edited:
Say you made a mistake in entering the bid. If you'd thought it was fake when you bid, you'd have bid $1, right? Your "bid retraction" will show on your profile for something like 6 months, but there's no penalty per se. If you develop a history of retracting bids, ebay might suspend you for a bit. But I think you'd have to have a bunch of retractions within a 6 month period for that to happen.

just check that you made a mistake entering the $amount...

your situation doesn't cover a "fake"retraction..so do the next best thing and just

enter that the amount you entered was incorrect.. and no it will not go against

you.. ebay does monitor how many retractions a buyer has but you should be ok

and take care of this as soon as you can...

You made a mistake in entering the bid because you didn't authenticate it first. How's that?
It's wonderful that you're trying to be so honest, and really, you made a mistake.
Retract your bid as soon as you can.

Thanks for all your help. I have another question that involves the validity of my retraction. When you look at my bid history on the item, it shows more than one bid. The first two bid didn't count because the previous bidder had a higher bid than me, so technically I only made one that counted. However when you look at the bid history, it shows that I made three bids back to back. Will I still be able to make a good case out of this if the history shows I tried to bid multiple times?

just retract this bid ..you don't have anything to be concerned about..

just in the future have something authenticated if it needs to be and then

you won't find yourself in this situation again.. ebay does monitor bid

retractions, so be aware of that..but you should be fine..

How about posting it in authenticate this, and if it proves fake, people in here will report it and Ebay probably take the listing down...that way NOONE is stuck with a fake bag - if it IS fake....

Did you retract it? The window to do so is only opened for a while. When it gets close to 1 day you can no longer retract. I would do it ASAP. And don't worry about the reason you put in the drop down menue.