What brand is comparable to Hermes quality?

May 16, 2020
I keep reading how Hermes quality is amazing- the leather, workmanship, stitching & so on.
But for those of us who can't afford the Birkin & Kelly & can't play the Hermes game (which makes the bags even more costly), what brands have similar quality but more affordable & accessible/approachable?
I'm interested in solid well made every day shoulder or top handle bags that are very lightweight but won't slouch & don't need to be babied.
Nothing with obvious logos either; no totes.

I don't care for chanel or lv but I admit to being shocked when I read threads about the crooked stitches, poor quilting or other quality issues. What bags don't suffer from these?

If you appreciate and seek out the hand stitched manufacturing of the Kelly / Birkin, you’ll have a tough time finding an alternative from a fashion house.

However most H bags are machine stitched which means you might be satisfied with items from Ralph Lauren (Ricky),Ferragamo, Tods, Delvaux, Moynat, Loewe, Bottega Veneta, Loro Piana, Valextra, Faure Le Page, Launer etc...

H offers bag spa services in-house but so does Delvaux.

It really depends on what you are looking for!

If you've ever lusted after an exotic leather piece from Hermes - you should check out Laurus. They have beautiful structured, top-handle bags. I hear their new collection of bags are hard to get a hold of, but the price point is reasonable for genuine croc. Attached some pics from their instagram.

Attachments

• 0E505047-5459-4E68-8C82-9AF1CDA50154.JPG
    0E505047-5459-4E68-8C82-9AF1CDA50154.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 54
Robert Horn, a small, traditional leather goods manufacturer from Vienna, Austria. Excellent quality, simple designs, very understated, excellent price point. One of their shops and atelier are close to my workplace, so I like to drop by now and then to check out their latest pieces (they tend to stick to a few designs in many colours, and don't follow fads):

I keep reading how Hermes quality is amazing- the leather, workmanship, stitching & so on.
But for those of us who can't afford the Birkin & Kelly & can't play the Hermes game (which makes the bags even more costly), what brands have similar quality but more affordable & accessible/approachable?
I'm interested in solid well made every day shoulder or top handle bags that are very lightweight but won't slouch & don't need to be babied.
Nothing with obvious logos either; no totes.

I don't care for chanel or lv but I admit to being shocked when I read threads about the crooked stitches, poor quilting or other quality issues. What bags don't suffer from these?
No logo high quality forever bags: Tod's and Bottega Veneta

Tod's for their price point for sure. My D bag from '09 has been carried to death and not a popped stitch, seam, lining or hardware issue. Worth every last penny for sure.

Bottega Veneta but only for bags made between 2004 to late 2018. Impeccable quality and craftsmanship. Anything made after the new creative director is absolute garbage. You'll have to browse the pre-loved market.