What brands have truly great quality - worthy of the high prices

Up to this time, am still amazed with my Furla bag. I used it as grocery tote, lugging 6 litres of water and juices for years, yet it survived. It even survived one toilet leaking in Beijing (don't ask, too gross). And while it's not a designer bag, it's a totally good value for money! Same as Longchamp tote :biggrin:

Frankly, if I am looking for durability, these are the brands that I will go to. Totally worth the price.

Am not sure whether my designer bags could endure such stress -also because I won't even expose them to those dangers (using muse to cart milk? no thank you). Do they worth their exorbitant prices? Should I spend all my money for Furla instead? Don't think so. There are more things than durability, right?

I won't buy Prada bags anymore. EVER. Granted, I paid less than 1K on sale for mine, but the handles cracked before I even started wearing it and it was BAD. The store sent it in for repair, got it back, the handles are cracking again, I haven't even worn the damn thing, it still has the tag on it. I am just disgusted with Prada quality and every time I think about it, I feel sick to my stomach that I waisted almost 1K on this crap. Hope Prada reads this.

I second Marc Jacobs collection handbags... Particularly the older classic lines. The new lines have become flimsy and lighter so I am yet to see these stand the test of time.

I love, love Chloe( as you can see from my wishlist) but I do not think that any of the brands( and I own Guccis and LVs) are really worth the price. As a recent( well, May '07) college grad, my bags are precious to me! When I spend a lot of money, I am almost obsessive about keeping them clean and I never did that when I wore Coach!

Pricing is influenced by a lot of factors - the brand, material,popularity and exclusivity, the exchange rate and size to name a few. Generally albeit some exceptions higher priced brands do show better quality.

Definitely, Michelle Vale. Inside and Out. Her bags have suede lining and killer metal logo plates. They are not made in China, like so may of these others and have much prettier detailing. I also like Gryson, made in Italy. The advantage is you get a much more intricate style, nicer materials and the prices are less expensive than these mass brands that cost a fraction to make. I work in the fashion industry and I support small luxury brands to large ones. The large players are making a huge mark-up, while new designers are barely getting by. Once designers grow they tend to skimp on their product as the name sells itself.

I beat up on my bags terribly. I have 2 small children, so my bags really get tossed around, spilled on, etc. I have a Prada from 4 yrs ago that the stitching started ripping on after less than a year. My Louis Vuitton leather gets stained very easily. The Gucci canvas is tough as nails (and actually cleans very well with oxyclean) but I suspect that would be the case with most canvas. I am on to purchase my first Marc Jacobs and am hoping for good quality leather that will not fall apart or stain so easily.

Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta.
i paid full retail for almost all of these two brand bags i own, worth every penny of it!!!
Willing to try Rebecca Minkoff though, heard lots about the leather, but im scared i may not like without seen it in real life

Vintage Marc Jacobs is heavenly. And back then, the prices weren't AS high as they are now. The first Venetia's and Stella's look better and better the more you use them. That's the case with Balenciaga too, although the leather is thinner and therefore more delicate.

If you need a bag to really sling and swing, you'd be better off with Prada nylon, something more utilitarian vs. fashiony.

I'm interested to hear about Coach. I haven't had one in awhile and like the patent bags that they have this season. Especially the white one. I've heard they have gone down in quality though and up in prices. I had two leather coaches and although the leather was pretty when I bought them, they seemed to fade over time and look very worn. I also dislike carrying a bag that everyone else has.

A brand that I have bought several bags in is Brahmin. Probably not a designer label, but very good in holding up and I had great customer service. Heavy bags though. When I bought my first Brahmin, it was $400 and that was pretty high several years ago. They don't seem to have shot up in price as much as some other bags and the quality seems to have stayed. Great organization in their bags too.