What brand nail polish does Not contain formaldehyde?

Sep 18, 2006
I'm allergic to formaldehyde and am very limited in what nail polish I can use. The only brand I have found so far that does not contain formaldehyde is Zoya.

I love OPI and the wide range of colors they make, but I'm sad that their polish contains formaldehyde.

Does anyone know what other brands are formaldehyde free? For those who have Chanel and/or Mac nail poish, is formaldehyde one of the ingredients?

TIA

Thanks for the replies!

Nars, really? That's great! I will check out their colors. :smile:
I was really hoping Chanel nail polish would be formaldehyde-free. I'll look at the ingredients when I go to Saks this week.

^^ That would be awesome! I would love it if OPI stops using formaldehyde. I love their colors! I will check the ingredients on the OPI bottles next time I go to the beauty supply store.

Thanks!

I found this on the OPI website:

"Formaldehyde has never been an ingredient in OPI Nail Lacquers or Nail Treatments.
Some OPI Nail Hardeners do contain formaldehyde, while others are formulated without it to give consumers a choice. The levels of formaldehyde are more than four times lower than the safe levels established by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In fact, according to a study conducted under the auspices of the California authorities, the levels of formaldehyde, even in nail salons, are no higher than those found in many common work places, such as offices, where no nail products whatsoever are present. OPI continues to search for effective alternates to formaldehyde."
Hope that helps.
Here's the link as well: http://www.opi.com/aboutCaresmain.asp

Redorfe, Thanks for the info.

chipmunk-pnw, Yeah, I don't want any bland colors. :smile:
I want to try the navy, burgandy and chocolate colors.

"Formaldehyde has never been an ingredient in OPI Nail Lacquers or Nail Treatments."

I find that hard to believe because almost every bottle of OPI nail polish that I have checked contained formaldehyde. The only one that doesn't contain formaldehyde that I have found is OPI "Start to Finish" which is a base & top coat in one. Maybe they recently stopped using it. :s

I found Formaldehyde Resin listed under ingredients for the Russian Navy OPI polish (just came out a few months ago). I couldn't read the ingredients lists on any of my other types of polish (print was super tiny). Maybe you can email OPI & other polish companies. Also, you could probably find Formaldehyde free polish in a natural foods store. Good luck.

I'm not a big fan of them, but those dry nail polish strips don't have any formadehyde or toulene. Avon sells them and there's another brand that makes them for Walgreens now!

I found Formaldehyde Resin listed under ingredients for the Russian Navy OPI polish (just came out a few months ago).

That's the color I was going to check to see if it contained formaldehyde. Thanks for posting about it.

I couldn't read the ingredients lists on any of my other types of polish (print was super tiny). Maybe you can email OPI & other polish companies. Also, you could probably find Formaldehyde free polish in a natural foods store. Good luck.

I should email OPI and ask which of their polishes does not contain formaldehyde and also ask why they say their Nail Lacquers or Nail Treatments never contained formaldehyde when obviously they do. I googled formaldehyde-free nail polish and found quite a few online. Well, I guess I can always order formaldehyde-free polishes online if Zoya doesn't have the color I want.

Thanks again Redorfe!

I'm not a big fan of them, but those dry nail polish strips don't have any formadehyde or toulene. Avon sells them and there's another brand that makes them for Walgreens now!

I've never heard of those. Thanks for mentioning them.
Zoya nail polish is formadehyde and toluene free as well. I guess I'll just stick with that. It's just that last time I went to the beauty supply, I didn't find the shades I wanted and was hoping that more brands didn't use formaldehyde so that I can have a wider selection. :girlsigh:

I'm sorry to hear that you are allergic. Unfortunately I use OPI so I have nothing to suggest. What kind of reaction do you get to it? And is it only when you put the nail polish on the nail and/or if it accidentally touches your skin?