What Brand Did You First Start With?

I've loved handbags all my life - but the designer that started my serious handbag collection was Marc Jacobs. I fell in love with a multi-pocket shoulder bag he made (2003) that I saw at NM. It never seemed to get marked down, and every time I walked past the handbag dept, I stopped & drooled over the $725 buttery soft, lightweight bag.

My husband agreed to buy me an MJ bag as an anniversary/bday gift, as long as it wasn't outrageously expensive. The shoulder bag was still full price, so I chose the Frankie bag in sage green, which was marked down 30%. Once I got that bag and started using it, I knew I was hooked!

I remained loyal to MJ for a few years, until I got my hands on my first Balenciaga and discovered other great bags I just loved & had to have. Even though my collection now consists of bags from various designers, a majority of my bags are MJ who will always be my first & true luv!!:heart::heart:

p.s. I found that multi pocket shoulder bag on ebay about a year ago (in ivory, not navy blue), and finally bought it for $90!!!

Great thread topic!

I started out with Guess as a teenager.

College-age, I upgraded. My Prada nylon messenger was my first purchase at age 19, and I still have it (eight years later)!

Then I moved onto LV, Ferragamo, and then Gucci. I bought some Burberry and Coach along the way, but didn't fall in love with these designers.

Now its Marc Jacobs.

if i count the bag that i first fell in love with, convinced my mom to buy, and they promptly stole for a year, then chloe. the first designer bag that i actually bought for myself was a marc jacobs.

My first bag that I paid attention to the name was a liz claiborne. It was a speedy shape and I really liked it. It ended up falling apart though and I was dissapointed that I had spent $40 (yeah) on bag that fell apart.

I am sure i went through many bags prior but my first major designer bag purchase was a Gucci shoulder bag..it was full size but not huge...then i got another similiar Gucci not long after. Then i fell in love with and saved for a Fendi what i know now as a speedy (dr bag type handbag...it was big!) and then I got a red Coach leather city bag. It was not really big enough but it was in my budget as opposed to bigger coaches and i really liked it. If i needed to carry more like for school i kept keys/wallet/lipstick in the coach and used a tote too.
I was in my late teens when i bought those 4...i wish i still had them. I know after i pd over 400 for the fendi about 17 yrs ago i think i had about $5 left in my wallet LOL The irony did not escape me but i did not care. It's in my genes. I went years w/o a nice bag due to limited finances and having to buy baby paraphanilia for 4 kids but now i;'m back in the shopping for bags saddle. I have to be careful not to go overboard but i make it a priority. i don;t buy a ton of pricey things for myself so i justify it.

My Mom was a bag addict so I got started early. I remember her buying me a small version of her Chanel quilted bag during my pre-teens. In my teens she would get me Coach bags as gifts. My first real purchase with my hard earned money is a Gucci bucket tote in the early 2000s, which is still around today. Now, I prefer under the radar designers over screaming labels or iconic bags. I think they try harder in creating better quality bags. Plus, it adds to more to my individuality. ;)

My first high end was LV. But before that I was really into Cynthia Rowley, Cole Haan & classic leather Coach! & I did buy 2 nylon Pradas when I was about 14.

Now it's LV, Chanel & Prada!